It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2008, 08:49 AM   #1
(male)

jefandniki HB User
HIDA Scan

I have had lower back pain on my right side that at times radiates to the front below my navel for the past 4-5 months. I have been to my primary doctor several times. I was first diagnosed with Prostatitis, I had some blood and bacteria in my urine and was given an antibiotic. The pain continued off and on. At times, I would wake up with it. It generally occurs every morning and last a couple of minutes and goes away. I have had a Gallbladder ultrasound which was normal, a CT scan which was normal and just had a HIDA scan today and was told my 51% ejection rate was normal. I had my appendix removed over a year ago.
Does anyone else have this same problem or symptoms? Its hard to explain to a doctor because the pain is not daily and is hard to measure. I am unsure if its not muscle spasms, however, I do not find it difficult to lift, twist or bend down.
Any suggestions?

Old 06-04-2008, 11:21 AM   #2
(female)

Princess05247 HB User
Re: HIDA Scan

Hi Jefandniki, I had a HIDA scan last week and got the results today. Mine is normal too..with an ejection rate of 48%. I'm having lower right pain, pain under my right ribs and in the mid back after eating fatty foods. I felt real sick to my stomach when they injected the CCK hormone. Plus the technician said it looked like it wasn't empyting right. So this doesn't make any sense. I have another appt. on Monday with my primary doctor. I had my appendix out too.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2008, 03:30 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janart HB User

Hey you two just wondering how yall are doing now?

Old 07-03-2008, 09:47 AM   #4
(female)

Princess05247 HB User

Hi Janart, thanks for asking. I just had a colonoscopy and EGD yesterday. The doc said everything looked normal. Still have to wait for the biopsies. He wrote me a prescripton for Questran, it's suppose to help with the diarrhea. I have to take half a scoop. I'm not sure if i'm going to need more tests. He thinks i have a severe case of IBS.

Old 07-03-2008, 04:09 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

janart HB User

Hey Princess I'm glad the colonscopy went well. Your symptoms sound alot like my sister( I'm her guardian she has mild retardation). She has had loose bowel movements for a long time but we were blameing it on the Lexapro that she takes because it caused that side effect for me. But it has gotten worse and she has been having pain to the right of her belly button and sometimes goes around to her back under the rib area. She has had ultrasounds and CT's all normal. She had a colonoscopy a year ago and the doc found are you ready for this.... a pin worm. She had been loseing weight and eating alot so that was the cause. The problem is we think when he saw this he didn't do all the usual things he is supposed to do with this test so she is scheduled for another colonoscopy on the 16th. Oh her blood test did show her sodium was low probably from the diarrhea. I hope I didn't gross you out. We have no idea how she got the worm but they say you can get it from the dirt who knows!! Keep us posted on the biopsies. I'm sure they are fine. Our Mom died of rectal cancer so I'm not sitting around waiting for it to fix itself know what I mean? Take care

Old 07-03-2008, 07:45 PM   #6
(female)

Princess05247 HB User

I'm so sorry to hear about your sis. You didn't gross me out about the worm. I was watching this colonoscopy on UTube and it showed a huge worm that was crawling around and they had to catch it! It kinda freaked me out when i saw it. Glad i didn't have anything like that. I lost alot of weight too. I thought it could be from a medicine i take everyday, but i stopped taking it for a little bit and i still had the diarrhea. I had to totally change my diet to bland foods. I miss eating all the yummy stuff. I hope this Questran helps me. That's a good ideal to have your sis get another scope. I hope everything goes ok with it this time and they find out whats causing the problem. It's frustrating for me, cause all the tests i've had are normal. They did a Celiac Sprue blood test and that was normal. I'm going to ask the doc when i see him again, if there could be something wrong with my small intestine. Thanks again for talking to me and good luck with your sister. Sorry to hear about your mom. You're doing the right thing in getting things checked again. Take care and have a nice 4th!

Old 07-03-2008, 07:50 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

janart HB User

okay post again when you hear something. Hope you have a good 4th also. Just planning on chillin probably. Talk to you soon (:

Old 07-05-2008, 11:41 AM   #8
(female)

sapphira56 HB User
Re: Just my exerpeince...

HI---just thought I would relate my experience about your post. I first had a problem in 2003 with a very strange pain in my gallbladder area, nausea, pain. I went to my GP and had an ultrasound of the gallbladder that was "absolutely normal"---no stones, no sludge or gravel, not thickened, normal size. I also had liver tests, all normal at the time and they have been normal for the last 5 years as well! I then had a HIDA scan, read by a radiologist as a "normal study"---ejection fraction of my GB was 78%. Still, 5 years later I have fairly frequent episodes as you describe. Yes, I still have the back pain, through the right side, which is known as "biliary colic" and swelling of my GB area if I eat too much.

I was given a diagnosis by two doctors as "ACALCULUS cholecystitis"--which means gallbladder malfunction without any stones. This means my gallbladdder contracts at the wrong times. I choose NOT to have my GB out because that in itself can cause terrible problems--I know many people who thought it would end their problems, but now they have constant diarrhea and can't eat much! Some people do fine, but many more than you know do not! Having a GB out can also lead to higher cholesterol in the body and the diarrhea leads to other imbalances, setting off a very vicious cycle, even including suspicion of future colon cancer, as with the GB gone, the bile drips out constantly onto the delicate intestinal surface. Besides all gallstones are made in the LIVER not in the GB and you can't live without a liver!

I have cut out ALL fatty meats, eat lean dry-ish chicken, turkey and some fish. Onions give me problems as do spices. Once or twice a week, I put a castor oil pack(high grade only, first cold pressed, from a health food store only--no grocery store types--they do not work the same)----slather it on the GB area, put a heating pad wrapped in a pillowcase on the area for one hour, then go wash the area with baking soda and water---and take taurine each morning -it is said gallstones usually can't form if you take taurine. It has been 5 years, and I have minimal pain if I watch my diet. Better than lifelong diarrhea! PS I have read that a HIDA scan with a GB ejection fraction of less than 28% is reason to have your GB out. Thankfully mine was 71%) Best of luck to you--sometimes surgery cannot be avoided, don't wait too long if you must have it, it can become life-threatening and rupture!

Old 07-05-2008, 03:59 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

janart HB User

sapphira I am posting a response to this in a way on a new thread I will label it gallbladder/cancer. Please read it.

Closed Thread