It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2008, 03:38 AM   #1
(female)

karen07 HB User
Pain under left Breast and gas in chest

Hello, I am new to the board - I have been experiencing gas in my chest with pain under my left breast where the ribcage starts. I have had this for about 2 years but has gradually got worse - I used to have a break from it but now it is constant and causing problems at night - Over the years I have seen my GP and he said it was anxiety causing heartburn. I have sufffered form anxiety but at this time was ok with it. After asking to be sent to a Gastro Doctor and being refused because he said he did not think I needed to see one and my best bet would be to do yoga I fianally flipped and insisited he send me to one (something that I would not normally do but just had enough) He reluctantly did so. In the meantime I had a mammorgam which cam back clear. The NHS cancelled my appointment 4 times to see the Gastro over a period of 10 months so my husband deceided that we went private even though we could not afford it. My GP did a referall letter and in this stated that he thought all my problems were Anxiety related. As soon as the Private Gastro Doctor read this he also thought I was having anxiety problems - I said that yes I have got anxiety now becasue I am in so much pain - I had been off work for 5 months and could not do anything. The pain and gas in my chest was soo painful that is was causing anxiety. He sent my home saying that I had ibs and anxiety.

We paid £150 for that - we still was not happy so phoned the Private doctor again and insisted as we were paying that I should at least have some tests - I had not even had a blood test done nothing - so he sent me to have a Barium Enima - which came back normal - anf then he said he would relucantly do an endescope - this cost £1,300 but said he knew that he would not find anything as in his opinion i was suffering from Anxiety.

Anyway after the procedure he came back and said that he was very surprised but I had a Small Hihetus Hernia and Free Flowing Gerd and he did not think my Valve was working properly.

He booked another appointment. At this appointment he said that he would like to treat my anxiety before he treated anything else and gave me a perscription and to go back when i thought my anxiety was better.

We cannot afford to go back as all in all we have spent £2.000. The anxiety tablets he gave me had very bad side effects and so have tried another 3 lots but they have all made me worse. Finally my 5th NHS appointment came so went to that again with my husband and when he found out that I had gone private he said he could not help me and it would be best if we went back to see the Private doctor. We stated that we could not afford to go back and that the NSH should be helping us and we only went Private because THE NHS cancelled 4 times - he gave me Ozmopole (spelt wrong - whcih I have been on before no help and a ibs tabelts Colpramon, also spelt wrong)

They did not help at all and have gone back to GP on many occasions and they just keep saying anxiety and have given me Lanzaropole and Diazapam for night so I am trying them. I am still suffering form the pain under left breast and gas - and am getting very depressed - my anxiety leavels are high at the moment - but the docotrs do not seem to realise that the anxiety is not causing the symtoms but the symtoms are causing the anxiety. I am also scared that it could be heart related as my dad had angina at the age of 39 and I am 41 - Been to ER 3 times and has ECG everything normal.

Does anyone else have pain under left breast and I belch for ENGLAND and sometimes food seems to get stuck for a couple of minutes under left breast - I have tried eating less - and avoiding certain foods but no help any advice as doctors are not helping - dont know what to next!!!!!

Thanks

Karen

The following user gives a hug of support to karen07:
Spirityah (04-02-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to karen07 For This Useful Post:
djc4294 (07-30-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-27-2008, 11:35 AM   #2
(female)

Mstic1 HB User
Re: Pain under left Breast and gas in chest

Hi Karen,

I'm sorry to hear that you are feeling so bad.

I too am experiencing the exact same thing. I have pain under my left breast and under my ribcage (high on the left). I was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia in December of 2005...but it hasn't bothered me much until this past Christmas. I saw my primary care doctor in January and she said it was just heartburn and gave me protonix. Two weeks later I had my husband take me to the ER because even though I knew I wasn't having a heart attack...it felt like one. They did an EKG which was fine and blood work which was fine. They said I might have a stomach ulcer and gave me a prescription for Sulcralfate which is suppose to coat the stomach. That kind of helped but not really. I know for sure that I have IBS and GERD but this pain feels different so I made an appointment with my gastro doctor. He had me do an abdominal ultrasound last week and those results were fine. He is going to do an endoscopy this coming Monday to see what is going on. I told him that I think it is my hernia that is causing the pain. He said he will check it out. I hope that I can get an answer on Monday because the pain is really bad sometimes. I have found that a heating pad kind of helps.

I hope that you get some answers soon too!

Last edited by Administrator; 04-16-2011 at 12:59 AM.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:32 AM   #3
(female)

tata33 HB User

I have also been there. I just went to the er a couple of weeks ago cause I had had the flu and yet I was still sick a week later. This dr. I saw is very good cause he is older and knows more than some of these newer drs. well anyway he gave me some flu med and a shot and after we left about 5 min. later we had to turn around and go back and he had to give me some maalox and some 7up cause i was hurting so bad I thought I was having a heart attack and it was scary and after I burped a few times we was able to leave. I have had so many stomach test done and still nothing has been found except a small spot in the middle top of stomach but they all just think it is irritation cause nothing else shows up and they give me meds to help with anxiety and depression and it only makes it worse if the meds cause gas or nausea then I hurt worse and i agree it is the pain causing anxiety not the other way around they just don't understand they have not been there. If they would they would be scared too. If you find out anything let me know.

Old 04-10-2008, 07:45 AM   #4
(female)

babag1 HB User

I Am 68. Two Weeks Ago I Went To Er With Chest Pains Located In The Center Of My Sturnum And Under My Left Breast. I Had Had These Pains Before But By Laying Down, They Usually Went Away. Aftr About 6 Hrs Without Letup And Being A Woman, I Went To Er. To Shorten The Story..after A Day In Icu With Multiple Tests And After I Got Out I Had A Stress Test . They Could Find Nothing Happening With My Heart. Weeks Later I Had Scheduled My Usual Colonoscopy And Talking To My Dr. I Asked If It Would Be Could To Have An Upper Endo At The Same Time And That Perhaps That Pain Was Due To Digestion. They Found A Stomach Ulcer And Esophagitis (irritation And Corosion From Reflux). I Never Have Heartburn Or Upset Stomach So It Wowed Me. I Always Thought I Had A Catiron Gut And What A Surprise. Two Years Before That I Had An Upper Endo And Only Found Irritation In My Throat Area But No Ulcer. I Had Had That Because I Seemed To Get Food And Water Sometimes Stuck In My Throat That I Could Burp Up But No Heart Burn. That Dr. Stretched My Esophagis And Things Were Better. I Am Now On Prevacid For 4 Weeks And Will See My Doctor That Did The Scope Tests In 4 Weeks. I Too Also Have Had Anxiety At Times And Doesn't Help It. Don't Really Know What Kind Of Stomach Ulcer I Have And If It The Kind That Antibiotics Will Cure. Time Will Tell.

The following user gives a hug of support to babag1:
Spirityah (04-02-2011)
Closed Thread