It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2008, 12:29 PM   #1
(female)

cat17 HB User
question about hida scan results

I work in a hospital, so when I kept having radiating epigastric pain friends in radiology did a gallbladder ultrasound, which showed sludge. Pain has been a lot more frequent, radiating into my neck from my mid epigastric area. When I saw my md in hall last week he ordered a hida scan w/o cck. After 2 hours the contrast was still completely in the gallbladder without any movement to small intestine. The next morning when they scanned again it was gone. The radiologist's final impression on the report was normal gallbladder function. Is it normal to have no activity in the gallbladder for more than 2 hours?

Old 08-13-2008, 10:54 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Re: question about hida scan results

cat,
It is not normal for a gallbladder to retain the radioactive dye for 2 hours and remain in the GB.
Why did they not give you the CCK to get an ejection fraction number?

Harry

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2008, 10:56 PM   #3
(female)

cat17 HB User

I don't know - I have an appt next week. The phys office called me yesterday to tell me they'd rcvd my results & they were normal. I said I wanted an appt to go over some questions w/ the phys. Thanks for your reply!

Old 05-18-2009, 08:22 AM   #4
(male)

StrangeRanger09 HB User

Hey Cat! I'm a Nuclear Med Tech, and I perform a quite a few HIDA scans, as a matter of fact, I'm doing one today w/out the CCK. There are several different reasons they would hold the CCK. One of them could be that they just wanted to check your bile ducts to see if they are emptying correctly, and wasn't interested in the EF % part of it. Another could be that you were on some sort of narcotic, i.e. morphine. Narcotics and CCK don't go well together, narcotics cause the sphincter of Oddi to close and back pressure to fill the GB, whereas CCK causes it to squeeze. So having those two working together wouldn't be such a hot idea.

just thought i'd throw my 2 cents in. : )

Closed Thread