It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2008, 04:10 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

gigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB User
Gallstones

After my sonagram today I found out of two very tiny stones in my gallbladder and most likely will have to be removed because I can't continue to eat this way. I am eating rice and chicken, fish. Everything is plain food.

I am very depressed over this because I just want this nightmare over and I have all kinds of anxiety about the surgery. I don't meet with the surgeon till 9/8 -

Can anyone offer some kind words of encourgement? How can I feel good about all this?

Old 08-26-2008, 09:25 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User
Re: Gallstones

Gigi, I can't answer about gallstone surgery as I am still in the early stages of getting a diagnosis. I can talk about surgery though as I have had my share and my latest one was back surgery a few months ago. It's ok to be scared but look past the surgery and feeling better. The drugs, the equipment, the skills are so much more advanced and safer today. My husband has a rare anemia and had his spleen taken out and all his organs checked out while they had him open. He went home the next afternoon much to the surgeon's surprise. He felt that good. Well, he also hated the hospital food.
They will put you to sleep and when you wake up it will be a surprise that the surgery is over. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-26-2008, 10:53 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

My wife had a GB attack at 7pm one night after eating a fried fish lunch and we went to the ER later 11pm. She was seen and it was determined to be caused by gall stones.
She had the surgery the next evening at 9:30pm and was returned to her room about 11pm --- several hours later she got up to go to the bathroom.
The next day the surgeon came by and released her to go home at 3pm.
She walked in the house and later opened soup and made jello. I never helped her do anything from driving home.
She was on a light diet until being checked by the surgeon 10 days later--.

No problems eating or with any phase of her recovery.
That was almost 2 years ago.

Old 08-27-2008, 09:06 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Tivo123 HB UserTivo123 HB UserTivo123 HB UserTivo123 HB User

Gigi, I just had the gall bladder surgery a week ago Monday. Compared to my tonsillectomy from a couple of years ago, this has honestly been a cakewalk. I was expecting it to be bad, because my mom had her gb out 6 years ago and she was in bad shape. But I have this awesome surgeon who my friend had a couple of months ago, and I really believe he had a lot to do with it.

I had to be at the hospital at 6am that day. I was literally getting kicked out by 11:30am and I was home by noon! Yeah, there's some pain, particularly in the larger incision in the belly button, but honestly it hasn't been nearly as bad as I'd thought it would be. I think the thing that is annoying me the most is just that it itches really bad under the gauze pad but I'm not allowed to remove it myself, so it's driving me nuts. Itching is a sign of healing, so it's a good thing. There have been moments where the pain was a little bit higher than what I'd like it to be but I'm the biggest baby in the world when it comes to pain, and if I can handle it then anyone can. I'm serious. My biggest fear going into this was actually getting sick and throwing up after waking up from anesthesia, but even that didn't happen! I just made sure to tell the anesthesiologist to give me every possible drug to combat nausea that he has in his arsenal, and he complied, so I was totally fine.

I've been really tired though. I've been catching up on reading and I fall asleep while reading pretty easily. And I'm not sure if I'm ready to drive yet. Because of the tiredness. But other than that, I'm honestly doing just fine. And my friend who had it done 2 months ago had the same experience. She was sore for about 2 weeks and then she was fine.

I know you're scared because I was too, and I know that nothing anyone can say will help you feel too much better, because I was the same before my surgery. But I've known 8 people who have had this same surgery and the only person who had a hard time afterwards was my mom. And I really believe it's cause she waited too long, after she was already way sick from her gall bladder, and also she was much older, like in her mid or late 50s, so that has something to do with it.

It's scary to have any surgery. But I'm just saying, after having my tonsils out and suffering so badly being in constant unending pain 24/7 for 12 days straight, this is truly so much easier, I'm very pleasantly surprised at how quickly I felt ok. I mean, they totally kicked me out of the hospital when I was still coming out of anesthesia practically, so that should tell you something. I was only there for 5 hours or something and they kicked me out. And I've really been doing just fine since then. Yeah, there's going to be some pain, but darvocet is a wonderful pain med and it helped a lot. That and rest, not overdoing it, and just letting yourself relax for a week is going to make a big difference.

Old 08-27-2008, 06:13 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks everyone this makes me feel a little at ease. I am 40 years old and had two c-sections in the past. I was never put under since I was kid with knee surgery. When I had my wisdom teeth pulled - I was awake. I am just a big baby. Some people have told me if you had 2 c-section then gallbladder surgery is just a walk in a park. Thanks again for your kind words.

Old 08-27-2008, 06:14 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

how long are you under??

Closed Thread