It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2008, 02:48 PM   #1
(male)

Johnjames68 HB User
Question Looking for help with my Lactose Intolerance

I used to take those Lactaid pills, but over time they seem to not be as effective. I used to take 4 every time I thought there was any dairy in my foods. It just became too much of a hassle and way too expensive. All I do now is stay away from dairy, which I truly hate!!! Any suggestions for an alternative to that?

Old 03-27-2008, 09:50 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User
Re: Looking for help with my Lactose Intolerance

Johnjames68,

I don't know how to make you less sensitive to milk products, but I can suggest that you do most of your own cooking, from scratch. I have gluten intolerance, and that is what I have learned to do to avoid surprises. I purchase single foods and mix them myself. I do not purchase products that have a long list of ingredients. I bring my own foods for lunch when I'm out for the day, and I bring my own breakfast items when I travel. And I learn to ask a lot of questions when I dine at restaurants or eat at friends' homes.

Perhaps someone else has some suggestions to help you actually digest milk products better.

--Rheanna

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2008, 05:40 AM   #3
(female)

Luv2skate HB User

I've been lactose intolerant with IBS for 35 yrs. Honestly the intolerance does become worse over time. When I was first diagnosed I could tolerate foods with a small amount of milk. I could eat most butter products. However, since then I have to look at the ingredients in everything. You also have to be careful as some dairy products are disguised. The words begininning with lacti mean there is dairy in the ingredients. An alternative to ice cream is sorbet.

Old 04-23-2008, 06:53 AM   #4
(female)

WarGerbil HB User

Staying away from dairy is really not all that bad. I realize I may be biased because I eat a vegan diet, but there are plenty of really good dairy alternatives out there! (Cheese notwithstanding... which, btw, soy cheeses often contain casein, a milk protein) There are tons of different brands of plant milks (soy, rice, oat, nut, hemp, etc...). I think it would be difficult NOT to find one you like. Soy Delicious makes some awesome soy ice creams. I suppose you could try goat dairy since it's easier to digest, but if you are lactose intolerant it's probably best just not to eat dairy.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:30 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

Most of the milk sugar ( lactose ) is used up in the culturering process of making yogurt and kefir--- Have you tried these dairy products?
They seen to not affect many people that are lactose intolerant.

Also, you can buy lactose reduced milk.

Last edited by Harry; 04-23-2008 at 10:32 PM.

Closed Thread