It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2008, 05:25 PM   #1
(female)

mishkaaa HB User
at the end of my rope .. please help ..

let me start out by saying that i'm a 20 year old female. august 2007 i was diagnosed with mono, which lasted until november 2007. during that time, i had basically no appetite and ate very little .. whatever i did eat, i felt extremely nauseous after. when i finally recovered from mono in november, i STILL felt very nauseous after i ate .. all day every day. this was usually accompanied by gas, bloating, etc. i rarely threw up. from then until now, i've felt nauseous basically all day, every day. i've gotten an EGD, sonogram, upper GI series .. both of which came back normal. i had a HIDA scan for my gallbladder in february and got an ejection fraction of 25% - in the abnormal range. my GI doctor suggested i get my gallbladder removed, and attributed my constant nausea to the gallbladder. although i had no stones, he believed i had chronic cholecystitis - gallbladder disease.

i went for 2 other opinions as far as getting my gallbladder removed went. the other GI doctor i went to was not too keen on getting surgery. he believed i may have gastroparesis and suggested to NOT get my gallbladder removed. he told me to go get an upper GI series done. the surgeon i went to for an opinion said to get the upper GI done and see what happened. the upper GI series took about 7 hours. apparently, i have a very slow digestive system. besides that, everything else came back normal.

after a few more months of still not feeling well, my primary GI dr and the surgeon recommended i get my gallbladder removed. i got it removed on may 22 2008. i felt queasy for about a week after, which i attributed to just having surgery. i began feeling better about a week after. not 100%, but yet not anywhere near as bad as it was pre-surgery (still bloat a little, but no gas .. a little nauseous SOMETIMES, not everytime) .. but now since monday, i have been feeling the same way i did before i got my surgery - nauseous everytime after i eat. i felt good for about a week, but the fact that i have felt like crap nonstop for the past 3 days is very discouraging and making me feel like this is how i'm going to have to live - no end in sight. it's been this way for the past three days, and i'm very depressed about it. i can't stop crying .. i'm only 20 years old, i don't want to live like this. i want to get out there and enjoy life and especially summer, but lately i'd rather just lay in bed and not move.

i'm following up with my GI doctor within the next 2 weeks .. i'm going to bring up the possibility of gastroparesis .. i know it could be worse, but i hate my life

Last edited by mishkaaa; 06-11-2008 at 05:27 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-11-2008, 07:45 PM   #2
(female)

Trishac HB User
Re: at the end of my rope .. please help ..

as far as my understanding goes of gastroparesis... some people actually come down with it AFTER gall bladder surgery..... if you do in fact have a slow digestive system removing your gall bladder wont help that all that much

I dont know much about gall bladders but i know a bit about gastroparesis because i have it and your symptoms sound quite similar to mine with the constant nausea and lack of appetite.

the best/easiest way to approach it is probably to have a gastric emptying scan, its an easy test all you do is eat some eggs and a little protein shake and lay in a machine for a few hours while they watch you digest... this test will tell you if you have delayed stomache emptying (gastroparesis) and if you do, there are medications out there to help you feel back to normal again you wont ALWAYS feel like this, trust me, you'll get it sorted.... just keep being proactive and dont give up!

Old 06-11-2008, 08:46 PM   #3
(female)

mishkaaa HB User

thank you for your response. i'm crying right now because i am so sick of feeling like this it actually seems like my digestion has actually sped up a bit since my gallbladder removal, i have more frequent/normal bowel movements. i am going to schedule an appointment with my GI doctor and discuss a gastric emptying scan.

Old 06-12-2008, 06:17 AM   #4
(male)

eihcet HB User

I'm sort of in the same boat as you, still trying to find out what's causing the nausea. I'm scheduled for the Stomach emptying study in a few weeks. My doc thinks it's GB but wants to check out this first.

How have you been with your foods? I'm sure it's hard to eat anything at all but it might be certain foods are triggering symptoms. Have you been keeping a journal? It might take a few days to notice which foods are causing which problems. If you have an allergy, you'll have to stay away from certain foods for a while to figure it out.

You might also have one or more vitamin deficiencies since all this started. One that is hard to test for but apparently causes some stomach symptoms (in some people) is lack of magnesium. That might not be the root problem but it can make things worse than they already are. Do some searching on it and you might want to give it a try.

As for me, I find DGL Licorice capsules help my stomach if I chew one or two 20minutes before eating. That and eating smaller portions and avoiding fats and bad foods. All that has kept my nausea managable but I'm still searching and I know exactly how you feel about wanting to move on.

Last edited by eihcet; 06-12-2008 at 06:18 AM.

Old 06-14-2008, 05:36 AM   #5
(female)

lumarie HB User

So sad to hear of your plight at such a young age...try not to get depressed...it makes the nausea worse or cry it out and let it go for now. I have had the exact same experience and my nausea is relentless. I had my gall bladder removed and did get some relief but now two years later I am sick again constantly. I have been fighting nausea since. I just had a bowel emptying test, never heard of it before...most tests in this area come back normal...the doctor's start accusing me of it being in my head. How stupid that we must endure such discomfort. It really is heartbreaking to be sick like this, BUT you get used to it and keep fighting back. Presently it is so bad I have been off work a couple months. But I will never give up my fight and my right to be physically "normal". It is our right...don't believe half of what the doctors say, get your medical reports and research the words and the results on the internet...change doctors often and you can always go back to the one you love the best...but get lots of opinions...even from different states. This is war and you must wage it...you are young and you can conquer this if you only find a doctor who knows or who listens and believes you without prejudice.
Good luck and let's fight on...
LuMarie

Closed Thread