It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2008, 09:02 AM   #1
(female)

wag0814 HB User
Unhappy megacolon

hi - I'm new here. I'm a 47 year old woman, live in Upstate New York.
I've been recentley diagnosed with "megacolon", and IBS. My colon (large intestines are 12cm large - the normal size is 4cm. This problem started back when I was a teenager, I had a peptic ulcer, and used to take over the counter meds to soothe the pain in my stomach, ex: pepto bismol, which was all fine and good, but I didn't stop there, if that particular medicine didn't take the pain away, I would try something else, and I really didn't wait for it to work - I wanted it to work IMMEDIATLEY, needless to say I had no tolerance for the pain - and no patience.

Now, I have this large intestine that does not work anymore, I'm stuck with taking MYRALAX, 34grams daily, and on a low fiber, low residue diet, I'm down to 118lbs, and going to the bathroom at least 10 times a day.

Next week, the 23rd - I have to have surgery, I had been hospitalized 3 times in the past month because of this, the colon is so large that it's twisting, and there's a good chance that it can perforate. The last time I was in the hospital, the surgeon said that I could have died, it was twisted and I needed an emergency colonoscopy.

Has anyone in here ever gone through what I'm going through ?
I'm scared to death.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread