It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2008, 11:33 AM   #1
(female)

WitsEnd07 HB User
Symptoms just keep getting worse..help?!

Like many of you have already described, I too suffer from abdominal pain, discomfort, bloating, and frequent hunger (even after eating).

I have had debilitating stomach pain for about 4 years now. I experience bloating and horrible pain that feels like someone lit a torch in my stomach. These attacks usually last an hour, but the bloating stays long after my horrible pain subsides. They can occur sometimes if i dont eat for a long period of time, but even then sometimes they come. In addition to this, a lot of the time I feel like there is a bulging in my throat after I eat or have constipation. I have tried things like prilosec and experienced only little relief. (So I dont know if it is strictly acid reflux)

I have been to doctor after doctor who just disregard it and say it is stress, but i know different.

I also suffer from headaches and a recent symptom--hair loss. That is now my biggest concern. I am only 20 years old (female) and have no history of hair loss in my family. My most recent doctor has diagnosed me with PCOS and I have been on birth control to try and help with the hair thinning. Its been less than a month, and i am not convinced that this is the problem. What could it be?? Is there a connection between my stomach problems and this? Maybe candida overgrowth?

Any advice is helpful - I dont know how much longer I can do this.

Last edited by moderator2; 06-17-2008 at 03:32 PM. Reason: posted contact info

Old 06-18-2008, 01:02 PM   #2
(male)

eihcet HB User
Re: Symptoms just keep getting worse..help?!

Have you had your thyroid checked? I think that can cause a myriad of symptoms including hairloss. Don't think it causes the stomach issues you mention though.

Last edited by eihcet; 06-18-2008 at 01:02 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2008, 01:23 PM   #3
(female)

londoner70 HB User

They could be completely seperate issues.
I have stomach issues, like stomach burning, and hunger feeling, and have also been diagnosed with LPR. I am on meds for acid 2 X 40mg of nexium.

But I also was diagnosed with PCOS about 15years ago(I am 38).
PCOS has different degrees, it can cause weight gain, hair loss, problems with your periods(heavy painfull, or lack of them), acne etc. But you don't necessarily have to have all the symptoms. So it is possible that your stomach pains could be perhaps digestive issue which is not related to the PCOS.
They have found out that metformin helps PCOS symptoms and can regulate your periods, but if you have digestive problems I don't think metformin is recommended since it can cause digestive problems

As for headaches I suffer from chronic migraines which can last for days, and I know they are hormonal, since they are triggered with my periods, again headaches might not be realted to your stomach problems.

Are you seeing a gasterointrologist?

Old 06-23-2008, 10:45 AM   #4
(female)

WitsEnd07 HB User

londoner,

What is LPR? I have had the stomach issues for a bit longer than the PCOS I think. I didn't notice the irregularities (hair growth on my stomach, period, etc) until about a year ago. But the hair growth (and hair loss!) seem to be getting worse. I have been on birth control for about a month, but I dont know how effective BC is for the symptoms.

Im not sure what to do. I dont want my symptoms to get worse.

As far as digestion goes, I have seen doctors about this. They usually start me w/ the usual lecture about diet, though that has never helped w/ my pain. I am going to go get an endoscopy as soon as possible and hopefully that will show something useful.

For now im just trying to cope. It's just hard b/c i really dont have anyone to talk to about PCOS. and my family is already SICK of me complaining about my stomach. (im sure they thing im a hypochondriac, which is really annoying)

thanks for your response!

The Following User Says Thank You to WitsEnd07 For This Useful Post:
fairytales (09-03-2011)
Old 06-24-2008, 01:18 PM   #5
(female)

londoner70 HB User

LPR is short for laryngopharengeal reflux, this is when your are refluxing and the acid makes it to your throat and since the larynx is quite sensitive gets inflamed and affected, you can get feeling of lump in the throat, excess mucus, hoarsness of voice, etc.

PCOS is a hormone imbalance, and can cause weight gain, acne, hair thinning, all the lovely things but you don't necessarily have all the symptoms, it is different with everyone. It affects ovulation and hence the irregular periods. Loosing weight can help, but it is a vicious circle since with PCOS it is not very easy to loose weight, buth then again you can be slim and suffer from it.
Research has shown that it is related to insulin resiistance, and the drug metformin can really help.

Unfortunately because of my stomach issues I can't take it now, but it can help to loose weight, and regulate your ovulation and your periods.
I don't like bcps for PCOS, since it is not really adressing the horme imbalance.

bcps contributed to my migraines.

I believe there is a PCOS message board.

As for being a hypochondriac, I am sure even my family thought I am one, until recently that ENT confirmed, I am suffering. but I am the one experiencing the pains and the discomfort, and don't care what others think, I won't give up, until the find the route of my stomach pains.

Be strong, PCOS is not life threatening, it can be managed, and there are millions who suffers from it, and just don't know that they even have it.

I believe you will really benefit from seeing an endocronologist who is familiar with PCOS.

Closed Thread