It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2008, 07:47 AM   #1
(female)

Narda99 HB User
Gastritis and H Pylori

After an endoscopy done six months ago, I was diagnosed with gastritis and stomach polyps. Before the endoscopy I tested positive for H Pylori and took the three antibiotics treatment. I later tested negative for that, after the treatment. But I never did recover from the gastritis. I still have a lot of stomach discomfort (gnawing, empty, hungry feeling, which feels better after I eat something) and gas. It has now been over six months and I am wondering if the H Pylori is back again. I hear it is very difficult to get rid of. I did have a blood test last Friday to see if it had returned. Has anyone ever had this problem? I am now on Nexium, Carafate, and occasionally Bismuth. None of these seem to help.

Old 07-30-2008, 07:55 PM   #2
(female)

pearlandmary HB User
Re: Gastritis and H Pylori

Narda99-I also had an endoscopy done about 7 months ago and found that I had a hiatal hernia, ulcer,GERD, gastritis and the H Pylori and the doctor gave me a regime of meds to take . I just went for a followup and advised him that I still had gastritis and still felt bloated, lots of gas, hungry feeling after i ate a meal. He told me to continue with Zegerid(which has not helped) and prescribe Levsin (sublingual) for a month. He also said I probably had Irritable Bowel Syndrome. He never suggested to recheck for the H Pylori like your doctor did, hmmmm. I wonder if I should suggest that? Sometimes I think some doctors don't really know what to do.
Anything that I eat makes me feel bloated and uncomfortable. Maybe I should stop eating period. LOL
Hope you feel better.

Mary

(Quote Removed)

Last edited by moderator4; 07-31-2008 at 12:07 AM. Reason: Quote is unnecessary.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2008, 10:28 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

H pylori bacteria can return but the test that is usually used is either the breath test or an endoscopy and take a biopsy. A blood test is not reliable because the H pylori bacteria can live a long time in the blood.

I usually get gastritis (stomach inflammation) after using almost any type of antibiotic and PPIs like Aciphex, Prilosec or Prevacid do not help even after 2 months.

I have found an OTC remedy --Mastica taken twice daily between meals -- 2- 500mgm capsules and a probiotic supplement like PB-8 cures me in about 2 weeks. I first had it prescribed by an Alternative MD in 2001.

I now buy it online from Vitacost.
It is worth a try.

Harry

Last edited by Harry; 08-06-2008 at 06:35 AM. Reason: Typos

Old 08-06-2008, 06:15 AM   #4
(female)

londoner70 HB User

I was also diagnosed with gastritis and h-pylori positive after an endoscopy was done, I did the antibiotic regime, but the problems still insisted so the GI recommemded the breath test to check for the bacteria, it was gone. Problems persisted and I had another endoscopy this time erosive duodenitis and gastritis, and the biopsy for h-pylori was negative. Today it has been one year since my problems started, I have seen 2 GIs, and one ENT who said I haVe Laryngopharengal reflux(LPR).
Especially today I have horrible stomach aches, like I need to eat something, but even eating doesn't help.
I saw a dietician yesterday who has recommended very expensive tablets, some kind of probitics, which I should be starting them shortly.
I am desperate for solutions, by the way I am on 80mg of nexium.
I wonder if I will ever get better. I understand your frustration, and` hope you get better

Old 08-06-2008, 03:43 PM   #5
(female)

Narda99 HB User

Thanks everyone for replying to my message. It has been a long year for me suffering with this stomach. My doctor told me my H pylori was eradicated since the blood work came back negative for H pylori antigens and the stool sample was also negative. I have not found any medication that has helped. My GI told me to take my favorite antiacid, so I eat 2-3 rolaids. The only relief I can get temporarily is Pepto Bismol. I have been on Carafate for a year, but I don't think it helps at all. I have this huge, empty, hollow feeling in my stomach, like I am absolutely starved. It does help to eat. Then I burp and burp, and eventually I get horrible cramps (gas) in the bowels. Such a miserable feeling. I quite often wake up in the night with it. I think I shall ask for another endoscopy soon. I know I also have stomach polyps.

Harry, a question, does the Mastica have any side effects? I am diabetic on oral medication and have to be careful what medications, including OTC ones, that I can take.

Old 08-06-2008, 04:29 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

jacal5 HB Userjacal5 HB User

My mom had an endoscope and has h-pylori, gallstones, small hiatal hernia.
She took the antibiotics and was all right for a month, but now she says when she gets up from bed she feels nausea, her stomach is burning, she feels hungry, she feels full, etc.

She asked her doctor to endoscope her (at my urging) again to see if she still has h-pylori, but he won't, he says it should be gone. He told her she was having anxiety attacks and prescribed a tranquilizer! A few days later she called him again with her symptoms and he prescribed a medication stating with an "o" (I can't find her vial right now) that's similar to Pepcid or Nexium. I told the pharmacist that the doc didn't want to test her again for h-pylori and he just shook his head in disgust, and admitted she may need more antibiotics if the h-pylori isn't gone. I told him we might go to a new doctor and the pharmacist said, "that's a good idea!"

Any suggestions to help Mom would be greatly appreciated, she's 77 yrs. old.

Thanks!

Old 08-06-2008, 07:13 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mom also feels dizzy along with her other h-pylori symptoms and I was
wondering if anyone else is experiencing dizziness (she has High blood pressure also controlled by meds)

thanks.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:33 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

Narda,
I have not found that Mastica has any side effects. I think it is OK for you.

Harry

Last edited by Harry; 08-06-2008 at 09:35 PM.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:43 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

jacal,
You Mom should be tested to see if the H pylori bacteria is eradicated-- Ask about a more simple breath test instead of another scope exam.

Your Mom's symptoms sound sorta like gastritis that is not uncommon with the antibiotics that she was given.

Harry

Old 08-07-2008, 05:00 AM   #10
(female)

Narda99 HB User

I neglected to mention that I believe that stress contributes a lot to gastritis. I have been under tremendous stress this past year. Also, I neglected to say that I had a colonoscopy a month ago, which came out clean. Jacal, I wish I had some answer for you as I know how miserable this problem can be. I will try to purchase some Mastica as I am so desperate that I will try just about anything. When I go back to my GI, I will see if he will do another endoscopy, too. This problem really interfers with my life. Once in a great while I can get through the day without the stomach acting up, but that is rare. It doesn't seem to matter what I eat, bland or spicy, or in between, I still get the same reaction. But it does feel better with food in it.

Old 08-07-2008, 05:54 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Narda,

It was thought for years that stress was a big cause of ulcers and treated with anti acids meds. In 1982 a Perth, Australian Dr Barry Marshall,MD and a co- worker discovered that 85% of ulcers are caused by H.pylori bacteria. It took until the mid ninties to convince Doctors in the USA that taking antibiotic killed the bacteria andcured ulcers. He and the Co-worker recieved the Noble Prize in 2005 for their work. Some Doctor still don't believe -- not as much anti acids drugs are sold.

As you know gastritis is an inflammation of the stomach lining. Many people are helped using PPI but they have never helped me-- But, Mastica certainly has -- I am retired and not under much stress.

Harry

Old 08-07-2008, 06:08 AM   #12
(female)

Narda99 HB User

I am aware of the findings you mentioned. I, too, am retired and have taken Nexium for years for GERD. My dad was an ulcer sufferer all of his life. He finally had 2/3 of his stomach removed in his 70's, and was fine thereafter. My GP says the tendency for stomach problems is somewhat heredity. Right now we are trying to cope with a terminally ill young person in our family and I am sure my stress has created some of my stomach problems.

Old 08-08-2008, 05:14 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Harry,

Mom still doesn't feel good and wants to go to the ER because her doc won't test her again for h-pylori. I did further research and the best way to go is the stool antigen test if you have been treated with antibiotics already. The web-site claimed that the breath test is very expensive and not a definitive way to determine of h-pylori is still present. I called three other gastroenterologists in my area and they can't see her until the end of the month or past Labor Day!

In my research I read that some theories are that h-pylori can be spread from individual to individual through saliva, inhaling the air (from a foot or less away) while an h-pylori sufferer vomited (I was standing right next to Mom while she vomited), feces, etc. It's scary.

I am thinking that maybe Mom's boyfriend and I should be tested also, but we don't have gastritis symptoms, but I read that doesn't matter, most people don't have symptoms.

Last edited by jacal5; 08-08-2008 at 05:15 AM.

Old 08-08-2008, 05:40 AM   #14
(female)

Narda99 HB User

Jacal,

You are correct about the stool test. That is what my GI said, and he did one on me, which came back negative. The breath test is very expensive. Hope you find a doctor who will do it for you. It is just a matter of taking a sample of stool to the lab, and a few days later the doctor will call with the results.

Old 08-08-2008, 06:52 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks Narda, I'm having trouble with Mom today, she keeps arguing that her symptoms aren't from gastritis related h-pylori because she didn't have the symptoms (stomach burning, feeling full, feeling empty, dizzy) when h-pylori was found by the endoscope last month. She requested the endoscope because she was belching a lot and had a little acid reflux, but the other symptoms weren't present.

She is insisting she wants to go to the ER, maybe she should, so the doctor on call will order the stool test for her.

I told her regardless of what is causing her symptoms, she should still know if the h-pylori is still present.

Closed Thread