It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2008, 03:59 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

April7 HB User
Non-Ulcer Dyspepsia

Hi everyone. Hope you're doing well.

After many negative tests my doctor just told me today that he thinks I have non-ulcer dyspepsia. I am a bit bummed out over this to be honest because I was really hoping it was something treatable and with an end in sight.

My symptoms are a pretty chronic indigestion type pain, in the very upper portion of my stomach. It isn't GERD, nothing goes into my chest. It's just a burning pain in my stomach. The only thing that triggers it is fat. I can eat everything else. When I eat too much fat, I get this god-awful pain in the upper portion of my stomach that brings me to the ER. The pain radiates to the right and around to my back. It feels like a burning hot knife going into the upper portion of my stomach.

This doctor ordered a HIDA scan. It was my 2nd. The first one was 35% and the second was 78%. He said that even though the fat issue sounds like gallbladder, the test results do not support that. I agree. However, he did say that sometimes people with normal results do have significant relief after surgery, and when they take the GB out there are signs of disease. He said that if I get worse, he will consider sending me to a surgeon. But, for now he's going to assume non-ulcer dyspepsia. I am taking Carafate 4 times per day, Protonix once per day and Benty before meals. I haven't had the excruciating pain in a few months because i avoid the fatty foods that trigger me. I can handle 6 grams of fat or less per meal. I am slowly increasing that to see what I can handle, since I am barely holding onto 100 pounds. I am healthy at about 115 or 120, and have lost 20 pounds since November when this began.

So, I guess I'm wondering if anyone else has been diagnosed with this, and what things are working. Though I disagree that it's stress related, and though I still think my gallbladder is to blame, I am willing to do anything at this point. Anything. So, I'm hoping someone can share their experiences with me and give me some suggestions. Or, just some reassurance. I feel pretty alone in all of this and am really tired of not being able to eat at a family get together or go to a restaurant. It's frustrating and sometimes I feel pretty down about all of it. Anyone else out there?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2008, 08:40 PM   #2
(female)

nikkilewis HB User
Re: Non-Ulcer Dyspepsia

I hope you get this April. I don't know what I've got. I've had indigestion for several months now. I can't eat any fats either. I am healthy at 110, so I can't afford to lose any weight either. I can tolerate milk, but not cheese. I also was able to eat a brownie, which was nice. For the most part, I'm living off of Healthy Choice meals. They're not great, but when you get hungry enough, it doesn't matter.

My doc put me on OTC Prilosec 2x/day. It didn't work. He also gave me Carafate, which sent me to the ER (last time I went to the ER was 20 years ago!). One of the less common/rare side effects of Carafate is severe stomach cramps. I've never had a side effect from a drug before, but I sure had it with Carafate. I was in a great deal of pain. ER did an US of my gall bladder, and found no stones. I'm scheduled for an endoscopy this tuesday. I'm so paranoid now that I'm terrified of what they might find.

My symptoms are:

- burping all the time
- can't tolerate fatty foods
- if I eat fatty foods or anything fried or spicy, I get SEVERE indigestion, and I also have pain between my shoulder blades.
- sometimes when I belch, liquid comes up into the back of my throat
- constantly have bits of mucus that seems to come from the back of my throat (that's been happening for YEARS)

So I'm thinking that it could be an ulcer, LPR, GERD, or something of that sort. Of course, I do get a little anxious b/c it's gone on for so long.

This all started back in December. I have been under quite a bit of stress since last November, so I'm wondering how much of a part that's playing in this.

I had a colonoscopy in September 2007 due to blood in my stool. Turned out to be just a hemorrhoid.

BTW, I'm 37yrs old.

How is your stomach doing? Are you better? If so, what did you do to make things better? I hope you are (and that you can share your secret w/me!)

Closed Thread