It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2008, 07:01 PM   #1
(female)

kim333 HB User
Missing Gallstones ?

I finally got in to have my surgery on friday the 14th of march after 7 months of pain. I had two scans.. both showed up around 5-7 stones about 3mm in size. I was also having all the classic gallbladder symptoms such as pain in the centre and right hand side under my ribs, between my shoulder blades, diarrhea, constipation, occasional nausea and lots of heartburn. It all started after i gave birth to my son who is now 8 months old. So the surgery went well but they couldnt find any gallstones in there, they still removed the gallbladder but i dont understand where they could have gone. They were very clear on the ultrasound. A couple of weeks ago i had some pretty constant pain, could this have been them passing through or something? Or could they have spilled out during surgery being so small? I dont have my follow up appointment for another 10 days so thought i would post on here and see what you all thought. I was still having dull gallbladder pains right up to the day of the surgery though, can you still have gallbladder disease without the stones? Or do u think my problems are completely unrelated to my gallbladder. Im now really worried that it wasnt the problem at all, there s a strong history in my mothers side though.

Old 03-15-2008, 05:53 PM   #2
(male)

Collector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB User
Re: Missing Gallstones ?

Gallstones following pregnancy are common. It is very possible that you passed the stones prior to surgery.

It is also possible that you had stones, but the pain and problems could have been caused by a gallbladder that stopped functioning. Many people have stones w/o symptoms.

You will read accounts on this board of people who have had the gallbladder removed and continue to have symptoms. It doesn't mean that the original problem had nothing to do with the gallbladder. Sometimes the biliary ducts out of the gallbladder can develop problems and pain.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread