It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2008, 03:15 AM   #1
(male)

joe9 HB User
BILE in my stomach and BILE reflux! HELP Needed. please!!

HELP!!! ADVICE, PLEASE!!

I had my gallbladder removed 6 years ago and suffered from bile salt diarrhea ever since, but have successfully controlled it by taking cholestyramine, colestid, and welchol... but in the past 13 months I have had a persistent sour taste in my mouth and a coated tongue, and for the past 30 days have developed a recurring sore throat. I had one endoscopy 10 months ago which was fine... but I insisted on another one yesterday, which was not so fine:

My GI found a "half-liter's worth" of bile in my stomach during my endoscopy yesterday. He also said my stomach was inflamed. And NOW I am one devastated, terrified, and confused individual.

I am completely lost and without understanding or hope of any of this. My GI didn't even think it was necessary to do the endoscopy because I'd just had one 10 months ago and everything was fine... *I* was the one who convinced him to do another. HOW IN THE WORLD CAN I HAVE SO MUCH BILE IN MY STOMACH WHEN I TAKE A BILE SEQUESTRANT FOR DIARRHEA EVERY DAY???

He recommended that I take Carafate to coat my stomach 4 times a day, and this is something I am dead set against, but I am so frightened that I have no choice. I have started taking the Carafate.

If Keriamon is reading this, the GI is now possibly leaning toward the "slow emptying stomach" thing even though he scoffed at the notion when I suggested it to him last month. Don't you love these doctors? But though we have not discussed it in detail, I am NOT going to take the highly-dangerous Reglan, for reasons I've discussed elsewhere.

Of course, he and my wife and family caution me "not to read the internet!!" about these problems, but I already have. And it's not pretty. I cannot believe that I COMPLETELY FORGOT to ask him how my esophagus looked - which was the whole reason I asked to do this endoscopy!!! I have to assume that my esophagus is fine (at this stage - but how about in 6 months??). I guess if anything had been wrong with my esophagus at this point he would have told me. But I still have a sore throat that's worse today than ever (maybe made more irritated by the endoscopy proceedure itself??).

I've read a lot of horrendous things about "bile reflux"... that it's almost impossible to control, and that ordinary dietary changes and lifestyle changes will not control it, that only medicines (which I am opposed to!!) and possible surgery (!!!) can keep a lid on it.... but yet, even after meds and surgery, the bile reflux may still return!! As time goes on, it may turn into Barrett's esophagus and then esophagel cancer!!! And this is one of the worst kinds of cancer you can get!!

I am so mixed up. I am supposed to see the doctor again in two weeks.... he's taken more blood from me to run more tests. In the meantime, I am now going ahead and taking the Carafate to coat the stomach, but I am trying to decide what to do about the Colestid/Cholestyramine I've been taking.... the doctor tell sme to continue taking this for my bile diarrhea, but I almost want to STOP taking those bile sequestrants all together and see if I can make it on my own and deal with some occasional bile salt diarrhea. Maybe those bile sequestrants are bothering me.... but at the same time I am wondering if maybe the problem is that I am not taking ENOUGH of the bile sequestrants in order to soak up all of the bile???? I have asked my doctor about that, and he doesn't think that's the case, but it's something I am thinking of trying on my own anyway:

During the past 13 months I have actually taken LESS doses of Chloestyramine/Colestid/Welchol because I do not need that much of any of them to simply control my post-gallbladder diarrhea. I mean, it's common sense -- why take a lot of that stuff if you don't need that much to control your bile D, right? Well -- I am thinking of taking more to see if it takes care of the excess bile inmy stomach too.

Oh, I should mention that even though I didn't want to take any anti-acid meds, for the past 4 weeks I have caved in and taken Nexium and then Prilosec at my GI's request. When he says my endoscopy showed an inflamed stomach, I wonder if THESE PPI's are what caused this??? I didn't have any inflammation or any problem on my endoscopy 10 months back when I wasn't taking these drugs. He wants me to keep taking thse, but I am stopping them until I see him again in two weeks.

I am completely mixed up, and depressed. I don't even want to wake up in the morning. I can't tell you the negative things that are going through my mind.

Last edited by joe9; 08-02-2008 at 03:28 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2008, 01:20 AM   #2
(male)

hcvsd HB User
Re: BILE in my stomach and BILE reflux! HELP Needed. please!!

I'm sorry your going through this I dont have knowledge to give advise, I'm sure some one will.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:01 AM   #3
(female)

Microsludge HB User

Joe,

I have been reading some of your earlier posts and many of your symptoms sound remarkably similar to mine. I have been going through this nightmare since November 2008 have seen tons of doctors & there are still no answers. Docs initially thought my gallbladder was the culprit, but after many tests & scans; they dismissed it. I have no stones, no sludge, etc. My symptoms are chronic diarhhea - yellow, sometimes semi-formed bowel movements, that are also at times greasy and a CONSTANT bitter, sour, metallic taste in my mouth. I have long suspected that bile is the culprit in this and that the issues with my mouth & colon are related. No one have been listening. The only "medical" interventions that had been offered to me up until last week were Citrucel, exercise & stress reduction. Then some genius selt I might have a bacterial overgrowth of my small intestine & I was put on xifaxan - I am now on day 5 and nothing has changed.

I would be interested in hearing how you are doing.

Old 11-19-2009, 08:53 AM   #4
(male)

kingdigy HB User

I have bile in my stomach as well, plus i'm depressed. My doc. only put me on domperidone and magnesium trisilicate but they are not helping. What do I do??

Old 11-27-2009, 05:30 AM   #5
(male)

kingdigy HB User

Joe, I'm very sorry for what you are going through but trust me, you are not alone. It's true, Bile Reflux is a very bad disease. I also had bile pool in my stomach when I did an endoscopy in July this year and it's a day-to-day struggle. I have major depression as well and so it even makes my condition worse. The unfortunate thing for me is that, I live in Ghana, West Africa and so don't really have access to a good healthcare facility and even good drugs that could help me manage my condition. I have had no gall bladder surgery so I even wonder how I got this disease. People are attributing it to stress, which may be true... Unfortunately, I'm not a doctor so I can't tell you much but I think from all that I've read, the following may help you manage it a bit:

Don't eat too much fat
Sleep with your upper portion inclined at about 60 degrees
Eat smaller bits of food at regular intervals
Your last meal for the day should be at leat 3hours before bed time

The truth of the matter is, all these things may just alleviate the pain but the real solution to the problem is God. Do you believe in Him?
Read James 5:13-16 and act accordingly. I will pray for you too, ok. I am believing the Lord for a miracle and if you do too, I hope we'll get there. My name is King Taylor; do remember in your prayers too.

I'm very sorry once again for what you are going through

Old 11-27-2009, 12:28 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

gigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB User

I had my gallbladder removed a year ago. I had problems as soon as it was removed. I have belching, bloating, and indigestion. Last night I was up till 1:30 a.m with pain in my stomach. I had every test imaginable and the gasterologist claims I am crazy. He thinks it is anxiety or depression. I too take welchol for the bile but I am depressed. I feel there is something more wrong with me and I am fustrated too because no doctor can give me an answer.

Old 11-27-2009, 04:31 PM   #7
(female)

Donna1964 HB User

I'm right where you were when you posted this. I stopped the PPIs because it was making the reflux worse instead of better. If you have gotten any solutions since your last post please share them.

Old 11-27-2009, 04:34 PM   #8
(female)

Donna1964 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdigy View Post
Joe, I'm very sorry for what you are going through but trust me, you are not alone. It's true, Bile Reflux is a very bad disease. I also had bile pool in my stomach when I did an endoscopy in July this year and it's a day-to-day struggle. I have major depression as well and so it even makes my condition worse. The unfortunate thing for me is that, I live in Ghana, West Africa and so don't really have access to a good healthcare facility and even good drugs that could help me manage my condition. I have had no gall bladder surgery so I even wonder how I got this disease. People are attributing it to stress, which may be true... Unfortunately, I'm not a doctor so I can't tell you much but I think from all that I've read, the following may help you manage it a bit:

Don't eat too much fat
Sleep with your upper portion inclined at about 60 degrees
Eat smaller bits of food at regular intervals
Your last meal for the day should be at leat 3hours before bed time

The truth of the matter is, all these things may just alleviate the pain but the real solution to the problem is God. Do you believe in Him?
Read James 5:13-16 and act accordingly. I will pray for you too, ok. I am believing the Lord for a miracle and if you do too, I hope we'll get there. My name is King Taylor; do remember in your prayers too.

I'm very sorry once again for what you are going through
To King Taylor:
I'm trusting God too brother. I certainly can no longer trust doctors. That's what got me in this mess to begin with. I will be praying for you please do the same for me.

Old 11-28-2009, 02:10 AM   #9
(male)

kingdigy HB User

Gigi, I think you only get some relief when you realize you are not the only one going through this ordeal. I have bile reflux as well and don't even have access to welchol to deal with my bile... Anyway, let's just keep on researching and praying, there'll surely be a way out someday.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:19 PM   #10
(female)

sammypaw HB User

I know how you feel I am so unhappy to.Food was everything to me now i cant eat anything i like. i eat to live not enjoy. I have nothing to look forward to.

Old 10-30-2011, 07:37 PM   #11
(female)

quiltinfool HB User

I know your pain and your suffering. I didn't (don't) like what the Drs told me - no problem, nothing wrong here. THEN WHY DOES MY STOMACH HURT??????? So, I have worked out a regiman that works for me. First of all, never have your stomach empty - have crackers with you at all times. Eat small meals. No fatty or greasy foods. Never, ever eat chocolate or mint or coffee. Don't stop the Welchol (cholestramine). With this in mind.... When I wake up, a Welcol with a cracker. A cup of chamomile tea. 1 hour later a Carafate, then in about 15 minutes cereal with lactaid. 15 minutes before lunch, another carafate. Lunch with some bread before anything else. At 2 another Welchol. 15 minutes before dinner a Carafate then a small dinner. At 7 my Aciphex (a wonder drug - get it if you can). Before bed another Welchol. And, I sleep on my back with a wedge pillow and a heating pad on my stomach. This works for me. I know it's a lot of pills, but until the drs. decide to diagnose this and actually, you know, do no harm, it keeps the bile at bay. And, hopefully not doing any more harm. One dr actually told me to take tylenol.....

Old 11-04-2011, 06:21 PM   #12
(female)

quiltinfool HB User

You have to try Triphala. After just my first capsule I felt so much better - and every day I feel better with less noticeable pain in my stomach. This has to be a miraculous combination of herbs. I will now concentrate on using less carafate. Triphala helps with motility and emptying of the stomach - the bile, that is.... With the bile getting gone, the pain will be also. Go to the health food store and buy some - for $12, it's worth a try.

Closed Thread