It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2008, 03:48 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ol'Line Rebel HB UserOl'Line Rebel HB User
burning, sharp pains in stomach area

Hi all - not sure if I should even bother posting this yet, as I have another gastroenterologist (GE) appointment Friday anyway.

In any case, I need to gripe if not get any ideas from others.

The last 2 years have been digestive "hell" for me. OK, I'm not in bad shape compared to some people, but in relative terms, I am NOT normal and am constantly having nagging problems, if not downright excruciating.

So I've been said to have acid reflux (sudden onset) for the last 2 years; bad enough that it reaches my throat and causes throat problems (called laryngopharyngeal reflux). Bad enough that I ended up with 2 Nexium/day and 2x 150mg Zantac at night. That all seemed to at least control things up to last year, when the ear-nose-throat doctor declared me "clean".

Right after that I wanted to try to get pregnant; in that time period, incidentally, I was suffering lots of "burning gut" which coincided with my changing birth-control pills (lower dosage) until I stopped them - I continued burning some.

I had a baby 12 weeks ago, and my post-partum has been like a microcosm of my digestive issues over the past. My reflux seemed to get worse (maybe my hiatal hernia got bigger?), then I got terrible periodic abdominal cramps, low down, every hour then half hour. Eventually it also featured diarrhea. I feared I got C. Difficile infection, because it started when I was on a 3rd course of antibiotic post-partum (don't ask; MORE medical issues) within about 6 weeks; my GE agreed. He had me take several tests and a colonoscopy 2 weeks ago. Friday is to discuss all this.

Before the colonoscopy, my GE had me take pro-biotics to see if it would help. I don't know if it was coincidence, but I felt so much better over the next week; almost immediately, in fact!

However, ever since the colonoscopy, I've felt burning somewhat around my gut (he did say I was inflamed in the colon - maybe colitis) and worst of all, it seems in my stomach.

I am now often getting sharp burning point pains in what I think is my stomach - but it could be my colon (upper part) too, I guess. I fear either ulcers, or severe inflammation of my esophagus/stomach junction and something in my stomach or the pyloric junction. It's almost constant, and sometimes is quite severe. I just don't think it's the colon partly because I have had good bowel movements since pro-biotics.

Bear in mind I've been off Nexium for a year now, because of pregnancy/pre-preg/breast-feeding. I've only been allowed the Zantac. So, I fear I'm getting either bad gastritis or ulcers, along with real esophageal damage starting. I've not had it this badly before in my stomach area; I was on Nexium almost from the start of my acid reflux (it was an obvious, sudden onset; I "burp" all the time).

Anyone have this kind of pain? Stomach? Colon?

The Following User Says Thank You to Ol'Line Rebel For This Useful Post:
declorleon (11-18-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2008, 02:35 PM   #2
(female)

londoner70 HB User
Re: burning, sharp pains in stomach area

I hope everything goes well for you on Friday and you get some answers. I an not sure if my reply is of any help, but I somehow can relate to you as I have stomach problems as well andwas diagnosed with laryngopharyngeal reflux by an ENT 3 weeks ago. My problems started with stomach burning, and sharp stabbing pains last August. Saw a GI had a gasteroscopy done and he said I had gastritis, put me on laszaprazole 30mg and, and I was H-pylori posotive. The bacteria was successfully eradicated by antibiotics had breath test and furrther gasteroscopy confirmed, but burning continued, he then perscribed nexium 40mg, but the pains still carried on, I came off the nexium for 2 weeks to have another gasteroscoy this time loads of burning stabbing and hunger pains, and the gastteroscopy this time confirmed gastritis and erosive duodenitis but no ulcers. and the histology didn't even confirm gastritis, I changed GIs, and the second GI performed gasteroscopy and endoscopy, but nothing(I was on nexium and carafate), but now my thhroat is in trouble, after I eat I feel a build up on my throat, loads of phlegm during the day, and on 2x40mg of nexium still suffering, and scared what all this acid is doing to my body.
All I can say to you is that I know how frustrating it is , I have been suffering for a year and I am scared that this acid is damaging me.
But if it helps with all the pains that I had when they scoped me there was no ulcers, so if you are having normal bowel movements that is a good positive sign.
How long were you on Nexium 80mg before you got better, and what test did your ENT do to diagnose you with LPR? mine just looked with that flexible tube that goes done through the nose.

Wish you all the best, and please let me know how you get on?

Old 06-05-2008, 06:35 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi there and thanks. I was on 2x for perhaps 6 mos when it seemed I wasn't suffering throat problems all the time. The ENT checked me with the scope every time I went to him. I still looked "bad" after 2 months (he talked about whether we might consider "other options" if I didn't get better - i.e., surgery), but didn't see him again for 6 months. At that time he said I looked all better. So definitely after 8 months on 2x Nexium + 2x big Zantac I was better.

I felt better this week; but I still get very acid-y and sometimes (like today) those 2 or 3 spots feel a bit worse than the rest of my stomach. But not as badly as I wrote before.

Still going to the GE tomorrow, so we'll see.

Old 06-08-2008, 02:08 AM   #4
(female)

londoner70 HB User

Hi , thanks for the response. How was you appointment with the GE I hope it all went well, and they they have an asnwer for you. I know how frustrating this is.

Can I ask you another question please, I am just wondering what I am experiencing is a symptom of LPR? Sometimes when I wake up in the morning the throat feels fine, but as the day goes by, it feels very strange like there is something stuck in my throat, as if my throat is getting inflamed and there is something in there. and this feeling is awfull. It comes and goes, but I just think it must be related to LPR, where is has damaged my vocal cord and most probably as the day goes by it gets worst. Did you ever feel this?

Do you remember how much zantac you were on?

Old 06-09-2008, 09:05 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yes, anything around your throat could be "LPR".

I took/take 300 mg Zantac every night.

Incidentally, I have regular colitis, it seems; different issue basically. Doc told me I could try an extra 150 mg Zantac earlier in the day (I'm nursing so he doesn't want Nexium in there) for that acid-y feeling. He said it could be the colitis, and he doesn't want to bother scoping me now especially since I'm nursing and they couldn't do anything until I stop (which I plan Sept or earlier). So I'll see him when I stop and then we'll decide.

Closed Thread