It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2008, 10:18 AM   #1
(female)

adventurer HB User
Question...please help!

I don't want to go into too many details about "why" I may be having a colectomy because I'm more interested in finding out about the actual procedure itself, not what got me here. But to give you the basics, the nerves in my large intestine that are supposed to make the muscles in the intestine contract so that I can have a bowel movement don't work, therefore the muscles don't contract and I am always constipated. I never really have a bowel movement without taking something to help and now nothing works.

I want to know how long it generally takes to recover from a colectomy? I will not have to have a bag, the small intestine is going to be attached directly to my rectum. I'm wondering how much work I will miss (I basically have a sit-down job.) Also, what will change as far as my diet, any idea if there are certain foods I will have to avoid or will my diet be pretty much the same? What about weight loss or loss of nutrients? I know the small intestine takes care of absorbing most of the nutrients your body needs, but I think I read somewhere that the large intestine may be responsible for part of that as well. Does that mean I will have to take supplements? As far as the weight loss, I know the large intestine is like 5 feet long, surely that weighs something you would think! I just wonder if there is potential of losing weight after the surgery. That would be a great side effect, I could stand to lose about 15 pounds.

I had about 18 inches of my colon removed in April of 07 due to rectal prolapse, they cut me from my belly button down to my c-section scar and the recovery was long and painful. I"d rather not go through that again! I know there are a couple of different ways to do the surgery too, does anyone have any idea which is best or do you know anyone who has had any of the different procedures? I've heard they can do it with a normal open incision (like the one I had before), they can do it through laparoscopy using three incisions, or they can do it through hands-assisted laparoscopy using five incisions. I'm not sure which is best.

I have an appt. with the surgeon on July 17 but I want to hear from actual patients who've had it done or someone who knows someone who had it done. I'm looking for inside information Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread