It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2008, 02:51 PM   #1
(female)

xochar23 HB User
Unhappy results from new GI doc.

i have a small cyst in my small intestine which is causing bile to back up into my stomach... the "heartburn" i feel is from the bile
removing the cyst, because of its location, could ultimately lead to death
the medicine to try and speed up digestion to keep the bile out of stomach will be :
Protonix in the morning
erythromycin 4 times a day
carafate at bed
i am hoping that this will relieve the pain
however, i am very upset... either i will have to live on those medicines for the rest of my life or have a life or death surgery if the cyst grows
i am so young and have practically my life ahead of me.. i do not know how to handle these results but thought i would share them with you seeing as it is not the gallbladder as i once thought or acid reflux

Old 03-05-2008, 03:59 PM   #2
(female)

serenityls HB User
Re: results from new GI doc

Sorry to hear about this cyst. How was it diagnosed?

Seems weird to be on antibiotics 4 times per day for the rest of your life? Or even long term.. And, am sorry but I've not been keeping up with the board, what sort of pain are you having?

Maybe a second opinion might be a good idea. Good luck with everything and try not to worry.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2008, 04:11 AM   #3
(female)

xochar23 HB User

yeah this was my second opinion.. i was much more happy and impressed with her than with the other doc.
they found the cyst during my first upper endoscopy.
the antibiotic side effect is diarehha sp? which speeds up digestion so by giving me a small dose of the antibiotic, it will speed digestion up enough but not enough to cause bad diahrrea
i have heartburn after eating virtually anything.. but as she explained, during my endoscopies, bile fluid is jus hanging around in my stomach, it is bile that is causing my symptoms.. the cyst is not causing a blockage, it is just slowing things down, causing the bile to back up into my stomach...
it is very complicated and scary considering if it grows the insist i get the life or death risk taking surgery.. im just hoping it wont ever grow =(

Old 03-06-2008, 11:22 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

hessie28 HB Userhessie28 HB User
Re: results from new GI doc.

Sorry to hear about that. I would get a second opinion from a surgeon. Why can't they go in and take it out and bypass a small portion of the intestines? I had gastric bypass and they bypassed a big portion of my intestines. It does not sound right. The Erithomycin is an antibiotic. How long would you have to take that? That would not get rid of a cyst. It would get rid of infection. I have been taking the Carafte for my nausea after I eat. It is not bad but who wants to take it forever? Seriously, I would seek a second opinion. Why not do something about it now before it gets bigger. I thought thee was someway they could get stuff like that out with some type of Endoscope. This is all just my opinion. I get mad when doctors say live with it. Feel better.

Old 03-06-2008, 04:06 PM   #5
(female)

serenityls HB User

Oh, OK about this being the second opinion.

Sorry that you're going through this.

Seems the medical community should have a way to alleviate your fear/concerns. You should not have to continuously worry about a cyst growing etc..

Good luck and try not to worry.

Old 03-06-2008, 04:44 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

RetiredDirector HB UserRetiredDirector HB User

It's not a good idea to take antibiotics for long term. Especially the "mycin" ones, as they can cause Clostridium difficile (C. diff), which is uncontrollable diarrhea. I know, I had it. It is not a fun thing to have, believe me. I had what I call "accidents" twice in public places and several time nocturnally. Please check with an another G.I. Doc before you go on these meds. Mention the possibility of getting C. diff.

Last edited by RetiredDirector; 03-06-2008 at 04:46 PM.

Old 03-06-2008, 05:30 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ol'Line Rebel HB UserOl'Line Rebel HB User

I'm guessing the reason for the Erythromycin (antibiotic) is to "speed digestion", as mentioned by char.

For those of us with gastroparesis (GP), erythromycin is a low-level med believed to help some people with this slow/paralyzed stomach disease. Meaning, trying to get the stomach moving at all.

This doesn't mean char has GP, just that since her stomach contents are being blocked, speeding up the stomach some more might get more of that stuff out in a more normal fashion.

Old 03-06-2008, 06:25 PM   #8
(female)

xochar23 HB User

gastroparesis is exactly what my doctor wrote down as the reason for the medications she prescribed...
she is trying to break this horrible "heartburn" sensation i feel after eating by speeding up digestion.. i am going back on april 8th.. depending on how i am doing, meds will be cut back
the normal dose for erythromycin is 400 mg, i am on 40 ml 4 times a day.. only equaling 160 ml... enough to speed it up but not enough to have diaherrea
i wish we could just simply have a surgery to remove but it is right near where the liver and pacreatic ducts are, the risk is too high.. the trauma hospital of my state, Yale for those who know CT, had a meeting with all the surgeons and they all agreed to not touch if it does not change in size.
my concern is if it does grow, i have no option but do get the surgery. they all seem so skeptical of my surviving after that surgery and leading a normal life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol'Line Rebel View Post
I'm guessing the reason for the Erythromycin (antibiotic) is to "speed digestion", as mentioned by char.

For those of us with gastroparesis (GP), erythromycin is a low-level med believed to help some people with this slow/paralyzed stomach disease. Meaning, trying to get the stomach moving at all.

This doesn't mean char has GP, just that since her stomach contents are being blocked, speeding up the stomach some more might get more of that stuff out in a more normal fashion.

Old 03-06-2008, 06:30 PM   #9
(female)

xochar23 HB User

thank you very much.. it means a lot to talk to people who know and understand somewhat what it is like to go through similar issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenityls View Post
Oh, OK about this being the second opinion.

Sorry that you're going through this.

Seems the medical community should have a way to alleviate your fear/concerns. You should not have to continuously worry about a cyst growing etc..

Good luck and try not to worry.

Closed Thread