It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2008, 02:37 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

monkey5 HB User
Not sure where to post? Maybe ovarian board? Bowel?

Here is my situation. I have had bowel issues with very bad ckinda constipation where i will go like a week without going. I have had all the test almost a year ago or less and was prescribed meds for like IBS for stomach fullness and gassiness. I have actually been fine lately and didn't even start the meds as i take enough already and am sick of it. Anyway the thing is i have like i said felt fine ect. but here lately it's a different feeling it's as if something moving in my stomach and this time it ilocated lower. It's kinda freaking me out. Tommrorow i go fro my ovarian cysts ultrasound for my recheck. I have lost alot of weight recently and my new dr. is concerned as well as with the cyst getting larger and the weight loss and my other dr. for this isn't doing routine paps. The only one he did was at the first appt. more than at least six months ago before they changed in size and the one he did was just in the office under thier microscope? So if you have any suggestions please let me know?
Love, Monkey
P.s about a month ago i was driving and i strained or something on the side of the cysts and it hurt like a sharp pain. like something ripped but this is the opposite side of the movement feeling!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-10-2008, 08:06 PM   #2
(female)

mommyandwifey HB User
Re: Not sure where to post?

Wow...I'm really at a loss. I have experienced an occasional mild rumbling in the stomach area (almost like a growl rumble except I'm not hungry). My gastro said it was likely IBS and I should add more fiber to my diet. Lately, it's subsided a great deal...even without the fiber. Anyhoo...the one thing you said that does concern me is that your Dr. is not doing regular paps. VERY, VERY IMPORTANT! I'm sure the vast majority of women here will agree that regular paps are imperative. In fact, many of us are here as a result of our routine paps and were able to catch any changes early. So while I'm not much help on your particular issue, I would urge you to push your Dr for regular PAPS and if he/she for whatever reason doesn't, I'd find another that would.

Hope this helps. Take care.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-10-2008, 10:44 PM   #3
(female)

TNWalker0709 HB User

Hi, I'm sorry you're dealing with these problems. I hope you get some relief soon.

Last year I was diagnosed with a complex, solid cyst on my left ovary. I had severe fatigue, an unexplained weight loss of 25 lbs in two months (5 lbs. in just one week), loss of appetite, feeling full after eating just a small amount, bloating in my tummy. I also had burning on urination, nausea, and pain in my abdomen.

I was diagnosed with IBS in January 2007 because of the bowel symptoms, which, in addition to the nausea and pain in my abdomen, included alternating constipation and diarrhea. I also had a lot of rumbling in my tummy and lots of gas.

In December 2007, I had surgery to remove both my ovaries (I had several other cysts at that time.) The cysts were benign, however I had extremely severe adhesions which were binding my ovaries to my bowels. That was what was causing the bowel problems. After the surgery, all of my symptoms disappeared, including the bowel problems.

It's good that you're getting your ovarian cyst checked out, though most ovarian cysts are benign. But as you can see by my experience, they can cause a lot of problems!

By the way, the Pap test wouldn't help diagnose any other type of cancer other than cervical cancer. It definitely wouldn't pick up ovarian cancer.

Good luck with everything.

Old 07-11-2008, 04:46 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

monkey5 HB User

TN, thanks for the reply! Your post sounds so familiar! I also found with my first ultrasound seeing i have had a hysterectomy that my one ovary has moved they said because theres more room in there. Maybe as my dr. was new for me didn't realize when she said that about the paps that i have had a hysterectomy removing everything except the ovaries. I'm serious you pretty much wrote what i have been going through. The only thing is that i'm stumped on the rumbling part as i know what that is like and this is diefferent but who knows everyones different and it might be just that it's just a different feeling it's not like the rumbling like when your hungry or gassy. I do hope this is the problem, take em out and be done bye bye issues as i am not taking anymore pills, i refuse to take what the gi dr. gives as that would make me take like five or six pills a day and i have anxiety enough and that adds to it! If it isn't the case and i get bad enough i will but in the meantime it's just very annoying. Thanks bunches, monkey
P.S. It wouldn't supprise me with my ovaries to be binding with my bowels ithier i mean gosh if it has moved. and not to mentioned all this cam about after my Hysterectomy.

Old 07-12-2008, 01:02 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

lucylucy HB User
Re: Not sure where to post? Maybe ovarian board? Bowel?

It sounds like you're doing what you need to do. Make sure they stay on top of it. A cyst is really easy to remove when it's small, but it's harder when it gets bigger. If they can get it out using laproscopic surgery, you're much better off. Not all types of cysts need to be removed, but if it does, smaller is better.

I had an ovarian cyst that my GP "watched" for almost two years. My GYN had retired and I didn't get a new one right away. When I got a new GYN/surgeon, she looked at the xray report and she was furious that they let it go so long. It was almost too large to remove using laporascopic surgery, but I was lucky that she was able to do it. The surgery turned out to be much easier than I anticipated.

I also had IBS for years, so I just assumed all my abdominal pain was due to that. The weird thing about abdominal pain is that "referred pain" is very common. You can feel it in one spot, but it really started somewhere else.

Old 07-12-2008, 01:16 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User

I am sorry you didn't feel like you wanted to take the meds for your IBS but I have to say that if you don't have a bowel movement in a week where do you think all the 'stuff' is going to go? It builds up so fast and It just sits in the colon building up and up and pushing back and then things start 'getting out of the way' so perhaps it is this that you feel moving around. And the sharp pains can also come from trapped gases as well. With IBS unfortunately you rarely empty out so you always have this enormous amount of stool building up until something gives. It starts pushing on your stomach and it can make you sick to your stomach to the point of vomiting or just feeling so full you can't eat. I am sorry you have all these other issues but really if you don't keep the bowels moving it is toxic to your system and can complicate everything else and you can also become impacted with BM. Good luck.

Old 07-12-2008, 06:03 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

estria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB User

Hello Monkey,

Sorry to hear that you are having such a difficult time.

Did you go for your ultrasound yet ? What did they find ? How are those cysts that you have been watching ? I am also still watching mine and my next ultrasound is at the beginning of August. My last US was in February and every time I experience any kind of tummy or stomach discomfort, I have this tendency to think the worst (like the cyst has multiplied to ten times its size or something). I put this away and it always ends up being some sort of normal gas or bowel movement issue and I feel so stupid .. but anyway I am only human.

If you had a pap smear 6 months ago, then don't worry about having to have another one right away. Pap smears don't test for ovarian cancer or anything to do with inner gynecological issues. They only test for cervical cancer. This type of cancer is usually very slow to develop and they can actually catch it when cancer has not even occurred .. ie. at the pre-cancer stage when the cells begin to change. This means that you don't have to worry about not having had a pap over the past six months.

As for the bowel issue, I think that you should definitely see if you can do something about this. Take a look at all of your medication that you are taking and see if any of these cause constipation. A lot of meds list this as a side effect and your problems may be caused by one or a combination of the medications that you are taking. Have you tried adding more fibre to your diet ? Do you know how much fibre you are taking in every day ? Veggies, nuts, legumes, seeds .. anything will help. Metamucil supplements in capsule form will also help .. it is a natural fibre so you don't have to worry about becoming dependent on it or adding more medicine to your routine. Also, are you drinking enough water ? I find that when I am a little constipated, increasing my water intake relieves the problem. You may also want to temporarily cut out anything that will dehydrate such caffeine drinks (switch to decaf) or things with a lot of salt in them. Exercise also does wonders to get your bowels moving again and I find that probiotics everyday keeps me regular. I take either a capsule supplement or organic non homogenized yoghurt (I alternate between these two things). These are all natural solutions that may help (if you have not already tried them). Hot baths and a heating pad on the abdomen can also provide some relief for certain types of pain so it may be worth a try.

I hope you find some relief soon. Try not to worry (as difficult as it is not to worry, I know, but worrying will accomplish absolutely nothing and will even make things worse).

Take care and let us know how everything goes.

Old 07-15-2008, 09:31 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

monkey5 HB User

estria, yeah i don't even know why my dr. said that about the paps like you said the only sure way to know wich i should have known was a biopsy. I am calling today to see if i can get the results, i'm sure thier normal, i went for my ultrasound last week. As for the bowels, i truly think i will start to bounce back from my thyoid level being so high for so long and it seems to get better every week and i kinda go back and forth, i am starting to agree that yeah probably IBS per dr. just i think something wich is normal that i just ended up with. It's crazy how alot of stuff i have issues with seems to run in my entire family but some less severe with me some worse. I just take one day at a time and hope for the best! I posted somewhere that i had told the GI dr. that i feel worse now that i eat better than what i did before i didn't worry. He told me maybe it's just the way my body is going to work and not worry too much about not getting enough of this or that and cut back on other things! Take care and thanks for the reply!
Monkey

Old 07-16-2008, 06:33 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

estria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB User

Hi Monkey,

Hang in there.

Sometimes a lot of fruits and vegetables can cause gas and if you are not used to it, they can be a bit difficult to digest. By lightly cooking, blanching or steaming the veggies, this makes them easier to digest. Take note of any fruits that don't agree with you and replace them with others. For example, eating raw pineapple makes me horribly sick (nausea, diarrhea, vagal response .. the works) so I eat other fruits instead. Thank goodness for natural variety.

Keep meat portions small and drink a lot of water. I find that a glass of fizzy water with each of my meals and a few camomile teas throughout the day really helps the plumbing to stay calm (if you know what I mean ).

Just be sure to keep an eye on those cysts though. I know my radiologist is probably getting rich from my frequent visits but I am glad that he is there. If you find that your bowel issues have not resolved even with steady eating habits, go back to see your doctor or perhaps consider seeing someone else to get another opinion on the matter.

All the best and take it easy.

Closed Thread