It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2008, 07:14 PM   #1
(female)

susieq14 HB User
Question GI Bleed??? Low Iron

Not sure if anyone can help with this but I thought I'd try to get some guidance about a new problem please: tried to give blood July 3 but was denied because my iron levels were too low. Saw my PCP on July 23 for a 6 month follow-up and told him. He ordered some bloodwork. He usually mails a copy of the test results but I never got anything so I called the office on Tuesday 8/5 and his assistant called me back and said:

"you have some abnormal levels that indicate an iron deficiency and he is faxing a copy of the tests to your GI Doc. When I asked why she said since you are not having any vaginal bleeding perhaps you have a GI bleed or a malabsorption problem."

Today I received my copy of the tests in the mail and I called the GI doc. She was not in but the nurse that called me back told me she was surprised the PCP didn't order a stool sample test and just sent me to the GI. She agreed that my numbers were problematic and sent a note to the Doc asking what she wanted to do. Since her last day in the office ( vacation until 9/2) is next Tuesday she double-booked me an appointment at 2:40. (Doc already is double-booked from 3:00 - 5:00).

So what do I want/need the GI doc to do for me? Do I need to have a scope to check for internal bleeding? I had a c'scope in Feb05 and Dec 06 which were normal with the exception of an internal hemmi ( that I have never had a problem with) seen on second scope. (Ironically Doc did a rectal exam and stool sample showed blood and that was why I had the second scope.) Had an upper endoscopy in Feb05, Apr 05, Sep 07 and March 08. Upper scopes showed gastric polyps and a small patch of intestinal metaplasia.

I also have a hemangioma on my liver that this GI has been watching with MRI's. could this be a cause?

The only good news to come out of this is that I finally got my B12 levels tested. I've asked about having them done because I'm take 40mg Nexium twice a day for the last 3 years.

Thanks in advance if you have any advice. Sue

P.S. Ironically I am having a breath test Monday morning due to excess gas (belching and flatulence)

--
Sue: 57, Asthma(at 48), GI issues(GERD, IBS, Hiatal Hernia), High Blood Pressure

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2008, 03:32 PM   #2
(female)

Narda99 HB User
Re: GI Bleed??? Low Iron

Sue, five years ago I had intestional bleeding. After several colonoscopies, it was discovered I had a leaking vein in the cecum. It was called mylodysplasia of the cecum. After it was cauterized, the bleeding stopped, and the blood counts eventually came back to normal, after I had 4 units of blood. I was terribly anemia and could hardly walk across the floor without getting out of breath. Good luck.

Old 08-09-2008, 04:28 AM   #3
(female)

susieq14 HB User

Thanks Narda99 for replying. Sounds like you had a hard time with this issue - I'm glad that they found the problem and you are doing well. May i ask a question please? did you see evidence of the intestinal bleeding or was it found through bloodwork?

Old 08-09-2008, 07:52 AM   #4
(female)

Narda99 HB User

Well, my hemoglobin and hematocrit kept fluctuating, but mostly going down and down. I was also given stool tests which came back positive. I now keep the home test packs so I can test for mystelf, then I can get to the doctor and have blood work done. You can buy this packs at a drug store. They are called E-Z Detect, and they are so easy to use. Just throw one in the toilet after a bowel movement and it will turn blue if there is blood in it. They are very sensitive, and will show even the smallest trace of blood. I buy mine on line by the case. That is how often I keep checked because I never want to get that sick again.

Closed Thread