It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2008, 10:00 AM   #1
(male)

greendave HB User
cant stop belching

i am a 65 yo male i had h pylori 2 years ago and even though the bacteria is gone i cannot stop belching. it has affected my life i cannot sleep . i am in turmoil from it all. . i recently had an endoscopy and nothing was found. does anyone have any ideas? thanks

Old 07-15-2008, 08:26 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dolysods HB User
Re: cant stop belching

are you currently taking anything? nexium? prilosec? I have the belching when my hiatal hernia flares. When it is really bad, there is no warning and i could belch while talking to someone.. so embarrassing! I go for another scope next week to see if there are any changes with a new doc. I've had a lot of flare ups lately but have also been under stress which seems to contribute.

One thing the doc told me that i haven't been able to get in a routine of is.. take my nexium at least 30 minutes before my largest meal. If i'm symptomatic it is easier to remember.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2008, 01:16 PM   #3
(female)

Texas Tomato HB User

Just wanted to say I'm in the same boat and I sympathize. After taking a long course of antibiotics last year for a sinus infection, I've suffered from bloating, belching and shortness of breath. PPIs didn't help. I've tried everything, including probiotics and digestive enzymes, to no avail. I can hardly go out in public because of all the belching. Somebody on this board suggested that esophageal spasms might be caused by a lack of magnesium, so I"m trying magnesium supplements now. I'll let you know how it goes.

Old 07-19-2008, 11:00 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

I had belching that was caused by reflux. Actually, years ago, I had a period where I started belching all the time, which was unusual for me. I finally went to the doctor and that was when I was first diagnosed with reflux. For a few years, I was on Protonix and that helped. It has since worsened and I now have a chronic cough as well.

My Endoscopy came back normal. It was the Manometry and 24 hr PH that diagnosed my reflux. I also recently had a Modified Barium Swallow and Esophagram that also confirmed the reflux.

If you think it might be reflux, I would check with your Gastroenterologist and request some PH testing. It really is the best way to measure if you have an acid problem.

Old 07-23-2008, 01:40 PM   #5
(female)

Texas Tomato HB User

Just wanted to pop back in here and say that the magnesium seems to be helping with the shortness of breath, but what's really made a difference as far as alleviating the belching has been taking chewable DGL. It's declycolized[sp?] licorice, sugarfree. Tastes vile but try it anyway. When I start belching, it just nips it right in the bud. It's been working well for me the last three days. Finally got some good sleep last night.

Closed Thread