It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2008, 01:25 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

osteoblast HB User
Testing for Lactose Intolerance

My gi doc did not seem too interested in testing for lactose intolerance the last time I spoke to him. I cut out lactose for awhile but continued with yogurt which was ok for sometime. Now I seem to be having a reaction to the yogurt. I would like him to test me so I can know.
Have people here been tested when suspicious of lactose intolerance? I am wondering if most docs just say stop lactose and see what happens. I am just confused about whether it may be the lactose or something else that I should be looking at.

Old 02-26-2008, 01:48 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pika HB User
Re: Testing for Lactose Intolerance

I was given a lactose and fructose breath tests order form but I haven't rung up for appointment yet. They said around 90% of Asian are lactose or fructose intolerance. What happen if the test come back positive? Is that mean I can't take any milk product and fruit? I am scared. I have too much test and I am very tired. I think I give up already.....

Could you tell me what symptoms that you have? What test have you gone through?

Take care.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2008, 01:54 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

RetiredDirector HB UserRetiredDirector HB User

I was tested and was positive. I also have IBS and had a real bad bout with Clostridium difficile (C. diff), so I was going through a real bad period at the time. Today, I buy Lactaid (Lactose free milk) and have it with cereal and seem to tolerate it just fine. One day, however, I ran out and used some of the real milk we had and boy oh boy, what a difference. After that episode, there wasn't a doubt in my mind!

I think it's important for you to be tested, so you know for sure. I don't understand why he would be reluctant to test you.

Old 02-26-2008, 02:59 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

osteoblast HB User

Director-What test did you have to test lactose intolerance? Do you just get a lab slip and go to a lab? Or, is it a procedure that is set up with the doctor?
I have no idea why the doctor just didn't go ahead and order the test.Now 6 months later I still have symptoms and am concerned. I need to get this settled.

Old 02-26-2008, 03:06 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nyxie63 HB UserNyxie63 HB User

Osteo,
It's also possible to be intolerant to casein, which is a protein found in milk. That seems to be more likely a culprit as there isn't very much lacose (if any) in yogurt. The bacteria consumes lactose during culturing.

You might consider doing a challenge. Abstain from dairy for a week or so. Then try some lactaid and see what that does. Wait a few more days and then try regular milk. That's what I did and found I was casein intolerant rather than lactose intolerant.

You could also look into goat's milk products. They're surpringly good.

Old 02-26-2008, 03:19 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

osteoblast HB User

Nyxie-I checked the National Instit. of Health ,looking at lactose intolerance. There it is stated that one cup of yogurt has 5gm. of lactose. And, one cup of milk has 11gm. So, it is a little less than half but lactose is still there. I had read that because of the probiotics in yogurt that it should be easier to deal with the lactose.

Old 02-27-2008, 03:40 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Osteo....I had the test run some time ago, so I don't remember what they call the test, but you go to the doc's office and drink a liquid (about 8 oz I think) and then you have to blow into a machine that tests you. You stay and repeat the blowing part every so often (sorry, it's been awhile), but I think it takes about two hours to complete the test.

Sorry, about being so vague and not remembering specifics about the test, but like I said, it was done several years ago. Also, I have no idea why your doctor is reluctant to testing you. You would think if the patient specifically asks for it, he would be glad to set it up.

Old 02-27-2008, 04:23 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pika HB User

Is once tested Lactose Intolerance, would it for lifetime or just a period of time? Any chance will back to tolerance again?

Old 02-29-2008, 12:43 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

I think in my case, at least, this is the way I'll be from now until the day I die. I developed mine after stomach surgery from a perforated ulcer. It was a ulcer that required they remove about 60% of my stomach and some small intestine, and I had that in 1975. So, I have been this way for quite some time now and expect things won't change.

Old 03-02-2008, 08:34 AM   #10
(female)

ilovemydogs HB User

Alot of yogurts contain whey, which is horrible for lactose intolerant people, (it is basically consentrated milk sugars and fat-- makes yogurt richer, creamier). Regular plain yogurt, or yogurts that are 100 % natural do not contain whey and should be just fine on your belly, (as the active cultures in yogurt feed on sugars (lactose) making yogurt naturally very low in lactose.

Also, it doesn't matter if it's cow's milk, goat's milk, or kangaroo milk-- lactose is a milk sugar found in milk. (wink)

Old 03-20-2008, 04:38 PM   #11
(male)

Johnjames68 HB User
Question Re: Testing for Lactose Intolerance

I have been taking those Lactaid pills, but over the last year they have been not as effective as they used to be. What can anyone tell me about that I can take that will work now??? Any advice with a link would be greatly appreciated.

Closed Thread