It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2008, 01:01 AM   #1
(female)

rozbel HB User
re right sided pain

i just feel the need to rant because i dont know how much longer i can put up with being woken up in the early hours with this pain. i was woken at 4.30am this morning and then again at 7.30am. i cant tell where the pain originates from but it ends up on the right side under my rib cage. i had the pain twice yesterday 5.30am and during the day at 11.am, i also felt nausea for most of yesterday. i thought that was gone along with my gb which was removed in dec. the pain wakes me most mornings and although it doesn't last long its excruciating while it lasts. i had a us scan which showed nothing at all wrong, a colonoscopy which appeared normal, so what is going on? the medical profession keep talking about scar tissue, but how would scar tissue form before my op since this has been going on since nov. it stopped for about 2 weeks after my gb op but then came back with avengence. my gb was full of stones and was chronically inflamed so had to come out but the only benefit i've had is that i dont get the pain an hour after i've eaten. im now keeping a diary of when the pain happens and what the pain level is so that i can show it to the surgeon when i go back, since this cant be normal. its getting to the point where im frightened to go to sleep and as a result of this and being woken im getting really tired. when i had my gb out they found bowel adhesions could they have reformed in 2 weeks and be causing the problem? i just dont know. there is also a small defect (an opening in the stomach wall near naval incision) could that have anything to do with it? these questions and many more are going round in my head. i just want a normal life again. sorry to rant but its getting me down and if anyone has a similar problem and or has had any answers to it i'd be grateful for the info

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2008, 06:56 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

ZoeGirl HB User
Re: re right sided pain

What about sphincter of oddi? Did they check to see if the ducts were all working OK? I'm with you as far as I had my GB out in Nov too. It's been a rough ride and for the most part I am better, but still having problems. I haven't gone back because I am so sick of them telling me nothing is wrong AND it's expensive. Since I stopped losing weight and in general feel better I've just been dealing with it.

I've read others have an ERCP which is an examinations of the biliary system.

I've never had right sided pain at all, and I didn't have any stones. My GB was functioning at 0% and was inflamed. I had cramping/spasms in the lower left region prior and after removal (worse after removal for months) and now they have finally lessened. What's new the last 3 weeks is pain under my ribcage on the LEFT side. It's not cramping but a steady/long term pressure pain. It can last a few days, worsen, then go away completely. I can't get comfortable, it's like someone is just pressing their fingers into me - I can't lay on my left side at all. I have NO idea what that is and hope it just goes away.

OK didn't meant to turn that into me there I wouldn't think adhesions would form that quickly, not enough to cause problems - hey I am no doctor.
I do wonder about your biliary system and if it's been checked. I've read a lot of people can have those problems after GB removal. I see you are in the UK so I don't know what your options are with health care. I'd hope you'd be able to make suggestions like this and get some tests if you have not already.

Old 04-16-2008, 01:19 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Linda_in_NJ HB User

Rozbel, I had the same exact thing happpen to me several years ago right after my gall bladder was removed. I ended up with the same horrid pain and like you, not lasting too long. I forgot what test my gastro doctor did but they did find stones and stuff called sludge in my bile ducts. I ended up needing an ERCP, which is like an endo except it has different gadgets on the end for opening up and draining the bile ducts. Maybe that is your problem also. It sounds like it to me. I would my doctor back and tell him what you are experencing. Good Luck. Linda

Old 05-01-2008, 08:30 PM   #4
(female)

carmelmo HB User

My gosh - I cannot believe I found this thread.

I have been trying to research adhesion pain online and came across your posting. I have suffered from pain in the upper right side for over 30 years, but it has gotten quite severe since I had my non-functioning gall bladder out a few years ago. The pain is quite severe which only worsens upon walking or doing any kind of strenuous exercise. I have had numerous tests (CT scan - with and without contrast, colonscopy, upper GI, etc.) and the doctors say it COULD BE IBS or possibly adhesions from my C-section years ago and then the gall bladder. This is getting very frustrating as the pain seems to be intensifying over time. If I move the wrong way, sometimes it feels like something has actually twisted around inside and literally takes my breath away. Since we have lived in 4 states, I cannot tell you how many doctors I have gone to but eventually stop going because they look at me like I am crazy. I am just supposed to believe it is IBS even though none of the "treatments" they give me for that, have helped one bit. I feel like IBS is a catchall for anything they cannot figure out. A couple of doctors have mentioned that it most likely is adhesions but after reading some information, I am so afraid I will end up coming out with a bag. I am just so frustrated and hope that someone reading this thread might be able to help. I know this is crazy but when I was pregnant (30 years ago), I always thought my son was kicking me in the ribs and found the day before he was due that it was his head the whole time (they did not do the ultrasounds back then until they realized he was breach the day before I was due). Since that time, I would always get slight pain in the area, but ever since my gall bladder, it gets to more like a 6-7 on the pain scale. I cannot even walk around the block without stopping from the pain. My husband had his gb out after me and had a different surgeon. He told me I could have a small stone in the bile duct which is causing the pain. I am just at a loss as to who to try to work with - my Primary, a gastroenterologist or who????? I have just relocated to Kansas so am starting with all new doctors again.

Closed Thread