It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2008, 08:58 PM   #1
(male)

Paralyse HB User
Abd. pain, flushing after eating, dizziness...any insight appreciated!

I'm a 29 y/o male. Diagnosed w/GERD 6-7 years ago. Medication was aciphex, then prevacid for last 4 years, and now protonix with new doc, since it has a generic and prevacid is costing me close to $50 a month with Caremark insurance. Still experiencing night reflux with bad permanent cough. Co-existing conditions are gout (treated with indomethacin/allopurinol), high cholesterol (vytorin) and low-t (testosterone gel.) Family history of ulcers, polyps and RA. Even with daily PPI therapy, I often still have to hit a bottle of Pepto for some relief.

Last month or so, after eating at night, I have been flushing badly (it feels like my face is burning.) Stomach and intestines cramps up with lots of gas and burping and reflux. The pain seems to hang out towards the lower part of my abdomen. When the flushing occurs, sometimes I run a fever up to 102-103. Also when flushing, my heart often starts beating real fast like I just did a lot of exercise. During this part if I get up off the couch or bed or something I get real dizzy and seem to have trouble not bumping into stuff. Also there is a sound like something is sloshing around inside my belly a lot, especially if I bend over, like there's abunch of water in my abdomen. After the flushing passes (30 mins to an hour?) I usually get real tired and can barely stay awake. I've searched symptom lists etc. but everything I find says diarrhea and nausea but I don't have much diarrhea and I never throw up, just the acid backs up in my throat sometimes. I've never had my gallbladder out but have no pain in that area, nor an appendix removed.

This happens regardless of food type from plain bread to hot wings. It sometimes happens during the day but is much worse at night. Also happens whether or not I take or skip the vytorin/testo gel. I work usually 10am to 7 pm so I eat around 7:30 PM and go to bed around 10 or 11. cause my wife works 7 to 5. and she wants to go to bed early.

On my 3rd doc now. Last one said I had an ear infection. (!) gave me keflex and a decongestant. Current doctor ordered an abdominal ultrasound, had that last tuesday, have not heard back on results yet.

Any suggestions, leads towards possible diagnosis, anything at all that might help me give my doctor somewhere to look, would be greatly appreciated. Also, if I need to move this somewhere else, that would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-08-2008, 10:12 AM   #2
(female)

nikki24 HB User
Re: Abd. pain, flushing after eating, dizziness...any insight appreciated!

Hey! Sorry you are feeling so bad. I had similar symptoms starting last October and ended up in the ER, where I was diagnosed with acute pancreatitis. Went through a ton of tests, found nothing wrong with the pancreas but was found to have celiacs disease and placed on a strict gluten free diet. Did okay for a few months and just had another bought of mild pancreatitis last month. Which was chalked up to being lax with the diet and eating higher fat foods. I have no gallbladder either as I had it removed when I was 15. I am now 26, a health freak, non smoker/drinker, heavy exerciser, so I have no idea what caused all this.

My symptoms before each bought of pancreatitis were fullness after I ate any amount of food, bouts of extreme nausea and sweating, facial flushing after I would eat (very noticeable as all my coworkers comment on it), light headiness/dizziness, feel drugged, extreme fatigue.

I have an appt with a nutritionalist this week, and a follow up with a new GI doctor coming up. Hopefully its just the food allergies causing all this.

Hope you feel better!

Old 06-08-2008, 05:43 PM   #3
(male)

Paralyse HB User

Thanks! Is there a test I can request to determine if I have celiac disease or pancreatitis?

Old 06-08-2008, 08:09 PM   #4
(female)

nikki24 HB User

To test for the pancreatitis they tested my lipase and amylase which was through a simple blood test. The celiac they did gluten antibody testing as well as genetic testing, also both blood tests. If my celiac tests had come back inconclusive they talked about doing an intestinal biopsy but luckily my blood work tested positive so they didn't have to.

The pancreatitis worries me as I am young and don't want to deal with reaccurent bouts of it as it knocks me out for months at a time. I am hoping to get to the route of my digestive problems as I am only 26.

I feel for you and hope they figure this out soon!

Old 06-24-2008, 06:58 PM   #5
(male)

Paralyse HB User

HIDA scan - negative. Doc says gallblader is ok.

I'm not getting better. Worse, in fact.

DOc now wants to run an upper GI series. I question this as most of my pain is lower.

Closed Thread