It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2008, 09:40 AM   #1
(female)

mizzaj HB User
Why do I feel better when I drink alcohol?

I've been meaning to post this for a long time because it is baffling to me, so here goes: I'm not a big drinker and never have been. When I was having issues with eating about a year ago, my GI doc suggested I have a glass of wine or beer with dinner because it would relax me and increase my appetite. So I started doing that. Low and behold, not only does it relax me (duh!), but it dulls any pain I have and allows me to eat more. I also feel like I don't have the same digestive problems afterwards-- excessive fullness, belching, etc. I told this to a doctor friend of mine who said it meant that my stomach problems were probably largely psychological. I didn't like hearing that, but I could see how it might play a role. Has anyone else experienced this? I don't drink much, and I've even heard that alcohol delays gastric emptying, which I think would be worse for me, but in terms of how I feel after I eat when I've had a drink, it's actually better. How weird is that?

Any thoughts???? Thanks!

Old 03-04-2008, 01:01 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

ZoeGirl HB User
Re: Why do I feel better when I drink alcohol?

Hi Mizzaj,

Sorry you are still not feeling well. I am still not 100% but the bad days are becoming fewer.

Commenting because I think it's weird that alcohol would make you feel better. It does the opposite to me and before I started having the problems I have currently I found drinking made my stomach burn/hurt so I stopped even the beer/wine I'd have while cooking (this is way before I ever got sick/gallbladder, etc).

I do now again occasionally have a beer while cooking/before dinner but I can't have more than one or I suffer burning low in my abdomen (I can NOT drink red wine, ever).

I'm still losing weight but it's slowed. Down 35lbs now.

Good luck to you! I hope you feel better soon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-04-2008, 04:06 PM   #3
(female)

mizzaj HB User
Re: Why do I feel better when I drink alcohol?

Hey Zoegirl,

Glad to hear that your bad days have become fewer and fewer.....that's great!

It's weird-- I've heard some people say that alcohol gives them terrible heartburn and pain, and I read another post where the poster said the same thing as me-- that having a glass of wine helped her to eat. I don't know what to make of it, but when my GI doc recommended it, I figured I may as well try it. Maybe my stomach issues are more anxiety related....who knows?

I do not drink red wine. Only beer or white wine. I'm afraid that red wine is too acidic and would upset my stomach. I stay completely away from that and any other type of alcohol. Weird....

Closed Thread