It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2008, 09:54 PM   #1
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Nissen Fundoplication for acid causing breathing problems?

I would like to hear from any of you who might have had success with the Nissen Fundoplacation surgery. I would also like to hear from anyone who has breathing problems related to acid reflux.

According to testing, I have some "serious" silent reflux happening. My primary symptom is a chronic cough from the acid. I also have acid causing some bad asthma flare-ups from aspiration and irritation. My Pulmonologist has informed me that I will never be able to get my asthma under control until the reflux is under control. (My asthma is both triggered by the reflux and by my non-allergic triggers such as cold air.)

I have been treated for the reflux for about 6 years. I have tried all of the non-medical stuff (raised bed, sleeping on left, diet, lose weight, etc...) with no relief. I have been unsuccessful with Prilosec, Protonix, Prevacid 2x/day, Nexium 2x/day, Aciphex 2x/day and now Zegrid (still trying this one). I have supplemented with OTC stuff like tums and Gaviscon also. They worked with varying degrees of success over the years, but none are helping now.

For the last 3 months, I have had constant coughing and difficulty breathing despite heavy treatment for both asthma and acid. I am going in for some repeat testing, but at this point, it looks like I am going to need to consider the surgical option for controlling my reflux. From what I have read on the internet, the Nissen Fundoplication is usually only about 70-80% successful in helping with my type of problem. Not wonderful percentages, but I really need to get my breathing under control. It has been getting worse instead of better and nothing is really working.

Thanks in advance for your support.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-06-2008, 07:52 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Re: Nissen Fundoplication for acid causing breathing problems?

Mountain Reader,
I am sorry about your problems.

There use to be a member here that was diagnosed with Barrett's esophagus and had the Nissan Fundo surgery and was very satisfied-- her user name name is -Katie G- but she has not posted here since 2005 time frame.

You could look up some of her older posts-- some of them were very detailed.

I wish you well---Harry

Closed Thread