It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2008, 10:41 AM   #1
(female)

Helen45477 HB User
Lactose free for a week but with extra BMs

I have recently gone to my doctor about gas issues and she suggested that I might be lactose intolerant. Because of this, she told me to eat absolutely no dairy products for 2 weeks. I am just a few days away from the 2 weeks and I am happy to say that my gas has decreased tremendously!

However, my stool has become harder and in the mornings i now have to have 3-4 BMs before i feel comfortable, whereas before my being dairy free, I only needed 1-2 BMs and they were much looser. Is there any connection between lactose free and harder/more frequent stools, and if so, is there any way I can correct this?

Thank You In Advance,

Helen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2008, 01:35 AM   #2
(female)

reika HB User
Re: Lactose free for a week but with extra BMs

Hi there.....

It sounds like your doc hit on the likely cause of the gas. Congratulations and welcome to the land of the lactose intolerant! It's.....interesting. On to your question in a minute, but a little of my background first.

I'm an older adult (no need to be exact...hmm?) and became lactose intolerant about 4 years ago. Feel fortunate that you were only having gas problems because as the intolerance worsens, so do you symptoms, such as liquid BMs and intense intestinal cramping. Not everyone gets worse though and you now know what to avoid and you can monitor your intake. Keep in mind I have found that there is often a milk product in nearly every processed food! Whey is a big one to watch out for and buttermilk is pretty popular too.

Just to show you how individual this problem can be: I can ingest butter (and a fairly large amount too) without any issues whatsoever. My fiance, however, had a *very* small amount last night and he spent most of the evening in the bathroom, groaning. He can eat buttermilk pancakes, but they make me horribly ill, even with lactaid. Yes, lactaid is not the perfect answer to this problem.

As for your question, several things occur to me. Number 1, it sounds like you are just not used to a normal bowel movement! Number 2, your system is used to things being a certain way and will need some time to readjust. You may not be used to a fuller, bulkier feeling yet.

You didn't say anything about your nutritional habits but it may be that you aren't getting enough fiber in your diet. 3 things help bowel motility (keeping things movin' on!): fiber, water, and exercise. Fiber adds bulk. Fiber also helps retain water which helps bulk but also keeps the stool softer. Exercise, any movement at all, helps *all* the muscles of the body, including the involuntary ones.

I wouldn't say that you need to add a fiber pill to your diet, which can actually be fairly rough on the large intestine, but make sure you are eating plenty of veggies and whole grains and drinking lots of water.

Hope this helps!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread