It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2008, 08:32 PM   #1
(female)

Lizpuff HB User
Nausea and stomach pain

I have been sick for around 5 days now. I have pain on my left right on my lower rib and below them. It extends somewhat to my back as well. It stops hurting when I push on the area. At times the pain is on my right as well although not as bad. I do not have a fever or diarrhea. I am also experiencing nausea very badly. I have lost most of my appetite because of this and just in these past few days I have lost around 4 pounds because I am barely eating. I would really like to know what it is. I am putting off going to the doctor because my family has had health problems this year so I don't have much insurance left. I am a 20 year old female. I hardly ever get sick, and never go to the doctor but I will if I have to.

Old 07-14-2008, 11:47 PM   #2
(female)

monona HB User
Re: Nausea and stomach pain

Hi, my suggestion to you is go have it checked out if it continues. I also am experiencing stomach pain, though not as bad as when my sudden attack came on a week ago. I had a lot of pain all over my stomach (not stabbing shooting pains) and threw up 8 times last Tuesday. I continued to feel a little nausaus but now I can eat, although not as much as usual. I went to the doctor last Tuesday and my blood work shows I have an infection (my white blood count is high). I'm on an antibiotic. I go back to the doctor tomorrow for a follow-up and more blood work.
Like you, I don't have a fever or diahrrea. Of course I'm concerned that it could turn into something more serious if not treated.
I'm also in a financial hardship. I do have health insurance, but still can not afford to pay for all meds or even my co-pay.

Talk to your health care provider and see if they have financial assistance to help you.
I'm with Kaiser Permanente and I never knew they had a financial assistance program until the other day!
I would a least go have a blood test to check your white blood count, as you may have an infection.
Good luck and feel free to let us know the outcome. I'm curious.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2008, 06:24 AM   #3
(female)

candykiss HB User

(QUOTE Removed)

Lizpuff,

I'm a 20 year old female and I have EXACTLY the same problem... I have just come out hospital today for the 3rd time since April. Each 'attack' for me lasts no more than 6 days and is happening every 1-3 weeks. Like you I have nausea, loss of appetite, weightloss the times I have been admitted to hospital were for fluids.

My blood tests show a high level of inflammation.

Since April I have had an ABDOMINAL X-RAY which showed nothing

A BARIUM X-RAY which showed nothing

An ULTRA SOUND to rule out Gall Stones which showed nothing

An GASTROPY (Camera in stomach) which again showed nothing!!!

I am at my wits end -- I've not been to work since March because of this problem and have got no where further finding out what it is...

Next thing I am due to have is a Gastric emptying scintigraphy to see what speeds my stomach empties and if this shows nothing I will be sent for a HIDA scan which looks out how the gallbladder empties, as from my symptoms I am convinced it is something to do with my gallbladder.

Best thing to do is get the ball rolling for further investigation ASAP so you don't have to suffer with no solution x

Last edited by moderator4; 07-15-2008 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Posting Quote is unnecessary

Old 07-15-2008, 10:06 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

lavender01 HB User

I found a tick behind my knee it had bit in = on 5/25 - (Sun). On Wed. I was nauseated - so I went to the doctor - she did a blood test and put me on doxycyline. The blood test came back negative - a week later I went back still nauseated. Further bloodwork showed pyloric in my stomach - I took a 14 treatment of 8 pills per day. On the sat. morning after finishing -my stomach was hurting and still didn't feel good went back and she said the antibiotics probably caused an inflammation in my stomach - gave me nexium - she said if it keeps on probably have to go to the gastro doctor. I did last Thursday he said he thought it was IBS - (I do have that I know) wrote me a prescription for Bentyl. Fri, Sat. Sun totally nauseated from the time I get up until bedtime - it's not just a intermittent thing. It all the time! Today I am just totally nauseated again - I am so tired of this - the doctors just seem to think the IBS - but this nausea is different - It's been going on a month now! When I mention my gallbladder to them - they say well you had that test several months ago - I am just so tired of this!

Old 07-17-2008, 04:28 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

lavender01 HB User

I went to the doctor this morning - woke up with watery diarrhea I bet as of now I have been 13 times today - very watery. The doctor wanted me to get a gallbladder scan - that is in the morning and blood work and a stool culture! I am having really bad paid in my stomach when the urge hits! Also I feel now like you do when you are getting the flu or something - kind of achy and my back feels tingly.

Old 07-18-2008, 01:20 PM   #6
(female)

Lizpuff HB User

Well I went to the Dr. yesterday and
They took blood
They took urine
They did a full physical exam
They felt my stomach for any inflammation
They swabbed my mouth
They checked everything to do with my stomach
And what have I learned??
NOTHING!
They told me they would call me to tell me the rest of the results after they did more tests but I am not going to hold my breath.

Old 07-19-2008, 11:35 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

lavender01 HB User

I went to the hospital Friday morning - had gallbladder ultrasound, lab work and had to get stool culture material. That was something - I took it back to the lab this morning. There were 4 vials - 3 with something in them and 1 empty - when I went to the bathroom I had to put stool in each one! So I guess I will just wait for results now!

Old 07-23-2008, 07:45 PM   #8
(female)

Lizpuff HB User

Well I woke up this morning feeling very odd. I could not explain it to anyone not even myself. After getting ready and eating I figured out what it was! I felt normal! I felt sick for so long that feeling normal was odd to me! I hope it lasts but if not I am going back to the DR.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:54 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

lavender01 HB User

Lizpuff - I'm about the same way as you - when I feel "normal" it is very strange - cause it seems as though I feel bad most of the time. If I have a day with out my stomach hurting - it feels "strange".

Old 07-24-2008, 12:46 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

aether4 HB User

This may be an off the wall suggestion, that is if all the tests look good. But what about gastroparesis? A doctor won't find it unless that's specifically what they're testing for, and even then you may not have it every single day. I suspect I have periodic gastroparesis as I have a lot of issues with nausea, pain, and even vomiting food several hours after eating - and am in a risk group for it. But like you, I'm a bit low on funds and hardly eager for the tests they use to diagnose it - and I have plenty of days when my stomach is fine.

You may try looking that up, as there are some suggestions diet wise as to what will help and even if that's not your problem the diet will hardly hurt you and may even allow you to eat something on the days you feel bad. I've taken to drinking Ensure when I'm having bad days or can't risk my stomach acting up (at work), and that's helped some.

Old 07-25-2008, 06:41 PM   #11
(female)

Lizpuff HB User

I am going to look that up. So far I have not heard anything more from my dr. but later in the day after posting that I felt "normal" I felt the worst I have felt in around a week. This time I was so lightheaded I went to sleep around 9pm and slept until 12 the next day!

Closed Thread