It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2008, 11:49 PM   #1
(female)

cls91 HB User
Could this be gastroparesis?

Hello everyone. My name is Casey and I'm 16 years old. For the past 5 or 6 weeks, every time I eat or drink something (anything really, even water) I end up vomiting it back up, but not all of it (sometimes - occasionally I do). I'm almost always nauseated. Not only this, but I also have accompanied abdominal pain around the middle area. The pain seems to get worse after eating, and I get full pretty quickly (which isn't normal) and I don't feel hungry enough to eat three meals throughout the day. Most days I eat one. Also, there have been days where I'd eat something and end up vomiting it back out 9-12 hours later and I can still identify what it is just by looking at it. My bowel movements have also changed; they went from having one everyday to one every 3-5 days (4 days is around average) and sometimes when I DO have a bowel movement, my stool has a light brownish-orangey color to it, along with its normal color on the other side of it (my mom says that two-tonal stools usually mean that you don't have enough liquid in your stomach...is this true?) I've been to my family doctor, who thought it was my gallbladder, who then referred me to a surgeon who thought it was also my gallbladder, but when that proved to be wrong, he suspected a blocked bile duct, and when that was proven wrong, the surgeon sent me to a gastreologist (Sorry...I cannot spell that to save my life) which I am seeing on Thursday.

Lately, though, I seem to have been getting worse with the pain and vomiting.

But I was just wondering...does this sound like gastroparesis? If so, what are treatments for it and is it curable? Is it common for people my age? What changes in lifestyle will I have to make? I've lost 30 pounds so far because of this and I am very tired of throwing up. And I just want an idea of what this could be.

Thank you ^^

Last edited by cls91; 04-01-2008 at 11:52 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2008, 07:52 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

sam78 HB User
Re: Could this be gastroparesis?

cls, it sounds somewhat similar to gastroparesis. Being it is thursday, I assume you saw the doctor today. Post back what they said. How did they prove it wasnt your gallbladder??

Old 04-04-2008, 01:54 PM   #3
(female)

cls91 HB User

He didn't really tell me much yet, but he did tell me that my food does seem to not be digesting very well at all.

I go in for an endoscopy on Monday.

They did an ultrasound, blood tests, and a MRCP to prove that it wasn't my gallbladder.

Also, I've noticed that there is a lump a little bigger than the size of a softball in my abdomen, a little above my bellybutton and off to the right. It started off small, so I thought it was normal and that it had always been there and I had just noticed. But my mom noticed it yesterday after we got back from the docs. She thinks he noticed it and that may be why he's scheduling the endoscopy. So, now we're looking at maybe some type of intestinal blockage. But can gastroparesis cause that?

Old 04-04-2008, 02:04 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

sam78 HB User

well an intestinal blockage was my second thought. If you have just gastroparesis than the endoscopy with show nothing. You would have to have gastric emptying study to diagnose it. If you food is not digesting then yes I would wonder about GP. I take some digestive enzymes to help me digest food as well as domperidone (since I cant take reglan) to help move food through. The lump is definelty worrisome. Sounds like you could use an abdominal CT with contrast. They usually cant get low enough with an endoscopy to see anything in the intestines, they would have to do a lower GI scope. Good luck.

Old 04-04-2008, 02:06 PM   #5
(female)

cls91 HB User

Ahhh, I see. Thank you ^^

Old 05-23-2008, 06:04 PM   #6
(female)

spaz38p HB User

Well hello e1 i am new to this and was reading and just wanted to put some input i have gastrepresis and go through alot of the same symptoms. I have tried the reglan, had a reaction to it...Been put on erthomicin, and since i have barrettes esphogus that did nothing but make my heart burn worsen. i go go University of Michigan hospital and they did a outpatient thing and injected 200 cc of botox into my stomach to try and relax the muscles to allow the food to pass through...My stomach after the emptying test is only digesting food at 30% so i go through alot of pain and vomitted alot. So far that hasn't helped much either but it may for some people just another thing out there to try and help and ask dr about..I just had a mrcp done said i also have mildly prominate cbd whatever that is i have no clue..but i will soon find out when i get the test results back because i have no gall bladder that got taken out along time ago...Is there anyone that can give me a clue what that is cbd...i'm starting to research it i'm only 37 and have more stomach problems then i can deal with...since the foods not going down neither is acid which is making my barrettes esphogus worse ...i'm at a no win situation it seems...I read on one of these blogs someone said ativan works to help the nerves is this true...Cause i'm so stressed out over everything hurts so bad at times i'm missing work had to go on fmla. This is a really bothersome problem...Will write and ck back later ...good luck to e1..

Pam

Closed Thread