It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2008, 02:39 AM   #1
(female)

granolawife HB User
postsurgical gastroparesis - how long will this last?

I am one month out from liver resection and gall bladder removal surgery and am experiencing symptoms which seem to be worsening. (bad gas pain, burning stomach pains, back pain) I am eating less and less as I get so full from the smallest amount of food and it seems to sit in my stomach and not move for hours. It gets worse as the day continues and is especially bad at night, not allowing me to sleep. I am now trying to stop eating earlier and earlier each day so that I can try to digest before going to bed, but soon I will be stopping eating at noon!

I got these symptoms in the hospital after surgery, then they started to go away and now they are coming back.

Can I expect them to resolve at some point? how long might it take? how and why did the surgery cause this?

Any input is very much appreciated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2008, 06:32 PM   #2
(male)

eihcet HB User
Re: postsurgical gastroparesis - how long will this last?

It's possible that during surgery they irritated the vagus nerve ( or something else ) that caused the stomach to have problems contracting. It could also just be taking time to heal. Since your liver was operated on your bile processing is likely reduced. If that is the case, you will have a harder time digesting fatty foods. Thus you need to figure out a healthy diet that reduces the impact on your liver and manage the stomach problems together. This could be very tricky and you might need some medication that help the stomach contract (if gastroparesis is diagnosed). Note: If you are on antacids it takes even longer for food to digest in the stomach.

I am getting tests done soon to see if I have this problem, so, I've read a lot about it, but am not an expert. From what I've read there are a few but not a lot of treatement options for Gastroparesis and many of the causes are not clearly known. Sometimes you can get better from it and sometimes / some folks require other sources of nutrition. You'll need to find a good doctor to work with you and figure out what will work best for you. That and monitor the forums (here and elsewhere) from other folks who have similar conditions for advice since a lot of it is trial and error.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2008, 09:57 PM   #3
(female)

granolawife HB User
Re: postsurgical gastroparesis - how long will this last?

Many thanks for your response. It's quite discouraging as there does not seem to be any good treatment. I am taking it one day at a time...and hoping that perhaps it will resolve at least a bit on it's own as I continue to heal. I just didn't expect these symptoms to last so long...makes me wonder if they will ever go away.

I hope that your tests went ok... do you have any answers yet?

Closed Thread