It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2008, 07:56 AM   #1
(female)

Teacher_Lady HB User
Exclamation Blood in Stool and Weak, Dr. haven't helped yet!

My mother is 62 years old. She's experienced blood in her stool and been very weak for the past 2 months. The dr. have given her a colon~ to check the end and an upper~ to check from the top. They have also given her the camera in pill form to check. They found minor various polyps~. They finally caterized something in her stomach that was bleeding. That was as far as his equipment could reach. But before that procedure she'd been giving in total 4 units of blood over 2 months. I believe her hemogolbin has been low over the course of this time. She is diabetic, high blood pressure. She had open heart surgery over 20 years ago. She has authritis. I'm tired of this back and forth with her normal doctor and the gastro~ doctor. They'll do this or that test and give her blood. Then, they finally caterized that place and we thought this was over. I'm sick of my mom being this way. I was wondering if anyone had an idea or could help. Thanks.

Old 08-10-2008, 01:14 PM   #2
(female)

Teacher_Lady HB User
Re: Blood in Stool and Weak, Dr. haven't helped yet!

Okay other symptoms, her shoulders and back hurt.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2008, 05:57 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

AuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB User
Re: Blood in Stool and Weak, Dr. haven't helped yet!

How's her liver? Her spleen? A dysfunctional liver can cause varicies (internal bleeding) by increasing blood pressure in the vein the leads in/out of the liver, the portal vein.

The spleen is a big sponge that cleans the blood of old blood cells, if it becomes inflamed, it can "clean" too much and cause severe anemia - it's a chicken-or-the-egg thing because severe anemia can cause spleen inflammation in the first place.

Both of those things should have been caught already in bloodtests (liver enzymes/CBC) or with the pillcam. Or was the spot they cauterized a varicies and not an ulcer?

How well managed is her diabetes? The kidney disease can cause anemia.

[url]http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/anemia/[/url]

Closed Thread