It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2008, 07:06 AM   #1
(female)

AngieBaby77 HB User
GERD/LPR Having a Really Hard Time Need Input

Hi everyone,

I am currently seeing a regular doc and an ENT. Recently I began having trouble swallowing, like there is a lump in my throat. My regular doctor says "globulus hystericus" from anxiety, however Xanax and Prozac has not made this go away. My ENT says "reflux" and put me on Prevacid which I've been on for two weeks now. I don't have heartburn and have researched this and think I may have LPR instead.

However, I do have severe health anxiety. Basically, I feel like I have something life threatening. I am scared I have a tumor or cancer. I am 30 years old and smoked and drank from the age of 15 to the age of 29 which is almost 15 years. I feel like I'm waiting for a death sentence.

Anyway, the doctors don't seem to think so. ENT wants me to take Prevacid for a month then come in. If no improvement he may send me for a barium swallow.

I am scared because I feel like they are ignoring me and being slow. Why do I feel this way? It's like a lump/stuck sensation in my lower throat area in the center above where the collarbones meet. It seemed to get better a little but now it is back with severity.

Does this sound like LPR? Does anyone else struggle with this? I am afraid I have something bad wrong with me. I'm losing lots of weight but apparently this is a Prozac side effect which I just started a week or two ago.

I am miserable. I have followup appointments in July. I feel like my doctors think I'm a hypochondriac and I am determined not to bug them until my appointment and hope I can get some advice here.

Thanks,
Angie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-20-2008, 10:45 AM   #2
(female)

londoner70 HB User
Re: GERD/LPR Having a Really Hard Time Need Input

You do won't believe how similar to my situation yours is.
I also have health anxieties and used to smoke from the age of 21 and stopped smoking 15months ago(38 now)
But I know for fact that I am not crazy since I have really bad pains, and I am sure it is due to digestive problems.
Unfortunately the key is to find a doctor that understands.
My symptoms started a year ago and like you I was convinced I had LPR, from the research that I had done on my symptoms and it was just last month that I saw an ENT who is also an expert in LPR, who as soon as scoped me(the camera which goes in through the nose), diagnosed me with LPR.
However my problems started with stomach burning, and have had 3 endoscopies, 2 which showed gastritis and erosive duodenitis, and third since I was on medication showed nothing.

As for feeling of lump in the throat, I mentioned it to my ENT, and it is one of the symptoms of LPR, also excess mucus, hoarsness of voice etc.
But for LPR they usually put you on higher dosage of PPI, one in the morning and one in the evening, one PPI a day usually doesn't help.
I am on nexium 40mg twice a day, I have to say that LPR and feeling of lump in the throat is improving, but my stomach sypmtoms are very bad.

Please try not to worry about horrible diseases what you need is an understanding ENT, or GI who understands LPR, and GERD well.
I know how scary those tgoughts can be, and how they can affect you.
Hope this helped a little bit, try to see a GI, and an ENT who understand.

Do a search on the acid reflux forum, you will see that lump feeling in the throat is very common with LPR.

Good luck, and take care.

Old 06-20-2008, 11:14 AM   #3
(female)

AngieBaby77 HB User

Thank you for your response. I don't have insurance but am under financial assistance which only certain doctors in my area take. I don't think any GIs take it and only one ENT (the one I'm seeing)

I will ask him if I need to up my Prevacid, I am on 30 mg every morning.

I really want him to look down in there and make a definitive diagnosis, he did the nose tube thing but only looked at the top area and not all the way down to the esophagus. He did mention a "barium swallow" if I don't get any better. I just want to know for sure what I'm dealing with.

It makes me so nervous. I have the symptoms of LPR, no heartburn, the stuck lump feeling, some mucus. I wish I could just accept it and say that's what it is and stop freaking out about cancer. I am going to try my best, keep taking my meds, try counseling and of course follow up with docs, my problem is that I drive them nuts and want to run to them for every little thing.

Thank you so much for your post, it makes me feel a little better to know others are struggling with the same issues.

Angie

Old 06-20-2008, 11:34 AM   #4
(female)

londoner70 HB User

I just wanted to add, that I don't have heartburn either, never did, even when was diadnosed with erosive duodenitis.
I am scared too, since I am in severe burning pain in the stomach specially at night time, to the extend that I cry from the pain. Worried why on this high dosage I have so much pain.

Closed Thread