It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2008, 05:57 AM   #1
(male)

gonzoj HB User
what causes choking in my sleep

what causes choking in my sleep

Old 07-22-2008, 12:58 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Re: what causes choking in my sleep

If you eat anything that causes the secretion of mucus 3 hours before bed time it can cause choking.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-22-2008, 03:14 PM   #3
(male)

gonzoj HB User

does that mean by eating anything before i go to bed

Old 07-22-2008, 04:20 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

Doctors that treat Acid Reflux recommend not eating anything 3 hours prior to bed. And, also elevate the head of your bed 4 to 6 inches. But, the foods that causes mucus are the worse --dairy products like milk and ice cream are bad.

We are all different and you may have some trigger foods that are worse for you??

Last edited by Harry; 07-22-2008 at 04:22 PM.

Old 07-23-2008, 05:14 PM   #5
(female)

like2opr8 HB User

Do you by chance have sleep apnea? My husband choked in his sleep several times and it freaked him out really bad because he could not catch his breath (he snores, too). Turned out it was sleep apnea and it never has happened again and it's been years now. He wears a c-pap machine and I must say it is one of the best inventions ever.

Old 07-24-2008, 02:15 PM   #6
(male)

gonzoj HB User

hi could you please explain what sleep apnia is as these symptoms are exactly the same as mine,also any info on the machine

Old 07-24-2008, 10:43 PM   #7
(female)

like2opr8 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzoj View Post
hi could you please explain what sleep apnia is as these symptoms are exactly the same as mine,also any info on the machine

Hi. It is where you snore a lot and stop breathing for short periods of time while you are sleeping. With my husband, he would snore then stop breathing then snore again really really loud as if he was trying to catch up on his breathing or catch his breath. This went on for years. Then a while back he woke up out of a dead sleep and could not breath and it scared him because he felt he could not make his breathing start again. He described it like choking. That happened 2 or 3 times. After that he went to the doctor who sent him to a pulmonologist (I think). She had him do a sleep study and was diagnosed with sleep apnea. The c-pap is a machine that is pretty small and quiet. You wear a mask over your nose like they use to put you to sleep in surgery. The mask is connected to the machine by a hose and it pushes air into you. The only downside is it is a little hard to get used to but well worth the trouble. My husband is very used to wearing it. It helps him breath, his snoring is gone (unless he has a cold or something) and he is less tired and it is portable. I hope this helps you. At least maybe something to check into. It is scary to feel like you are choking.

Old 07-25-2008, 09:54 AM   #8
(male)

gonzoj HB User

thanks very much for your reply i will look into this and let you know.

once again thanks.

Closed Thread