It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2008, 10:13 AM   #1
(female)

annie6262 HB User
Gall Stones - feeling sick all the time and diarrohea

My mother's friend is 83 and has had problems with her stomach for ages now. She has to be careful what she eats and has diarreah every so often. However, about 4 weeks ago she was taken into hospital with very severe stomach pains and had bad diarreah and was being sick a lot. They discovered she had a gall stone and a hiatus hernia (which she knew about anyway). However, she had a gall stone some time ago so either this is a new one or the same one but a lot bigger. I can't be more specific as my mum hasn't been able to speak to her as she's been so poorly.

So, she went into hospital and was told she had gall stones. However, even though she was still being sick a lot they sent her home and told her she must wait about 6 weeks for an operation - until she was feeling better enough to cope with the operation. However, she's still feeling really sick a lot and still has diarrahea. She also has contacted a bug and is really poorly. To me its a vicious circle - how can she be better to have the operation if she's still got the gall stone - as you need to remove the gall stone to make you better?

Is this normal for someone with a gall stone, and does anyone else have these problems? Also, what does the operation entail? Does having gall stones make you feel really sick all the time and give you diarrahea - and do they normally send you home from hospital if you feel that bad?

It would be bad enough if you were young, but when you're 83 it must be so much worse.

Did anyone else feel like this? And do you start feeling better soon?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2008, 11:54 AM   #2
(female)

Tazzycat HB User
Re: Gall Stones - feeling sick all the time and diarrohea

I felt like this for ten years before I finally had my gallbladder out because i could not stand the pain, the nausea, the bowel problems.
They put me in the hospital for 5 days on an IV to calm down my gallbladder before the surgery. The liquid nutrition in the IV was calming to my gallbladder, and the morphine made me not care at all about the pain.
What they did not tell me was that for about 6 months after the surgery, i had constant diarreah. Oh boy.
I stopped that with some little individual packets of powdered stuff added to water, a prescription called Chole-something, that regulated my bowels.
Now I can eat like a kid, anything i want, and no pain, no nausea.

Old 08-10-2008, 04:47 AM   #3
(female)

annie6262 HB User

Tazzycat,

Thank you for replying, I really do appreciate that. Reassuring to know that you had the same symptoms, and glad to hear that you are really doing well now.

Take care

Old 08-15-2008, 07:12 AM   #4
(female)

annie6262 HB User

We have now found out that she has MRSA. The bug the doctor diagnosed her with 2 weeks ago turns out to be MRSA. I just hope its not the serious form - there are apparently 17 levels of the bug and I just so hope its one of the less serious versions. Its so bad that you go into hospital and come out with a serious virus like that.

Anyone else had this?

Closed Thread