It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2008, 03:50 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nyxie63 HB UserNyxie63 HB User
Hida scan - what to expect?

I'm scheduled for a Hida scan next month (finally! yay?). More than a few folks on this board have had them so....

How was your experience?
What was it like?
What can I expect?
Do they take pictures? I hope so. Love it when they take pictures!

Thanks!

Old 02-25-2008, 07:41 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Re: Hida scan - what to expect?

Hida scan is scheduled for next Thursday (March 6th). It'd be really nice if someone would let me know what I'm in for.

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2008, 12:12 PM   #3
(female)

mizzaj HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyxie63 View Post
Hida scan is scheduled for next Thursday (March 6th). It'd be really nice if someone would let me know what I'm in for.

Thanks!
Hi Nyxie,

I had my HIDA scan about a month ago. For me, it was no big deal. First they injected a radioactive tracer into my vein and I had to lie still on my back under the camera for 1 hour. It was boring, but I tried to fall asleep.

After that they injected the CCK hormone. It was done quickly-- over 3 minutes, but I've heard that they sometimes phase it in more slowly. At any rate, other than a slight pressure in the gallbladder region that lasted two minutes, I did not feel any pain, nausea or some of the other symptoms that others experience. Although, I did feel like I had more stomach pain for a week after the test, but I don't know if that's related at all....my ejection fraction came back at 7%, which is very low. Still, my GI doc and primary care doc don't think/know if it's gallbladder troubles because my symptoms aren't classic gb symptoms. So now I'm having more tests done-- a barium swallow, etc. My primary care doc might even have me repeat the HIDA scan.

All in all, it was no big deal for me. Even those who have had cramping and nausea say that it only lasts a few minutes (from the CCK injection.) The test is long-- about 2 hours, but it was relatively uneventful for me. I hope you find the same....good luck!

Old 02-27-2008, 04:41 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mizzaj, thank you for sharing your experience. I'm not thrilled at the prospect of getting this done, but guess it has to be done in order to get answers. So tired of this chronic abdominal pain. Its going on 3 months now and not getting any better.

Thanks again!

Last edited by moderator2; 02-27-2008 at 06:51 AM.

Old 02-27-2008, 12:21 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ol'Line Rebel HB UserOl'Line Rebel HB User

Boring.

That's what.

I don't recall if we always get injected with something or not, or just us CCK versions, but that's the "worst" part, I guess. Getting an injection.

Then you have to lie down face up on those hard slab tables and try to be still for at least an hour (can't recall - please forgive, I've had gastric-emptying too which is basically the same thing with slight tweaks). If you can handle it, you can read something holding the book above your head. Or try to go to sleep. Or just look at the monitor and try to decipher what's going on with that GB image (if they let you look - my place does).

I should also mention I had absolutely no pains from this. Some people do, apparently. Not I.

Basically, not scary, but long and time-wasting. You can also view it as relaxing. If only they'd let us have a cot mattress or something!

Last edited by Ol'Line Rebel; 02-27-2008 at 12:22 PM.

Old 02-27-2008, 06:52 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

ZoeGirl HB User

I am one that had the nausea/pain during the CCK injection. After the test, I tried to search to see if that meant something, but it doesn't seem to. My gallbladder wasn't functioning at all (0%) which I haven't found much info about, but I read some people who had a normal functioning gallbladder that also had nausea/pain. I don't know that it's an indicator of a problem or not.

The pain/nausea didn't last long but it was unpleasant. The only comfort I can give you is, if it does happen it WILL pass and you won't throw up (I thought for sure I would but they assured me no one had before me).

It was relatively simple; go in, sit down, get an IV, lay on the table and they do the rest.

It is VERY boring, but I wasn't feeling well (before cck) anyway, so it was a nice peaceful rest. I found the screen showing the progress interesting, although it is really slow.

My gallbladder was removed a week later.

Good luck with your results and feeling better!

Old 02-29-2008, 04:15 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks all!

Not sure I'm feeling any better about this, but at least know what to expect. I'm so hoping this will finally give an answer. Don't know what to do if it comes back "normal" like everything else has.

Thanks again!

Old 02-29-2008, 05:20 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

diamond79 HB User

I had one a few years ago and it was pretty boring actually. I had an IV going into the vein in my hand for the "tracer". After about an hour of lying still under a machine, I was injected with the CCK over a few mins. Had to wait another 30 mins. then was able to leave. I wasn't able to see anything as they had the computer across the room. I did have a tiny bit of nausea and stomach pain after the procedure on the drive home, but it only lasted about an hour. My GB was funtioning at 90% so that wasn't the problem but I still had to have it removed due to polyps and inflammation. I would suggest bringing a book or something to pass the time. Good Luck on your procedure!

Old 03-06-2008, 08:07 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Well, the scan's done. Got it done this morning. Can't say it was the highlight of my day, but all in all, wasn't too bad. They told me it was going to take 1-1/2 hours. I ended up being in there for almost 3.

And yes... boooorrrriiinnnngggg! My ocd started to kick in while lying there. Had to fight the urge to get up and start scrubbing the machine, the air vent on the ceiling, the walls.

Instead of a CCK injection, they gave me the most godawful "ice cream" to eat. I don't think there was a single natural ingredient in there. Artificial berry flavor. Bleck! Made me a bit nauseous and my abdominal pain got a little worse. I'm not fond of needles, but I would have rather had the injection.

Anyway, I get my results in the next few days. Hopefully, my doc will be a bit more proactive this time about getting back to me with the results. Otherwise, I might go over and camp out on his doorstep.

Thanks again for sharing your experiences! It really did help my anxiety.

Closed Thread