It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2008, 11:17 AM   #1
(female)

xrayu HB User
Talking Oh man I feel so much better! why dont Dr.s tell us this???

So,
I was surfing when I found this site and I am really glad I checked into it!
I have suffered for years off and on as I am sure that clicks with many, with my GUT. Teenage years diagnosed with gastritis , pain so bad it doubled me over. And then. poof it would be gone. Never did I realate it to what I ate or what was going on around me.

Years go by , problems off and on, had kids, tripets was the last pregnancy and with them came the terrible constipation to go with the gut aches. My mom had then too and called them the *galloping gut ache* , Ya I got that and the vericose veins heh.

Then they tell me I have IBS with constipation. Yay! finally something concrete ( no pun intended) They say eat more fiber! drink more water! I do all that and the fiber gives me so much gas I want to die but I continue and drink lots of water. ( And yes I did add a little a time and gradually increase) I must have the most sensitve colon in the world! And because I am a X-ray tech I can tell you all the nooks and crannies I have . Still constipated. All the dang time and this gets OLD! So then the Dr gives me suppositories, they dont work, I refuse to take laxitives all the time as they make my IBS kill me. or heaven forbid become dependent on them. Dr. examines me and says "OH you he have internal hemerroids, must be from the multiple birth, they need to come out!" LISTEN..... do not let them do that to you.... EVER!! I would rather have another c-sect, it is the worst imaginable pain you will ever feel and trust me , that first BM will make you see stars And then you wake up on the floor.

Still consitpated , with bleeding at times because ya know, then must of not got all those dang hemmies... so enemas become a way of life at times. I think, well this is not good.. what happens when I am old and cannot do this for myself ( thats me, always thinking ahead) So I start herbal programs.
Which work most of the time.

Meantime, the heartburn sets in. Like a brush fire in my chest. All the OTC stuff quits working so the Dr ( dontchajustloveem and the RX companies) puts me on Propulcid, then after awile that dosent work then Prilosec and then Nexium. WEll , I feel so much better! (I think) and I ask how long do I have to take these?? The GI guy says FOREVER!!!!! At the time the hosp. I worked at had good bennies and they were cheap so I think what the heck, as long as I feel better! Meantime the constipation gets worse. I wonder it this is all related I think. Now, they cost me around 60$/Mo. Oh no not Nexium, Prevacid, I cannot afford Nexium and my insurance co will not let me have it anyway!! Nice that they get to decide what I need /can have but that's the game nowadays.

( oh, an during most of this the Dr.s are also giving me pain meds as then seem to help but it does not help the constipation at all. "And I have tried the reglan gammut to as they said I have a slow digestive system........

Here lately I have been having the nawing/burning pain lt side of abdomen , right under the ribs , where your stomach is . mallox helps, I refuse to take more than one prevacid a day ( it had been suggested that I take more OF COURSE ! ) I search the net and find a IBS web site that talks about what to eat and what not to eat and to take the soluable fiber. I really feel alot better when I do take the fiber and it was nice to hear that I had been taking the wrong KIND of fiber. At least it works for me. But, I am still having the same gas/bloating, and cramping pain in the left side and now it is radiating into the back. Since I work in X-ray I discuss it with the Radioligist. He thinks I need a UGI and may have an ulcer. Well, I dont have one , I just have the ultrasound tech take a peek. She sees nothing. Ihave had upper and lower scopes , just last year and nothing there except they say the sphincter leading into the stomach is weak allowing the reflux. No Tics ( diverticuli) or Crohns or anything lower. Why do I still feel so yucky??? And by this time I am getting crancky and irritable and sooooo tired all the time. I decide it must be the smoking!! BAD GIRL

I decide to quit and use Chantix. It does work but man, has nasty side effects at least for me! And for some reason it really effected my IBS too and I had to stop. Doing good on not smoking tho

So one night, after dinner ( and I had a couple of alcoholic drinks) My husband and I go to bed . He is snoring away and I am in PAIN> It gets so bad on my left side, my whole stomach is puffed out and I think I am gonna DIE! Radiating into the back and I cant hardly breathe! It lasted for about 45 minutes and then many trips to the bathroom pleading for things to just pass. Oh yeah, I forgot they also have me take hysocamine (sp) which helps the bowel relax cox mine just clamps down. And Bentyl at times to help. It works but it just takes the moisture right out of my face, nose, mouth etc. YUK! So , then I get up and take Mallox and finally some relief! Next morning I still feel icky like most mornings. I dont know about everyone else but most of the time I wake up feeling cramping and pain lt side and down low in the pelvis until I go to the bathrooom. I forget what it feels like to have normal urges to go without pain and cramping and going several times.

Days later I find this web site and I RUN home from work at lunch and grab my Magnesium!! Take one and I tell you within a half hour I am feeling 100% better!! I took two more yesterday, one with lunch and one before dinner. I even ate (gasp) a little bit of ham and some pasta. No tummy aches and this morning I feel very good other than I was on call last night and did not get much sleep. I also have digestive enzymes that I will start to take again. I guess I did not give them enough time? And it probably will take some time to re-train my colon to function normally??

Man, never thought I would share so much with stangers : ~D

Thank you ,thank you ,thank you all so much for sharing!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2008, 11:10 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Re: Oh man I feel so much better! why dont Dr.s tell us this???

xrayu,
I am glad that taking magnesium helped --Reading your story is a horror Story.

As you may know magnesium is in every cell of your body and lacking it frequently causes cramping and spasms. Some experts think 75% of people lack magnesium even though it is in lots of foods.

If you lack magnesium-- you may also lack calcium and Vitamin D that is needed for absorption.

By the way -- alcohol will deplete your magnesium -- just 1 drink will make the level of your urine increase 500% the very next time you urinate.

God Bless---Harry

Last edited by Harry; 08-05-2008 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Typos

Old 07-29-2008, 08:10 AM   #3
(female)

xrayu HB User

Harry,

Hi, I am on day four now with NO prevacid and I am doing good but the magnesium is giving me really loose stools after years of being constipated all the time I dont mind. And I have absolutely NO cramping in my stomach or colon when I have to go. You dont know what it is like to wake up in the morning and not have a gut ache. (Or maybe you do)

I take 250 mg of Mag. in the morning, and with every meal and when I feel the heartburn coming on. so yesterday I took I think 5 of them. So maybe I am getting too much. One evening I had 1/2 of a ham sandwhich with lite mayo and mustard and 5 doritos and I got heardburn. I think it was the dortios??

Last night I had zuccini, torellini with alfredo sauce and fresh bass ( I caught myself!!) and I had no heart burn! I also had one cocktail. I feel great this am except for the loose stools. I have started walking in the AM before the heat and yesterday I walked for an hour, fast pace. Does the Prevacid have anything to do with gaining someweight ? I think I have over the years . I am 49. So , with cutting out the alchohol ( I use to have 2-3 in the evening) and walking I hope to loose a little. I am not severly over weight but I would like to loose 10-15 lbs and I would be at my highschool weight. I am 5'9 and 174lbs

That is very interesting about the mag loss with alchohol. My husband drinks, and at times way more than I do and I am gonna try to get him to take mag. And maybe this has been my problem for years! I like to have a couple of drinks when I get home from work, be it a cocktail or a glass of red wine and maybe my body just reacts differently, with the IBS and constipation and cramping.

Do you think I am taking too much mag? One time when I had the heartburn I did take some Mallox as I was on call that night and kept gettting woke up and called and the heartburn was not going away with the Mag only.

Thanks for your advice!
Jo

Old 07-29-2008, 12:29 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

Jo,

Magnesium is the active ingredient in some laxtives -- like Milk of Magnesia, Magnesium Citrate and Espson salts(magnesium sulfate) as well as Maalox. But, those are in material(large) doses.

As a mineral supplement the dose of magnesium is 400 mgm daily. Magnesium is only absorbed in 1 1/2 to 2 feet of the small intestines and not all supplement are absorbed equally because of the size that it is when broken down and in that area of your intestines. So, it is best taken in smaller doses 3 times daily. When taken once daily, only 8 to 10% get absorbed. If taken 3 times -- the absorption is increased to 36 to 40% a with normal digestive transit time.

Too much can cause a laxative / loose stool affect!!

Magnesium is a very important mineral in the body-- it is in every cell and 66% is in the bone for strength, it is needed for calcium & potassium uptake and is a vital catalyst in enzyme activity. Lacking it can cause muscle cramping and spasms as well as weakness, depression, twitching , PMS. Also, it aids in maitaining body tempereature and the body's pH balance. and Many ---- many other things --it is truely a miracle mineral-- There are books written about it-- -- One is "The Miracle of Magnesium".

Prevacid is a PPI and reduces acid in your stomach and does not make you gain weight.
As a matter of fact it is not good for digestion the food that need acid.

The magnesium that I like best and use is the chelated type. It is bonded to a protein amino acid -- glycinate. It is small and well absorbed in the intestines and eventually get to each cell more readily than other types. Albion Labs has the International Patent on it and sells it to Mineral & Vitamin companies for manufacturing and distribution. The ones I use are Solgar, Carlson and Kal. And it will tell you on the container that it is a Product of Albion Labs.

God Bless---Harry

Last edited by Harry; 07-29-2008 at 12:41 PM.

Old 07-29-2008, 03:39 PM   #5
(female)

Elga HB User

Hello xrayq

Glad you found a solution for your constipation and heartburns. I suffer with those same problems and have been taking magenesium citrate 150mg 3 times daily to help with insomnia issues, not sure if it really helps, but have not seen a change with bowel movements. I'm taking metamucil.

What is the wrong and the right fiber, you are talking about and could you please let me know what king of magnesium you are taking that helps you so much I also have acid reflux, seems like they go together. Thanks and good luck on staying pain free

Elga

Old 07-30-2008, 08:45 AM   #6
(female)

xrayu HB User

Hi Elga,
I dont know if we are supposed to *name* specific products or web sites on this web site or not . The fiber stuff I take I found on line and it is Arnica fiber which is made from a plant. It is much easier on my stomach and does not produce ( for me anyway) the gas that others including metamucil do. This web site gave me much information about IBS and I bought the book . It stated it was important to not eat a lot of fat and if you were gonna eat something that you know you should not to make sure that you had the soluable fiber on your tummy first.

The arnica works for me but I was still having issues with the heardburn, stomch and colon pain. I am still off the prevacid and every day on the magnesium gets better. I found one that has mag, calcium and zinc all together and I have my husband starting them too. I feel sooooo good! Let me know if I can tell you the web site? Are you taking the magnesium?

Thanks, Jo

Old 07-30-2008, 08:49 AM   #7
(female)

xrayu HB User

Thanks Harry for all the info. Still doing good. had a little bit of heartburn here and there but it seems to be getting less and less. Still no Prevacid!!!! I had just got a new rx and had not used them. I wonder if I can return them? Or just stomp them into the ground heh heh.

I found a suppliment that has mag, Calcium and Zinc all together. I do also take Vit D suppliments along with my multi's. I got my husband to start taking those twice a day. I will have to check around for the ones that you mentioned.

Again I am so thankful that I feel soo good!

Thank you!
Jo

Old 07-30-2008, 12:42 PM   #8
(female)

Elga HB User

Hello xrayu

I did not know of this fiber for sure will look it up on the internet too bad it cannot be bought in a pharmacy.

About the magnesium I was not asking a brand name, just what type because there are many sources of magnesium, citrate, carbonate, oxide ect...and they work differently on bowels.

I'm also taking supplements of calcium and D but seperatrly.

I read before that there is a link between constipation and reflux, you are lucky to have found out the "cure". I'm also on metamucil which is bad for gas, but then Nexium also is bad for gas, so it's just very bothersome.j

Very good advice about filling your stomach before having something that will cause heartburn, what a pain.....Have a nice day, thanks for responding

Elga

Old 09-09-2008, 09:47 AM   #9
(female)

chelspace HB User

Ummm!!!!!!!!! Thank you!!! Going to get some today...tried everything...I will let you know how it works for me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrayu View Post
So,
I was surfing when I found this site and I am really glad I checked into it!
I have suffered for years off and on as I am sure that clicks with many, with my GUT. Teenage years diagnosed with gastritis , pain so bad it doubled me over. And then. poof it would be gone. Never did I realate it to what I ate or what was going on around me.

Years go by , problems off and on, had kids, tripets was the last pregnancy and with them came the terrible constipation to go with the gut aches. My mom had then too and called them the *galloping gut ache* , Ya I got that and the vericose veins heh.

Then they tell me I have IBS with constipation. Yay! finally something concrete ( no pun intended) They say eat more fiber! drink more water! I do all that and the fiber gives me so much gas I want to die but I continue and drink lots of water. ( And yes I did add a little a time and gradually increase) I must have the most sensitve colon in the world! And because I am a X-ray tech I can tell you all the nooks and crannies I have . Still constipated. All the dang time and this gets OLD! So then the Dr gives me suppositories, they dont work, I refuse to take laxitives all the time as they make my IBS kill me. or heaven forbid become dependent on them. Dr. examines me and says "OH you he have internal hemerroids, must be from the multiple birth, they need to come out!" LISTEN..... do not let them do that to you.... EVER!! I would rather have another c-sect, it is the worst imaginable pain you will ever feel and trust me , that first BM will make you see stars And then you wake up on the floor.

Still consitpated , with bleeding at times because ya know, then must of not got all those dang hemmies... so enemas become a way of life at times. I think, well this is not good.. what happens when I am old and cannot do this for myself ( thats me, always thinking ahead) So I start herbal programs.
Which work most of the time.

Meantime, the heartburn sets in. Like a brush fire in my chest. All the OTC stuff quits working so the Dr ( dontchajustloveem and the RX companies) puts me on Propulcid, then after awile that dosent work then Prilosec and then Nexium. WEll , I feel so much better! (I think) and I ask how long do I have to take these?? The GI guy says FOREVER!!!!! At the time the hosp. I worked at had good bennies and they were cheap so I think what the heck, as long as I feel better! Meantime the constipation gets worse. I wonder it this is all related I think. Now, they cost me around 60$/Mo. Oh no not Nexium, Prevacid, I cannot afford Nexium and my insurance co will not let me have it anyway!! Nice that they get to decide what I need /can have but that's the game nowadays.

( oh, an during most of this the Dr.s are also giving me pain meds as then seem to help but it does not help the constipation at all. "And I have tried the reglan gammut to as they said I have a slow digestive system........

Here lately I have been having the nawing/burning pain lt side of abdomen , right under the ribs , where your stomach is . mallox helps, I refuse to take more than one prevacid a day ( it had been suggested that I take more OF COURSE ! ) I search the net and find a IBS web site that talks about what to eat and what not to eat and to take the soluable fiber. I really feel alot better when I do take the fiber and it was nice to hear that I had been taking the wrong KIND of fiber. At least it works for me. But, I am still having the same gas/bloating, and cramping pain in the left side and now it is radiating into the back. Since I work in X-ray I discuss it with the Radioligist. He thinks I need a UGI and may have an ulcer. Well, I dont have one , I just have the ultrasound tech take a peek. She sees nothing. Ihave had upper and lower scopes , just last year and nothing there except they say the sphincter leading into the stomach is weak allowing the reflux. No Tics ( diverticuli) or Crohns or anything lower. Why do I still feel so yucky??? And by this time I am getting crancky and irritable and sooooo tired all the time. I decide it must be the smoking!! BAD GIRL

I decide to quit and use Chantix. It does work but man, has nasty side effects at least for me! And for some reason it really effected my IBS too and I had to stop. Doing good on not smoking tho

So one night, after dinner ( and I had a couple of alcoholic drinks) My husband and I go to bed . He is snoring away and I am in PAIN> It gets so bad on my left side, my whole stomach is puffed out and I think I am gonna DIE! Radiating into the back and I cant hardly breathe! It lasted for about 45 minutes and then many trips to the bathroom pleading for things to just pass. Oh yeah, I forgot they also have me take hysocamine (sp) which helps the bowel relax cox mine just clamps down. And Bentyl at times to help. It works but it just takes the moisture right out of my face, nose, mouth etc. YUK! So , then I get up and take Mallox and finally some relief! Next morning I still feel icky like most mornings. I dont know about everyone else but most of the time I wake up feeling cramping and pain lt side and down low in the pelvis until I go to the bathrooom. I forget what it feels like to have normal urges to go without pain and cramping and going several times.

Days later I find this web site and I RUN home from work at lunch and grab my Magnesium!! Take one and I tell you within a half hour I am feeling 100% better!! I took two more yesterday, one with lunch and one before dinner. I even ate (gasp) a little bit of ham and some pasta. No tummy aches and this morning I feel very good other than I was on call last night and did not get much sleep. I also have digestive enzymes that I will start to take again. I guess I did not give them enough time? And it probably will take some time to re-train my colon to function normally??

Man, never thought I would share so much with stangers : ~D

Thank you ,thank you ,thank you all so much for sharing!!

Closed Thread