It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2008, 07:57 AM   #1
(female)

a1234567 HB User
Food Intolerances? Help!

Hey,
So I'm trying to get to the bottom of all my health issues these days.. I've had Acid Reflux/Heartburn, Stomach Bloating/Aching, and a breathing problem (feeling like I can't get a good breath in, constantly clearing my throat..) on and off for the past three years. The symptoms ease up sometimes and are horrible other times. In 2005 I stopped eating dairy and felt a change but eventually, even though I was dairy-free, I felt the symptoms again. I was also diagnosed with Fibromyalgia about a year ago and have since been on Lyrica and finally feel results with that. In April my Doctor put me on Nexium because I had the breathing problem again and after a month it seemed to have gone away. It soon came back and I went on it again for another two months. I just finished. He did a blood test for Celiac disease and said it came back negative. I feel like all my symptoms point to food intolerances and I really want to start an elimination diet. I'm already allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and intolerant to dairy, so I figure maybe there is something else there too. Does anyone know if my symptoms describe any other digestive disorders? I'm starting to get kind of nervous because I've had this for so long now..

Old 08-07-2008, 04:53 PM   #2
(female)

beth67 HB User
Re: Food Intolerances? Help!

Sounds a little like what I've been going through. Stomach digestive problems for two years, clearing of the throat also I feel not mentally sharp as I used to be and I feel slightly nauseated all the time, have a bloated feeling frequently but like you sometimes things are not that bad until the last few months I've been getting heart palpitations and very mentally foggy headed. Went to the Dr. and my blood showed some sort of autoimmune disease so were doing another panel that will hopfully pinpoint whats going on. I'm very suspicious that it's celiac disease. The had hashimotos thyroiditis in 2005 but had it out due to cancer and I also have asthma. Both are autoimmune diseases so it wouldn't surprise me if I'm getting another one. If you haven't tried going to an endocrinologist you might give that a shot also maybe some food testing. I'm anxiously awaiting my blood results. I'll almost be relieved if it's only celiac disease. Read on other sites about people changing their diets and are doing much better. I guess I could go on a gluten free diet for a few weeks and see what happens but it would be nice to have a blood test confirm things. Anyways, good luck to you and hope you find some answers soon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2008, 07:24 PM   #3
(female)

a1234567 HB User

Thanks for replying.. It can be so hard trying to figure out what's wrong with your body sometimes. I was seeking relief in being diagnosed with celiac too! When a nurse called me back with my results, she said they were negative and I said "Does that mean I definitely do not have it?" and she said "Yes". Then I find out that the blood test isn't 100% accurate.. I've been doing some research on food intolerances now and they can be in anything from wheat and gluten to food additives and dyes. At this point, I am willing to try anything, including getting rid of all that fake stuff from my diet (even though I don't eat that much junk to begin with..but sometimes those things are in foods you wouldn't think..). Good luck to you as well. Feel better.

Old 08-07-2008, 07:54 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

AuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB User

The blood tests are better than they used to be but still not 100%.

If you have family history + signs of long term malabsorption (osteopenia or osteoporosis, early onset osteoarthritis, thinning tooth enamel, short stature, bowed long bones, low vit D and calcium, night blindness from low vit A, frequent canker sores, easy bruising or infertility) I'd go ahead and get the biopsy.

They can check for other things, like H Pylori, while they're in there. Make sure they take AT LEAST six biopsies. If you can make it to a celiac center, they're worth it.

Closed Thread