Trying to Diagnose Self - Doctors are too Slow!
I really hope someone here can help me. I have had 3 attacks of severe abdominal pain in the past 6 weeks (starts with burning pain that turns to sharp stabbing pain). These attacks have lasted 2-3 hours, I am unable to do anything but writhe in pain, then it lets up and I am very tender for 2 days after. The pain in near and around my navel, but felt all over my abdomen, and I feel it in my back. Between attacks I feel fine. I have a touch of IBS, but that's been present for a long time and has not changed.
My doctors have done upper GI, RUQ ultrasound, and bloodwork and found nothing notable. Some suggestions on the cause include:
- Crohn's disease (suggested by Internal Medicine doctor)
- Gallbladder problem (suggested by GI doc)
- Small intestine problem (suggested by GI doc)
- kidney stone (but no protein in urine)
- Pancreas problem (but no markers on blood work to indicate)
- adhesions from C-section last July
My GI doc is working at a snail's pace. His advice to me was to go to the ER during an attack to have imaging done then, because he felt nothing might show up between attacks.
How likely is it that something serious is going on, but no tests indicate it? Any ideas of what's going on, or input would be much appreciated!