Back in November I had a CT scan for kidney stones. It also showed, according to the report "multiple cholesterol stones are present in the gall bladder". I didnt think anything of it. But I noticed over the last month or so, I've had more pain after eating certain things like eggs. It has been more frequent but not nearly as bad as the many other people I've known who had to get their GB removed.
I went to a surgeon last week, and when he pressed directly over the gall bladder, it hurt really bad! And it hurt the rest of the day. And it also caused heartburn the rest of the day. He said, Oh it must be inflamed, and that's why you're in pain when I press on it. So it has to come out.
But since then I've been mostly ok. No major pain, really, nothing over a 2 on any given day, really (in a 10 point scale). He said I should schedule the surgery so I went ahead and made it for 3 weeks from now.
But I've been thinking about this and now I'm not so sure. I've known so many people who had it done and they were all in much worse shape than I am. So I'm worried that I'm doing this too soon.
By the same token, I'm afraid if I wait too long then I WILL be in as bad shape as these other people have been and I don't want to wait that long. So it's better to do it when I'm not in agony than to do it when I'm sick every day and in horrible pain.
I'm just so not sure what to do! What do I do? I just don't know!! Please help??
Can you tell me what that is, how it's done and what kind of results are supposed to come out of it? I'm not familiar with that test? What kind of results are you supposed to get to determine whether you need surgery? And is it really necessary in order to decide whether to have it or not?
I guess I'm just looking for opinions about whether I should do it now while I'm not having all of the serious problems that everyone else I've known was having before they did theirs. Is it too soon? Or is it going to be too late if I wait until I start getting sick all of the time?
I'm really not sure what to do and I just wish someone had something they could say to help me figure out what the right thing to do would be in this case.
A Hida scan is a test where a Chemical dye (radioactive tracer) is injected in a vein and a special camera takes pictures as the dye goes to the liver and into gallbladder. A drug (CCK) is usually inject to make the GB contract and squeez out the dye and the amount ejected from the GB is measured and less than 30% fraction is considered that the GB is not fuctioning properly. It also takes photos of where the dye is suppose to go and not suppose to go( any leakage). So, it tests the gallbladder and bile duct and other places.
It takes from 1 1/2 to 3 hours or so to conduct the test.
Last edited by Harry; 08-04-2008 at 09:25 AM.
Thanks for explaining that. I guess my question still remains - is having proof of gall stones via a CT and pain when having your gall bladder pushed on enough reason to have the gall bladder removed? The pain I get after eating isn't too severe, only about 3 times in the last 4 months has it been bad enough to where I was in a lot of pain. Otherwise, I've had a low-level pain most days, just not enough to where it was debilitating or anything.
My biggest doubt is just because everyone else I've known has been so sick and in so much pain when they were getting theirs out, but I'm just not at that point, so that's why I'm so totally unsure. I definitely don't want to wait until I'm as sick as they were, but I don't want to do it too soon if it's really not hugely bad. But if I do it now while I'm not as sick as everyone else has been, maybe my recovery will be a lot easier? I still don't know and I'm really upset because I can't seem to get a straight answer from anyone about whether or not my situation is concrete enough to decide to get surgery. The surgeon I saw seems to think so, but he's just s surgeon, so what does he know?
Ok, thanks for your opinion. I think you're probably right and I'm not going to cancel the surgery, I'm definitely going to do it.
You know, it's funny... This morning all I've had to eat is a couple of pieces of cornbread, plain. I made them from a mix with just water and 1 egg. Well...either it's my imagination or my gall bladder is hurting, not really sure. But maybe it's worse than I thought and I just need to stop finding excuses not to do it.
I don't have high blood pressure (it's usually 130/82) but the last time I had surgery, when I was in recovery, I think I heard the nurse say it was like 175/110 as I was waking up. So I spent some additional time in recovery. I'm scared because I don't want my blood pressure to go up really high due to the anesthesia or something. I'm scared of surgery anyway, so I'm just ..... scared. But I know I have to do this.
For what it's worth, I think you're right in scheduling the surgery. Do you really want to wait until one of those stones has blocked your bile duct and you develop cholecystitis--in which you will be very sick and will need urgent surgery? The surgery to remove your gallbladder is fairly easy and you should be back to normal within a week or so. Good luck.