It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2008, 08:44 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

hessie28 HB Userhessie28 HB User
I am so sick..........

I don't know how much longer I can take feeling this way. The nausea started the end of Jan. The pain on the left under the ribs started the beginning of Feb. I went to the ER then. They said it was a reaction to the antibiotics I was taking for my bladder infection. Although it started before then. That was their answer. I went to the Gastro. He did an Endoscopy, Upper GI Small Bowel and a Cat Scan. All normal. So it is 3 weeks later and my entire abdomen hurts. I can hardly eat anything. Lost a few pounds. The nausea is horrible. I just can't take the pain anymore. I have been to the dr. every week. I'm going again this afternoon. How do you get the dr. to understand how bad it is. It is bad enough to go back to the ER. I did a home UTI test and it shows white blood cells. I looked at my blood work and my Alk Phos was about 25 points higher then the highest range. So don't know if it is a Liver thing, stomach thing or kidney/bladder thing. What tests are left? Ultrasound? The dr. thinks it may be scar tissue from my gastric bypass surgery. Something has to be done. I am use to chronic pain from my back and nerve damage in my leg but this pain is unbearable. Also my stool is thin and very light. Sorry to mention that but I think related. It hurts to lean forward. It hurts to do anything. I take pain meds for my back and that is the only thing that helps the abdominal pain. Only get an hour or so relief when I take it. Can't sleep or anything. So I will see what the dr. says today. Thanks for listening to me vent. If anyone can understand, you guys can.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2008, 09:13 AM   #2
(male)

john00-us HB User
Re: I am so sick..........

sorry sorry to read that. Sometimes doctors don;t take us seriously.
have you tried some chinese medecine for the pain. try alternative stuffs.
did you start having the pain after your gastric bypass?

Old 02-25-2008, 09:33 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi, My gastric bypass was in 2002. I had nausea for almost a year after because the connection inside kept closing. It is fine now. Also had my gallbladder out in 1992. I guess it could be scar tissue pressing on the organs. Who knows. I'll see what the dr. says today. He seems to listen and everything but I don't think he realizes the urgency and pain.

I have to be careful on taking any supplement or herbs. I take alot of other meds. So have to watch interactions. Sometimes good things can be bad when you take other things. Thanks for the advice though. Everything helps.

Last edited by hessie28; 02-25-2008 at 09:35 AM.

Old 02-25-2008, 02:59 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Update

Hi, I saw my dr. He feels bad he can't figure out what is wrong. He is sending me tomorrow for two ultrasounds. One for the abdomen and one pelvic. Since I have had so many surgeries he wants to check. He suggested I see the surgeon that did my gastric bypass. He said maybe they need to do exploratory surgery to see if the tests missed something. I told him it is killing me. No other way to say it. He changed my meds. He said the acid meds can sometimes make your stomach worse. The nexium did. He also said I had a small hiatal hernia but that should not be causing a problem. So hopefully the new tests will show something and they can fix it. It does get much worse after I eat. I'll keep you updated. Thanks.

Old 02-26-2008, 01:16 PM   #5
(female)

Mstic1 HB User
Re: Update

Hi - I'm sorry to hear that you are in so much pain.

I too have been dealing with unexplained abdominal pain for a month now and I'm convinced that it is my hiatal hernia. I have pain on under my ribs on the left hand side (sounds like yours). I have been to the ER twice in the past month and they don't believe that a hernia could be causing this but I'm not convinced. I did some internet searches and hiatal hernia can cause a lot of issues. I have an endoscopy scheduled for Monday so hopefully that will reveal something.

Hope you can find out what's going on.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:00 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

I found out that I also have a small hiatal hernia. The dr. said it could not be ruled out with the Endoscopy and the Upper GI confirmed it. He said no way can that be causing all the pain and nausea. So who knows. Had two ultrasounds today so will see how it goes. He wants me to see a surgeon. I go on Monday. I have a feeling he will want to do exploratory surgery to see what is going on. With all my prior surgeries they think scar tissue. I am at the point where I'll let them do it. I need to be able to function again. The meds he gave me seem to be helping a little. He gave me Chlordiazepoxide/Clidinium which is an anti spasmadic (sp?) and Ranitidine which is for the acid. So today was a little better. The pain is still there.
Hope you feel better and make out okay with the endoscopy.

Closed Thread