It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2008, 11:09 AM   #1
(female)

Sillyme03 HB User
Chronic Upper Stomach Pain

My 15 Year old has been diagnosed with Barrett's Esophagus. She has had constant stomach pain for abour 8 weeks. Its in the middle, just under her chest. She says she feels full all the time, but is not eating much. She wakes up with this pain and its here all day. Nothing seems to make a difference, but occasionally it feels like a worse spasm and it hurts more for a while, then goes back to normal pain.

She tried nexium twice a day, and it helped a little, but she was getting dizzy, so for the moment she is back to Prilosec, which does not seem to help as much, but no dizzy issues. Now we just started on Aciphex, but so far nothing.

Dr's say the pain in not typical Barrett's as its all day long and not helped by anthing. It is mostly in the middle below her chest area with a feeling of fullness at the top of the stomach area below chest.

She has had a CT scan of the area (normal), xray, endoscopy and Colonoscopy(normal). So far just the endoscopy biopsy showed barretts, but according to the gastro we see, this is not a common symptom of daily pain with barrett's. It is keeping her from school as its alwasy hurting. Sometimes she says it spasms a little and hurts more for a while.

Anyone else had or heard of this. Any help would be appreciated. We are going to a well regarded pediatric gastro ( the one we go to is ok, young) on April 29th for a second opinion.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2008, 09:52 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

B143C HB User
Re: Chronic Upper Stomach Pain

I think you will find the pediatriac gastro doc much more helpful. My son had pancreatitis last year. We didn't know what it was at first, either did the doctor we saw. They just said his stomach was filled with fluid, the surgeon was on the way and so on. I was a nervous wreck! The surgeon sent us to the children's hospital. They knew exactly what it was. When we saw the pediatric gastro doc I felt much better. He knew a considerable amount more than the other docs because all he saw was children. Since kid's bodies operate differently perhaps that symptom is common in kids with Barretts or maybe he can give you more insight than the other doc. The best advice I can give you is try not to panic during the pain. My son did so much better when I was calm. (which can be difficult to do I know.) Just say a little prayer and go on to that doc for the 2cnd opinion. I think you are doing the right thing. It could also be that sometimes thinking about it provokes the constant pain. I was sick with some issues last year and the more I thought about it the worse it got. Being nervous can do such weird things to someone. I will keep your daughter in my prayers.

Old 03-29-2008, 10:19 AM   #3
(female)

Sillyme03 HB User

Thanks so much

The pediatric gastro (even though she is 15) we will be going to is a really good one. We actually saw him on TV recently on mystery diagnosis. Problem is it takes forever and a day to get in to see him. I am trying to stay calm myself. I have had some anxiety issues recently and have much stress for various reason, although my hubby thinks its perimenopause for me because I have all the symptoms.

Thanks so much and yes a prayer would be fantastic.

Old 04-09-2008, 05:42 AM   #4
(female)

Sillyme03 HB User

Well, went to the pediatric gastro. He looked at her tests so far, got some bloodwork done and then said it was anxiety.

I just don't know how it could be anxiety stomach ache 24 hours a day, but the pediatrician said it could be anxiety also.

I don't know where to go from here. Another opinion, another type of Dr?

Pain is upper abdomen area, below chest.

Old 04-13-2008, 11:05 PM   #5
(female)

patsyw HB User

Hi, I just read your post and had to let you know this happened to me when I was about 18 yrs. old... I would double over in pain so much that sometimes I would go to emergency for relief...All they would give me was a antacid drink.. Diovol.. It worked immediately and I was out of pain until the next attack,,, the doctor at the hospital said I had a nervous stomach... I will never forget that period in my life as that middle part of my stomach gave me such severe pains... I am 56 yrs. old now and still have stomach problems but not that pain anymore thank goodness... I hope this will work for her...If not try liquid gaviscon or another one... it must be liquid as the liquid coats the stomach right away and stops the pain faster...

pw

correction in spelling Diovol

Last edited by patsyw; 04-13-2008 at 11:09 PM.

Closed Thread