It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2008, 11:10 AM   #1
(female)

Brittannettez HB User
Smile Could this be gallstones?

Hi Everyone,

For the past week now, I have been having some sharp pains in my upper middle abdomen. Now they're not unbearable pains but they still hurt and are starting to worry me. I have made an appointment to see the doctor, But in the meantime, Does anyone have any idea of what this can be?

Thanks.

Old 05-28-2008, 11:21 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Could this be gallstones?

Sounds more like an ulcer if it's in the middle. The gallbladder is on the right, under the ribcage. The pain would be right in the middle of the curce of the ribs.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2008, 11:25 AM   #3
(female)

Brittannettez HB User

Is there over the counter medications for something like an Ulcer?

Old 05-28-2008, 05:02 PM   #4
(male)

eihcet HB User

Not everyone experiences pain in the Upper Right area, so, it could be GB. Depends on all the symptoms and even if it is GB they'd likely run a series of tests to rule out other things first.

If it's an ulcer or you suspect as much, they'd put you a pretty strong antacid. In the interim, you could try Nexium or Pecid AC or something and see if it helps.

If there is an ulcer then they also check for H.Plyori bacteria and prescribe an antibiotic cocktail to help. Some natural things you can try in the interim are DGL Licorice (helps coat the stomach lining) and some people try Mastic Gum capsules and I think the other is Manuka Honey. Pepto Bismol is also supposed to be fairly effective in treatments, however, it causes the stools to darken and if you have a bleeding ulcer it might be difficult to distinguish between the more serious internal bleeding and the color change from pepto, so you'd probably want to wait on that until the Doc says so.

Personally I don't know how well any of those work, but, I have read a lot about DGL Licorice and it's impressive.

Last edited by eihcet; 05-28-2008 at 05:06 PM.

Closed Thread