It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2008, 11:17 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User
Reglan and Nexium

Hello everyone,

Do any of you take both of these medications? Have you noticed any side effects resulting from this particular drug combination? An increase in bloating, for instance?
My question is: are these drugs fairly safe when taken concurrently?
Have any of you been taking Reglan for a long period of time? If so, are there any adverse effects from its long-term use?

thank you,
flowergirl

Old 08-17-2008, 01:45 PM   #2
(female)

xrayu HB User
Re: Reglan and Nexium

Hi flower girl,

Yes I have ceraintly been down that road! Did they ( the drs) tell you that you have reflux and a SLOW digestive system? How long have you been taking Nexium? Works good huh? It does but it only adds to the problem in my opinion. You are not producing enough acid to digest the food so stuff is more sluggish going thru and that is because of the Nexium causing you to suppress the acid production. Reglan is supposed to help the *stuff * move along by increasing motility. have you read the thread about magnesium? Check it out. I have taken all the meds for reflux , and Reglan too along with Zelnorm and with no success. Maybe works for a little while and then back to the same old crap. I am off ALL of that stuff now, just taking Magnesium for the reflux and it helps everything MOVE along too. I feel so much better and NO bloating for this girl! I was having HUGE issues with gas and bloating on a DAILY basis. Man does that hurt. Read the thread, try the magnesium and be PPI FREE!!!!!!!!!

Jo

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-17-2008, 10:01 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Hi Jo,

thank you for your reply. It is very helpful. I will definitely read the thread about Magnesium. I don't know if I could take is as a supplement though -I am on a bunch of meds so there's a possibility of an interaction. I'd have to look into it.

I have been on the Nexium for about a year now. I believed for the longest time that this drug was CAUSING all my digestive problems. While I only had nausea to begin with - the only symptom -when starting the Nexium, it didn't take very long for me to develop a full-blown severe GERD. One thing though, the Nexium helped with nausea somewhat. I believe that is why it had been prescribed at first. The recent addition, Reglan, has taken care of all of the nausea. What a huge relief it is after so many months of nausea! It feels great not be feel sick all the time. Unfortunately, I've got other stomach issues. One thing at a time. Can you tell me if you get nausea as well? I wonder if it could be from the slow stomach emptying. I haven't had any tests in that regard. I do know that the meds I take make things worse by altering the digestive process. A few of them have gastric side effects (not specified). One medication can cause GERD. So, in my case, it probably is a combination of things. Fun never ends. Thanks for your help!

flowergirl

Old 08-18-2008, 05:37 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

skyy11 HB User

I was on Reglan w/ my first preg. for 6 months. It helped my nausea and food to move along. I was getting sick all the time and had a lot of acid reflux, which I also was taking Pepcid.

I did notice that while taking the Reglan I had major anxiety attacts and racing thoughts at times. Like I was crawling out of my own skin or something.

I am also wondering how safe it was to take Reglan while preg.? But I was soo sick and losing weight, it was important for me to feel better so I could eat for my baby. Does anyone know?

Old 08-18-2008, 07:58 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

sky,

I noticed that when I go to bed, as soon as I lie down, I get heart palpitations like you would not believe. If feels as if the heart is going to jump out of the chest. It is also physically very unpleasant, making me jump up. I am fine instantly, as long as I remain sitting up. Other than that, there is insomnia, some stomach pain, bloating and gas. These side effects are all new and started after adding the drug to my daily regimen. And yes, due to these new side effects, (or Reglan???) I am starting to feel some anxiety.
Does any of that sound familiar?
flowergirl

Old 08-18-2008, 02:37 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Canyondweller HB UserCanyondweller HB User

Reglan has many side effects, suggest you look on net to check them out. I take Motilium which I buy on line. It is not available in the US but it has no side effects and does the same thing. I think Nexium adds to my bloating. If there is no acid how can food digest.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:11 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi,

I talked to a pharmacist today about these two drugs. What you and another poster said about them makes perfect sense. Of course, the pharmacist believes one drug does not not necessitate the need for another. Yeah, right. She said they have many people on Nexium and no one complains about having slower digestion and/or stomach emptying as a result of the lower acid production. Yeah, right! I believe a lot of people on these drugs have side effects, they just don't know (as i didn't) how to put two and two together. Drugs are such a big business! Especially the ones still under a patent. My one month's supply of Nexium is eighty bucks. I often wonder if it even does ANYTHING! I swear all it did for me in the last year was make my almost non-existent reflux severe. I had gone from no GERD symptoms (besides pretty bad nausea) to ALL symptoms of GERD and LPR to boot in a quick succession within just weeks of starting the drug. Too bad we can't prove it. I believe Nexium works fine for some of us, and NOT AT ALL for others. I am in the second group. So why do I take it? I think my body needs it now. I tried to quit this drug recently and got sicker.

flowergirl

Old 08-19-2008, 04:36 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

skyy11 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowergirl2day View Post
sky,

I noticed that when I go to bed, as soon as I lie down, I get heart palpitations like you would not believe. If feels as if the heart is going to jump out of the chest. It is also physically very unpleasant, making me jump up. I am fine instantly, as long as I remain sitting up. Other than that, there is insomnia, some stomach pain, bloating and gas. These side effects are all new and started after adding the drug to my daily regimen. And yes, due to these new side effects, (or Reglan???) I am starting to feel some anxiety.
Does any of that sound familiar?
flowergirl
Yes flowergirl2day-

The feelings I had were worse when I would lay down.
I think my heart also felt like it was racing too.

Old 08-19-2008, 03:31 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ask your Doctor for a prescription to Omeprazole. It is Prilosec by by prescription and it should be much less if you have any insurance. Nexium came out when they were losing their patent on Prilosec so they developed the next stage drug that was supposed to hear esophageal problems as well as block the acid. Most people do just fine on generic. It only comes in 20mg so you would have to take 2, probably one before your big meals though some take 2 at once. If you have insurance it is much cheaper than Prilosec over the counter and exactly the same thing. You may not need the Nexium. It is ridiculously expensive in the US and available in other countries for pennies. You will experience what is called "rebound symptoms" when you try to stop. I solved that by taking Pepcid or Tagamet. I had to go off it once for a breath test and felt awful. I think you should experiment a little with other things.

In the meantime, don't eat chocolate, alcohol, fried foods or anything mint. Coffee can be bad toobut those things are absolute no's.

Old 08-26-2008, 11:02 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank you for your advice, Canyondweller. Sorry it took so long to respond. I just got back from holidays. Your reply is much appreciated. Nexium is ridiculously expensive here as well. I pay about $80 a month for it. The insurance does not cover it, because there is a generic form available. My doctor never once suggested the generic brand. I wonder WHY???

I find that Reglan takes away my nausea. I am so happy I don't have it so much anymore!!! I take Reglan 3x a day. Being nausea-free is great!!! I hope there will not be any bad side effects from Reglan.

Sky,

I have noticed some changes. They are most apparent after I go to bed. My heart starts to beat like it's going to fly out of my chest. I guess it's just the palps but they are enough to make me sit up immediately and take notice. This is also what relieves them almost instantly.

flowergirl

Old 08-27-2008, 05:24 AM   #11
(male)

eihcet HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowergirl2day View Post
Hi,
Yeah, right. She said they have many people on Nexium and no one complains about having slower digestion and/or stomach emptying as a result of the lower acid production. Yeah, right! I believe a lot of people on these drugs have side effects, they just don't know (as i didn't) how to put two and two together.
IMO, I agree. I bet many people have no idea, or just think it's the way things have to be. Could also be a lot of people have acid issues without motility and don't notice. Some people already have a slow stomach and then it spirals worse.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:45 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ask your Doctor next time for a prescription for Omezaprole 20mg and tell him why. I think your insurance will cover it. Mine does't cover OTC drugs either but it covers this which has to be with prescription. I have to double up on dosage so it costs me $7 for 60. It seems to be some sort of secret.

Old 08-27-2008, 09:41 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks for your advice. I will ask about it. Is it equally effective though? That is the big question. Nexium is supposed to be the best one of them all.

FG

Old 08-28-2008, 03:17 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nexium is one step up because they added something that is supposed to heal the esophagous, however, every Doctor I have talked to said they are basically the same. It is exactly the same as Prilosec. Some people get relief from one PPI and some from others. I think Nexium got the most advertising because it came out as they were supposed to lose their patent on Prilosec and that meant big bucks.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:29 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Canyondweller,

I know from a personal experience that some generic meds just don't measure up to the brand name stuff. I had one forced on me by my pharmacist as they had discontinued (or so I was told) my brand name calcium channel blocker. After just one day of the generic medication the chest pain started, accompanied by headaches. I put up with this for a couple of weeks. Trips to several pharmacies with my pill bottle failed to clear up the mystery. I think I must have been allergic to the fillers these pills contained. The active ingredients in both types of meds must match. Before I could change pharmacies, I was switched to another brand name drug from the same drug class. My symptoms resolved.

I am willing to give Prilosec a try. I don't like spending more money on my meds than I have to. It's more than enough as it is. Besides, if it doesn't work out, I can always go back on Nexium. There are so many people who take this medication and have no problems with it.

flowergirl

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 08-28-2008 at 10:30 PM.

Closed Thread