It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2008, 12:07 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

janart HB User
sister update

Hey everyone well tomorrow we go for another colonoscopy. She is still having the pain on the right side not far from her belly button and she also has been complaining about some pain in her upper back across the middle. Its just symptoms that don't go together really. Gallbladder wouldn't cause pain in that part of the stomach I wouldn't think. Since they found the blood in the stool they want to repeat the c-scope. If he doesn't find anything I guess I will ask about the hida scan. All other scans have been normal. She had c-scope in June 06 and they found a pin worm but thats all he said anything about. I will let you guys know what happens. I know it helps to hear other peoples stories. Thanks friends(:

Old 07-15-2008, 07:17 PM   #2
(female)

nikkilewis HB User
Re: sister update

I'm sorry to hear that your sister is still having problems. Did your sister find out why she had blood in her stool the first time? That happened to me and it turned out to be two very small hemorrhoids.

I had my GB out 3 weeks ago. I've read alot of experiences from other people, and many of them have abdominal pains on the LEFT side, and it still winds up being the GB, so it could be the same in your sister's case. Does she get the back pain after eating fatty foods? ANd if so, do the abdominal pains happen at the same time? If so, it's quite possible that it could just be her GB. Let us know how her c-scope goes tomorrow. I'll keep my fingers crossed for her.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-16-2008, 06:54 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janart HB User

Hey everyone just wanted to give yall an update on todays c-oscopy. He said things looked good in there. He was able to get into a bit of the small intestine and did not see any colitis. No polyps found. He did biopsy the area where she is hurting and if nothing comes up there he would recommend upper GI and maybe a hida. She is pretty sore tonight. I didn't have that problem after mine is that possibly from the biopsy?? I will keep yall updated.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:54 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

janart,

Biopsies usually don't make you sore but some times twisting and turning a scopy in the colon causes some soreness later.
That will go away.

When I was having severe diverticular bleeding, the Gastro Doc gave me a Vitamin K shot. The bleed was so bad I lost about half of my blood. The Vitamin K made the bleeding stop and then the testing could not detect the bleeding site-- it had stopped.
A colonoscopy was done --I was given 2 units of blood and sent home. BTY I was on Plavix for about 6 months but that day I was taken off.

2 weeks later I had more Diver bleeding and the radioactive tracer test found the bleeding site--. a Colo rectal surgeon was called in and we decided to remove that part of my colon out-- Well it ended up being 2 1/2 feet-- all of my sigmoid colon plus some.

I certainly hope they find your sister's problem!!

God Bless---Harry

Old 07-17-2008, 10:53 AM   #5
(female)

Princess05247 HB User

Hi Jan..thanks for the update on your sis. Glad she doesn't have colitis or polyps. Hope they can find what's causing her problems. The Questran the doc prescribed me has been helping! I'm so thankful for it. I'm eating more foods now. I hope everything turns out ok for your sister!

Old 07-31-2008, 09:25 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

janart HB User

hey everyone I wanted to update yall and also to vent. I called the doc office for results on c-oscopy and the stool sample was normal but she said she didn't show where a biopsy had been done!!!!!!!! So she had upper GI xray Tuesday and they just told me normal again. I told her to check again about the biopsy because the doc told me he had done one. Also her stomach was not hurting before the test but after she drank the chalky stuff she started hurting in the same spot(right side belly button height) and I told her this on the phone this morning. She said she would talk to him. So what now?? The blood came from somewhere and so is the pain. And to top it all off the nurse that I have to deal with is a B you can tell she really cares about her job. She dated my cousin for a while but she doesn't realize this by phone and I haven't said anything. She wants him back so maybe I should say something or maybe I should just remind her that it was my ex hubby she slept with when we were still married years ago and go knock her out. Sorry yall its a small town can't you tell?

Old 07-31-2008, 10:14 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

janart,
I am sorry but I know the feeling. But Doctors think most bleeding is self limiting so there is no rush.

On 2/11/2002 I had severe rectal bleeding at 11pm and the gastro doctor on call that night wanted me to go to another hospital-- I told him I was on the way-- I could not drive because of bleeding so my son drove me.
I went directly in the ER and they gave me a room and did nothing until I passed out on the floor.
Well the Doctor came and gave me a shot of Vitamin K to stop the bleelding -- the doc ordered a SCAN test to see where in the abdomen the blood was coming from but of course the bleeding had stopped. My Hemoglobin went from 15.8 to 8.8 in 3 hours.
Did a Prep and Colonoscopy of course no blood --- then I was given 2 units of whole blood and sent me home. I was at the hospital about 18 hours. My PCP said later I lost about half my blood. I was so pale it even scaryed me.

Two weeks later I started Rectal bleeding again and went to the same ER and the bleeding had stopped and they sent me home without my Gastro doctor ever seeing me. 2 days more blood & went back to the ER and another more experienced ER Doctor said I should never have been sent home.

The bleeding turn out to be diverticular and a ColoRectal surgeon was called in and we decided to operate-- 2 1/2 feet of my colon was removed on 3/4/2002.
I was in the hospital 7 days.

You just have to be presistant.

God Bless---Harry

Last edited by Harry; 07-31-2008 at 10:19 AM.

Old 10-20-2008, 05:59 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

sawbuck44 HB Usersawbuck44 HB Usersawbuck44 HB User

Janart, could it be a kidney stone?

Harry, it sounds like your bleeding is directly related to the Plavix. If you don't think it is, then what else could have caused it. Plavix does cause internal bleeding.

Last edited by sawbuck44; 10-20-2008 at 06:00 AM.

Old 10-20-2008, 06:31 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

The bleeding I had was related to Plavix and I was taken off of that drug then. It was a relatively new drug in 2001. But, I had the colon resection and do not have any diverticlars now since 2 1/2 feet of my colon was removed on 3/4/02.

Old 10-20-2008, 07:28 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

sawbuck44 HB Usersawbuck44 HB Usersawbuck44 HB User

janart,
my mom had the scope in her small intestines and they found a dieulafoy's lesion. Search for my posts for more background.

Harry,
I'm sorry, but don't you think that it is a direct result of taking Plavix that you had to have part of your colon removed?

Old 10-20-2008, 08:31 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

janart HB User

sawbuck thanks for your reply .that was actually back in July. Her pain has not returned. Its the craziest thing I have ever heard of. I do want to have another stool sample done though just in case. She has had a kidney stone before and so have I but our pain was mostly in our back those times. Take care

Closed Thread