It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2008, 06:48 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

ZoeGirl HB User
Harry: Too much fiber question

Harry,
You seem to be the board expert in fiber. When I was having my most horrible pains, I was told to take fiber, miralax, levbid and probiotics. I did as told and around the same time my gallbladder was removed for not functioning. I seemed to have gotten worse after that. I was still being religious about the fiber and miralax - I'd do anything to feel better. They ran more tests and nothing was really found. I finally stopped taking the fiber and miralax and.. started feeling better.

I understand too much fiber can cause problems too, so how do you know what amount is right for you? I am terrified to start taking any. I'm not having the horrible pain I was having before (it was constant) but I still get these cramping attacks a couple times a month and now a dull ache/pressure under my left ribcage (typically after eating). I want to be better all the time, not some of the time. I sound greedy now, because I used to cry everyday from pain and now I'm not... but I'm tired of hurting.

Is there a way to find out a dosage maybe, per size person or is one brand better than another? I also found miralax caused severe nausea for me, unless again, this is something I should take a smaller dose. I'm just scared to try

Side note: I've never been a "regular" person. I've only had BMs a couple times a week my entire life. My gastro said that some people can do that and be fine.. and I had for years. I can't seem to go more than that no matter what I try.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2008, 11:36 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Re: Harry: Too much fiber question

Zoe,
Sorry that I am late in answering.

I am not a believer in taking a laxative on a regular basis.

I wrote a post on the Information Archive thread at the top of the Bowel Disorders board--- page2 post #8-- please read it and tell what you are doing.

It sound like you need to eat the food with more insoluble as well as soluble fiber--- 25 to 35 grams daily and drink 6 to 8 glasse of water daily as well as get a moderate amount of exercise daily.
Pain that you have described is usually the type caused by cramping and spasms --- the result of a lack of magnesium in your system.

I take psyllium twice daily and have for 24 years-- I use to take Metamucil but the last 10 years or so I have taken Wal Mart Equate brand --- Orange flavored-sugarfree.

God Bless---Harry

Closed Thread