It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2008, 04:01 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

ZoeGirl HB User
Dr doesn't seem interested

I switched to my current GI because my last GI didn't seem to take me seriously. At the time I was crying almost daily due to pain. The new GI seemed excited to help me, but that quickly faded once a colonoscopy and small bowel series came back fairly normal.

History: 37 yr old female, typically healthy/healthy weight, etc. Recurring abdominal pain with a gallbladder removal in Nov 07 due to a non functioning gallbladder (no stones). They had thought that was the cause of my on/off years of pain. The pain became constant after removal. I've had weight loss (40 lbs total so far, still losing). The pain is now intermittent again, only every 2-3 weeks as of 3 months ago, but now it is followed by upper left quadrant pain. This is a pressure pain, as if someone is pressing into my ribs. This lasts about a week then fades. I have had 2-3 bouts of stabbing pain (fall to my knees pain) in that area with the pressure pain following. I have occasional nausea (severe) that is not associated with the pain.

I had stopped seeing doctors months ago due to lack of care. After a bad bout of cramps and LUQ pain a couple of weeks ago I started up again. The GI nurse was rude and said the doctor did not have any office hours available and is out of office all summer. I asked what I was supposed to do! She didn't like that I might switch doctors so she said he ordered a ct scan and blood work, which was done early Friday morning. I thought for sure the CT scan would show something!

I called her today and she said to HER it looked OK but the doctor has not read it yet. I asked when I would speak to him and she said typically I would not. Uh what? So I asked if I could, she said she would put in a request. That is insane.

I googled the blood work they did and none of it included pancreatic enzymes, etc. They don't seem to be considering my biliary system or pancreas when it seems clear that needs to be checked out.

What am I doing wrong here in regards to getting adequate health care? I just feel like I am running in circles. I know that this is not in my head and something is wrong.

PS when I mentioned to her that I was having diarrhea since the CT scan with contrast she said it could be because I had a moderate amount of stool and my body was responding to that. Forget the fact that it's noted the contrast can make you have diarrhea for a couple days after drinking it on many web sites. I have only had BMs 2-3x a week my entire life and I rarely, if ever, have diarrhea. I am not confident in her suggestions and I despise her attitude.. however, when I DID see the doctor he was very nice and did seem concerned (6 months ago). I forgot to tell her I was having severe nausea all weekend (and still today) and I haven't told her of the weight loss because I forgot (but she's "trained and knows all the ?s to ask"). I hate switching doctors and I have a fear of coming across as a hypochondriac - but this has to stop, I have to find an answer.

Last edited by ZoeGirl; 06-16-2008 at 04:31 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-17-2008, 10:15 AM   #2
(male)

AlanPi HB User
Re: Dr doesn't seem interested

Hi, I have read about a symptom that has to do with usual left abdominal pain. It is an irregular colon shape that keeps some food in the digestive system. I suppose since you had colonoscopy that would rule it out...

I also had a CT Scan done. Before my doctor read the report, I have already read it myself by request the report, as well as the films from the diagnostic center. That way if, (no, I mean WHEN) I move to a different doctor for a 2nd opinion I take my reports and films with me. Your reports are interpreted by the radiologist, and your doctor only reads it to you. Non of my MD/GI doctors even cared about looking at the x-ray films.

Don't worry about being a hypochondriac, you have to be your own advocate and no one knows more about you than yourself. Try to handle it the best you can and be positive, take calculated risks.

My doctors actually praise me about doing my own research and asking the right questions. It helps them to help you!

Old 06-22-2008, 02:40 PM   #3
(male)

AlanPi HB User
Re: Dr doesn't seem interested

Hi, I just tried the traditional Chinese medicine, and discovered something interesting. I have never ever tried traditional Chinese medicine before, except acupuncture. This is where the practitioner holds your wrist, look at your tongue and try to determine what's wrong by your symptoms. It often doesn't work I think, but from time to time does wonders (so I have heard...)

He said my problem is the spleen, which is by the LUQ. Of 'course that is not the case for me, but you should have your doctor looking into it if they haven't. Heck I am trying those herbal medicine anyway. Best of luck!

Last edited by AlanPi; 06-22-2008 at 02:43 PM.

Closed Thread