It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2008, 06:17 PM   #1
(male)

AlanPi HB User
Chronic Cholecystitis - What can replace the function of GB?

Hi, for unknown reason my gallbladder has not been functioning, so I was wondering what goes on when the gb does not eject the bile, and what if the gb is taken out?

My understanding is that the gb stores and concentrates the bile, until needed. Since I have no gallstones under ultrasound and no pain, just fatigue, I wonder if my gb is functioning (or not functioning) as if it's simply not there.

Apparently after a meal, I will feel very fatigued. This keeps me up at night. If there are no bile to help the digestion, is there anything else that can take over the functions of the bile???

Last edited by AlanPi; 05-31-2008 at 06:18 PM.

Old 05-31-2008, 06:45 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Chronic Cholecystitis - What can replace the function of GB?

Have you had a HIDA Scan? It shows the level of functioning for your gallbladder. Below 35% is considered non-functioning and should be removed. When the gb is removed, a bile duct is left to take the place of the gb. You need to be on a very low fat diet for several weeks after removal in order for the duct to begin functioning properly.

Hope this helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-01-2008, 01:55 PM   #3
(male)

AlanPi HB User

Thanks, yes I did have HIDA it came out at 7%, which proves that my doctor had been ignoring my condition for the last 5 years...

I will have CT scan done in two days to find out what's wrong, and most likely have my gb out finally.

I have experienced extreme fatigue after food intake, and now I am suspecting Hepatitis B. Hopefully having the GB out is the answer!

Old 06-01-2008, 02:27 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

ZoeGirl HB User

My GB was functioning at 0% and I'm not so sure removal was the answer. After a long and painful recovery (5 months of extreme pain, 40lb weight loss) I am right back where I started. Not sure how having a GB that doesn't function at all and removing it would change any.. it hasn't for me.

Now I suspect my pancreas is having problems and am seeking answers again after ignoring it for a few months. My GB was removed in November.

Old 06-01-2008, 05:31 PM   #5
(female)

Princess05247 HB User

Hi Zoe, sorry to hear that after having your GB out it's back to the same. I'll know next week the final results of how mine is functioning. If it's not normal, i know my doc will want me to take it out. I've been having problems for 3 years with diarrhea and losing 30lbs. My doc kept saying that it wasn't the problem, but i insisted on the HIDA scan. I'm hoping i can keep my GB and take some meds to help it function. Knowing my luck it would be worse after they remove it. I heard that it can do that to alot of people.

Old 06-01-2008, 09:39 PM   #6
(male)

AlanPi HB User

Hi ZoeGirl, sorry to hear taking out GB didn't work for you. I have researched many ways to improve the gallbladder, but apparently it is irreversible to restore its ejection rate. I drink apple juice, which is supposed to help clean out gallstones (I don't have any) and liver, and it helps me greatly. I sip on it every two hours, and my condition improved after two weeks. A few days after I stopped drinking it because of yeast(!) infection, the fatigue came back again ;(.

I have a friend who resisted taking her gb out for years, and she is dealing with it well. She eats small portions and non-greasy food, and apparently is doing OK. I don't know if I can do the same, but having the gb out is a chance to restore a possible normal life. Having it out might also prevent other gb related complications later in life, I hope.

Last edited by AlanPi; 06-01-2008 at 09:50 PM.

Old 06-02-2008, 04:33 PM   #7
(male)

AlanPi HB User

Hi All,

After some searching I found this:

Tyler Lipotropic Complex (Bile Salt?)

Anyone tried this stuff?

Last edited by moderator2; 06-02-2008 at 06:18 PM. Reason: posted commercial website

Old 06-03-2008, 05:45 AM   #8
(male)

eihcet HB User

The liver produces the bile, whatever doesn't get stored in the GB gets dumped into your small intestines directly. Without a gallbladder you still digest food it's just not as regulated (if your GB is bad, it's not regulated that much either), either way you need to be more careful about the foods you eat, etc.

Closed Thread