It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2008, 08:41 AM   #1
(male)

joe9 HB User
Annoying side effects with Colestid

Well, it's been a few months since I last wrote and I don't know if there are others out there having similar problems, but I'm still taking 2 pills of Colestid in the AM, and while I am still having complete control over my bile diarrhea, I'm STILL going through the annoying side effects (so I think) of bitter sour taste in my mouth on a regular basis, as well as a coated whitish tongue.

It's been over 6 months now that I am pulling my hair out with these side effects, and I am thinking about trying Welchol now... I've already been through different brands of Cholestyramine before I began Colestid.... I'm very glad any of these meds work wonders at stopping the D, but I get gas, acid, or just really sour mouth....

All of this began when my old brand of Cholestyramine by Eon Labs Inc. (which I was taking for 5 successful years) STOPPED becoming available after they were bought out by Sandoz (and theirs is NOT the same formula, no matter WHAT they've claimed!!). Thanks again for ruining my life, Sandoz. But I'm still searching.

Last edited by moderator2; 03-16-2008 at 08:46 AM. Reason: to make a new thread from the old one: http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?p=3488957

Old 03-27-2008, 12:01 PM   #2
(male)

jimmymc HB User
Re: Annoying side effects with Colestid

Joe9,
I had my gb out Jan. 2007. Bile diarrhea is a real problem. I have been on Welchol with good (not great) success. But now I have an issue with that product... the cost!!
I guess since I had met my deductible with the surgery expenses last year, my insurance took care of the bill. Now that I am having to pay myself (until deductible is met) I realize how expensive it is.. over $180 per refill.
Do you know about the cost for cholestyramine or Colestid?
Thanks,
Jimmy

Last edited by jimmymc; 03-27-2008 at 01:23 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2008, 03:36 PM   #3
(male)

joe9 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmymc View Post
Joe9,
I had my gb out Jan. 2007. Bile diarrhea is a real problem. I have been on Welchol with good (not great) success. But now I have an issue with that product... the cost!!
I guess since I had met my deductible with the surgery expenses last year, my insurance took care of the bill. Now that I am having to pay myself (until deductible is met) I realize how expensive it is.. over $180 per refill.
Do you know about the cost for cholestyramine or Colestid?
Thanks,
Jimmy

Jimmy, I have insurance and my co-pay for Cholestyramine and Colestid has always been only $15 for a one-month supply. What has always been great for me is that I have been able to stretch the stuff for longer than that, like taking only 1 pack per day of the Cholestyramine (instead of 2 packs per day), and only 2 pills/2 grams per day of Colestid (instead of 4 pills/4 grams).

There have been a few times where I've had to pay my own money though, and I found that my own cost for a month's supply of Cholestyramine and Colestid were around $75 - $80. But as I said, since I always was able to make one month's supply of Cholestyramine last 2 months, and Colestid 3 months, it wasn't so bad.

The problem for me has been unbearable side effects, even though the bile diarrhea is kept under control with both types of medicines. I am keeping WelChol in my back pocket as a last alternative...

Last edited by joe9; 03-27-2008 at 03:37 PM.

Old 03-27-2008, 03:48 PM   #4
(male)

joe9 HB User

... by the way, today I decided to take Jimmy1979's advice (I wish he was still out there) and I just got the unflavored granules version of Colestipol (Colestid) with the 5 gram scoop. This is another in my neverending attempts at trying to find something which agrees with me and will not cause me any problems... I have been searching desperately for 9 months now.

I have been having semi-success with Colestipol 1 gram tablets, taking 2 of them each morning.... I don't bother taking more because 2 grams is enough to control my bile diarrhea, so I figured, why bother? But I have had TERRIBLE dry mouth/bitter taste/white tongue for the past 6 months, and am taking a stab in the dark at thinking that if I switch to the GRANULES, and if I take 5 grams with the scoop, maybe somehow this will eliminate side effects.

I don't even know for sure if my oral problems are due to the Colestid (they actually began with the Cholestyramine first, which was why I tried switching to Colestid tablets!) . I have seen many doctors -- some think my tongue problems are due to Thrush, and others say it's just due to stomach acid/reflux. I wonder --- is it bile that's coming up?? Am I not taking enough Colestid to soak it all up??

The uncertainties have long ago taken their toll already, with much anxiety and misery. Searching and searching with no definite solutions... All I can say is, the meds stop the Bile D.... but I feel miserable....

Closed Thread