It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2008, 09:18 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

lucylucy HB User
What should I expect from a HIDA scan?

Hi, newbie here.

I'm scheduled for a HIDA scan Friday and I'd like to know what to expect. The lab said there might be discomfort and I'll have to lay still for a couple hours.

The last time a doctor told me there might be discomfort from a procedure, the pain was so bad it made me vomit. Maybe I have a low pain threshold. I can't take any ibuprofen or anything before the test so I'm a little worried. I'm also a little worried about lying still for two hours. It's hard for me to stay still when I'm nervous. Even now I just want to pace.

Can anyone tell me what to expect?

Old 07-09-2008, 12:04 AM   #2
(male)

AlanPi HB User
Re: What should I expect from a HIDA scan?

It was a breeze for me. Just make sure you "release" yourself before so you don't have to interrupt the test. Mine was in the morning so it was like taking nap. Ask them to make you lying as comfortable as possible.

The CCK injection causes your stomach and gallbladder to react as if you are consuming food. I only had a very minor stomach nasea that went a way in a second.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-09-2008, 12:36 AM   #3
(female)

silkynickel HB User

I had a HIDA Scan done this morning. For the most part I agree with AlanPi. The first part of the test the start an IV and inject you with the radio active material that makes the three organs that they want to look at on the screen. The gall bladder, liver and pancreas I believe. This part of the test takes a minimum of 1 hour for those to become visible.
The second part of the test is where the inject the cck. This for me was terrible. I became horribly sick with extreme nausea and severe pain. It put me into a full blown attack. The only good thing is that this only lasted for 8 minutes which is how long it takes to inject the cck. The second half of the test takes a half hour total. I have to tell you though that I have felt sick for the rest of the day though. Sorry.

Old 07-09-2008, 12:56 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

lucylucy HB User

OK thanks for the information.

Silky, was it the same pain that you sometimes get at other times when you eat? I hope you're feeling better now.

where do you feel the pain?

My pain seems to be much lower in my abdomen, so I'm surprised that my doctor is focusing on my gall bladder.

Last edited by lucylucy; 07-09-2008 at 12:57 PM.

Old 07-09-2008, 08:37 PM   #5
(female)

nikkilewis HB User

For me, the HIDA scan was no big deal. When they give you the CCK injection, you may feel like you would feel when you have an attack. Some people get very nauseous, some don't. For me, I had the typical back pains that I always got when I had GB attacks. I also got a teeny bit nauseous, but the whole episode was over within minutes, and I was fine again. As soon as the technician flushed my IV with saline (after the CCK injection), I didn't have anymore nausea. The back pains lasted a few minutes, then subsided.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:53 PM   #6
(female)

Sadlyn HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by silkynickel View Post
I had a HIDA Scan done this morning. For the most part I agree with AlanPi. The first part of the test the start an IV and inject you with the radio active material that makes the three organs that they want to look at on the screen. The gall bladder, liver and pancreas I believe. This part of the test takes a minimum of 1 hour for those to become visible.
The second part of the test is where the inject the cck. This for me was terrible. I became horribly sick with extreme nausea and severe pain. It put me into a full blown attack. The only good thing is that this only lasted for 8 minutes which is how long it takes to inject the cck. The second half of the test takes a half hour total. I have to tell you though that I have felt sick for the rest of the day though. Sorry.
I haven't felt the same since I had my HIDA scan on June 26th. Have had a dull ache since then. My gallbladder is being removed July 17.!!'

Sorry

As of 5/2/08
TC 239
Trig 163
HDL 46
LDL 164

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." -Jimi Hendrix

Old 07-12-2008, 12:17 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

lucylucy HB User

Well I had it today and it went very well. The most noticeable effect was mild back pain. The nausea lasted less than a minute.

I wasn't convinced that the painful attacks I had were caused by my gall bladder, but I'll find out in a couple days. It was instructive for me to feel what a mild GALL BLADDER attack might feel like, as compared to my previous symptoms. I realized that I've had that same back pain before.

Old 07-12-2008, 12:19 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

lucylucy HB User

Sadlyn, good luck with your surgery next week. I'll be thinking of you.

Old 07-12-2008, 05:25 PM   #9
(female)

Sadlyn HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucylucy View Post
Sadlyn, good luck with your surgery next week. I'll be thinking of you.
Thank you LucyLucy. I will post a follow up to let people know what to expect.

Did the Hida scan cause you to have the exact pain that you have during one of your attacks, because the technician told me that, that was a "classic symptom of a non-functioning gall bladder" when the hida scan cause the pain?

Sadlyn

As of 5/2/08
TC 239
Trig 163
HDL 46
LDL 164

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." -Jimi Hendrix

Old 07-15-2008, 07:35 PM   #10
(female)

nikkilewis HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadlyn View Post
Thank you LucyLucy. I will post a follow up to let people know what to expect.

Did the Hida scan cause you to have the exact pain that you have during one of your attacks, because the technician told me that, that was a "classic symptom of a non-functioning gall bladder" when the hida scan cause the pain?

Sadlyn
The CCK injection (during the HIDA scan) causes your GB to contract, just like it does when you eat something fatty. So yeah, it's likely that your GB isn't functioning that well. The same thing happened to me during my HIDA scan. The pain in my back wasn't as severe as with a "real" GB attack, but it was enough to catch my attention. I asked the technician what my ejection fraction was before I left, and he told me. When will you find out your results?

Old 07-16-2008, 08:18 AM   #11
(female)

Sadlyn HB User

Hi Nikki -

My ejection fraction was 14% - My surgery is tomorrow. What was your? When do you find out?

I am a little scared, but I know I will feel so much better. It is usually done as in -out patient thing, but I have a slight heart condition, so I may have to stay overnight. My cardiologist said he will come check on me, and if i am doing ok, they may let me go home.

When I had my baby 7 years ago, I developed chronic heart failure and a post partum cardio myopathy. I almost died with a newborn baby to take care of. They actually sent my baby home 2 weeks before me. I was on a respirator for 5 days after the birth. I was transferred by ambulance from the hospital I gave birth at to one with a cardiac center. What was so scary, was the hospital I gave birth at did not know what was wrong. They were literally running in circles while I was dieing.

I also took PHen-fen and I truly believe it was what cause all the heart trouble, but I now naturally have a fear of hospitals - they are not gods - just people.

I am having surgery at the same hospital that treated me for my heart trouble, so that is a little more reassuring. BUt I am still just a little scared.

I will post as soon as I can after surgery to let everyone know what it was like.

Good luck to everyone.

Sadlyn

As of 5/2/08
TC 239
Trig 163
HDL 46
LDL 164

Old 07-18-2008, 01:47 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

lucylucy HB User

Sadlyn I hope your surgery went well today!

Old 07-18-2008, 07:22 PM   #13
(female)

nikkilewis HB User

Wow, sounds like you've been through alot! I'm glad that you came through ok. I hope that your surgery went well. Post when you get the opportunity to provide an update!!!

Closed Thread