It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2008, 04:24 PM   #1
(female)

tbradm923 HB User
Problems after eating

For the past few days I have been experiencing tightness in my throat and jaw, tension headaches, and shortness of breath after eating. These symptoms exists regardless of the amount of food I eat. I sometimes experience these feelings after dringking certain liqiuids. A year ago I experienced the same symptoms. The results of an endoscopy revealed nothing unusual. I am really depressed because this condition is effecting my eating and I am losing weight when I need to gain weight. What should I do?

Old 08-01-2008, 11:39 AM   #2
(male)

3wilds HB User
Re: Problems after eating

I have a similar problem that has to do with eating. After I eat I get very tired and sometimes have to lay down and sleep. The last time that happened I was out for 5 hours in the middle of the day. Its like I get druged or have taken 10 sleeping pills or something. When I wake up I feel like I have a hangover, same thing in the morning. My blood sugars go down but it seems like not far enough for doctors to diagnose anything. I also had my adrenal function tested yesturday because that affects your whole body also, just like the thyroid so I would make sure all these things are ok with you and if your doc doesn't agree you have to do what you need to do to get the tests done to find out whats going on. If you just rely on one docs opinion they could be incompetitent and call it a head case because they can't find the reason so thats there last resort. I've been through it all and still haven't found my answer yet but at least the process of elimination is continuing to find the answer. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2008, 12:18 PM   #3
(male)

StevensBroken HB User
Re: Problems after eating

the tightness in the throats occasionally when eating sounds like a problem that i developed over many years, it got worse a little at a time until i was finally able to recognize that it was a particular food. Ultimately it got really bad and i elimated 'milk' altogether. later i came across a particular problem online called Eosinophylic Esophagitis, basically the esophagus constricts in response to a particular food. also this problem can happen from stomach acid at least according to what i read, one is Allergic EE and the other is Gerd EE.

Did the doc take a biopsy to check for EE when he did your endoscopy? EE can scar esophagus but i specifically requested this biopsy, and it was positive for me, but the doc said my esophagus visually looked good. so a visual inspection isn't neccessarily going to point to this, a biopsy with the doc looking for esinophils in the tissue, will give a positive or negative reading. endoscope procedures are supposed to have a risk associated with them, so instead you can keep track of what you eat or do some allergy testing to see if your potentially allergic to a certain food and then see what happens when you either eat or avoid eating that particular food.

I dont know how helpful the allergy testing is, I've had it recently, and it claims i have dog and egg allergies in addition to milk, but i've never had a problem with eggs, and i've been babysitting some small dogs and not have any issues with them. but it did find im allergic to milk, something i've known before the testing. At least it might indicate a food that you could then keep an eye on to see if it is in the ingredient listings of the foods you have been eating when you have a reaction.

cheaper then either of the above is keep a food diary of what you eat and when the problems occur, see if you notice a common food that you eat when you have a problem, (some allergens are milk, eggs, wheat, gluten, soy, etc.. ) you may have to check ingredients lists to notice the commonality between what you eat, since any single of these items is in just about everything, but im too lazy for that kind of thing, perhaps you aren't. Keep in mind allergens in food are normally proteins, for example milk has two proteins (whey-protein, casein-protein), but not all dairy/milk items have both milk proteins. that threw me off for when i was trying to figure out what was messing with me. I can eat butter, sour cream, real cheese, anything with casein/caseinate, but not whey, so no cream cheese, milk, icecream, anything with nonfat milk, or whey protein which is being added to everything.

Their are so many strange problems on these boards, that its very possible you have a completely different problem. I've developed some other problems that are probably completely unrelated and myself and the docs havn't a clue.

i meant to keep this simple and small, but sorry i failed.

Closed Thread