It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2008, 10:00 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

xersen HB Userxersen HB User
Red face Unrelenting Sour/Bitter/Metallic taste in mouth

I hope this isn't mis categorized, but for almost a week, I have had a constant bad taste in my mouth.

It's rather difficult to accurately describe, but the best i can do is say it is metallic/bitter/sour in nature. it feels like its emanating from the front area of my mouth, but I can't tell if its my tongue, saliva, or teeth/gums.

I went to the dentist about it and they saw no reason for the bad taste. So today i went to my primary doctor. he didn't really think much of it and ordered a comp metabolic panel, lipid panel, and a TSH check.

this may sound like its not a bid deal, but it is diving me CRAZY. its insanely uncomfortable, and it is so bad it borders on pain and as of late it seems to finally be interfering with my ability to accurately taste foods. basically, it's really running me down.

I've done the basic googl'ing on this, but haven't found much. Has anyone had any experience with this?

Thanks

The Following User Says Thank You to xersen For This Useful Post:
littrelllee249 (04-13-2012)
Old 05-15-2008, 01:12 AM   #2
(male)

matt66 HB User
Re: Unrelenting Sour/Bitter/Metallic taste in mouth

In July 2007, I developed shingles on my tongue. It was not determined if I had blisters in my throut, but later test indicated there were none in my gastrointestinal tract. I was hospitalized after they found the shingles in my head. Long story short I have had a bad taste in my mouth for 6 months but lately it taste like i am sucking on a cube of salt. By any chance do you have acisd reflux?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2008, 01:14 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

xersen HB Userxersen HB User

interesting. i can only imagine how irritating that must be.

no acid reflux that i am aware of.

Old 05-16-2008, 02:13 PM   #4
(male)

joe9 HB User

Are you kidding? I'm practically LOSING MY MIND with a chronic bitter/sour/metallic taste in my mouth ... and it's been going on since September 2007. My tongue is always whiteish, and there's gunk on it. I've been going to doctors of all types, and some have said it's Thrush, and others have laughed off the Thrush diagnosis, saying it's reflux..

My story is that I have been on bile sequestrants since 2002, for chronic bile diarrhea after having my gallbladder removed. From 2002 - 2007 I took a great brand of Cholestyramine that worked wonders, which unfortunately was bought out by another company last year. Ever since, no matter which new substitute brand I try, it results in my having this horrible bitter taste and white tongue. It's driving me crazy and I don't know what to do. I've switched to other brands of meds for the bile diarrhea -- I've tried also Colestid, but the sourness remains. I have not tried Welchol yet, but that will be my last alternative...

Sometimes it's so annoying that I really panic and think I have oral cancer or some other serious disease. But I've been to a couple of GI guys, as well as two Ear/Nose/Throat docs, and that has not been a concern. Still, how can anyone live like this indefinitely!!??!!

I'm fairly sure that my problem is a side effect due to the Cholestyramine and/or Colestid. I am facing a serious dilemma though, because I NEED to live on one of these bile sequestrants so that I may be able to have a life and control my chronic bile diarrhea -- but at the cost of what appear to be such extreme and annoying side effects!! I don't know the way out of this hole. I have even tried calcium supplements to try and control the D instead of the meds, but they don't work for me.

Old 05-23-2008, 04:14 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

RetiredDirector HB UserRetiredDirector HB User

I have been prescribed Cholestyramine for my IBS and chronic diarrhea too. My doctor also put me on narcotic pain meds for the pain and to slow the bowel. The brand of Cholestyramine I get is by Eon Labs. Have you tried that brand. I don't notice any side effects from it. I hope this helps you.

Old 05-26-2008, 04:36 AM   #6
(male)

joe9 HB User

Director - are you sure your brand of Cholestyramine is "Eon Labs"? Because they were bought out by Sandoz, and you can no longer get the Eon Labs formula anymore (even though Sandoz claims it's the same). But the facts are, Eon never gave me any bad side effects for the 5 years I took it; but the Sandoz version has made me ill from the first day I tried it, like flicking a light switch on in one shot. I've been having a poor quality of life ever since.

That's the mess I have been in since June 30th, 2007 (almost a year now!). I had taken Eon Cholestyramine since 2002, and it was a Godsend for me. Then, Sandoz bought out Eon and I have been having problems on the Cholestyramine ever since I changed. This has lead me to Colestid, all over the place, back and forth... I have had stomach problems and a persistent sour taste and coated tobgue ever since going off the Eon version. Can you verify for me the brand?

Last edited by joe9; 05-26-2008 at 04:38 AM.

Old 05-26-2008, 08:31 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

RetiredDirector HB UserRetiredDirector HB User

I checked and mine is actually outdated. I haven't used it much and it was outed as of last year. Sorry, I thought I could give you some help.

Closed Thread