It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2008, 09:47 PM   #1
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
What should I know about Nissen Fundoplication?

I have pretty bad reflux that has been affecting my breathing, inflamed my asthma and created a chronic cough for the last three months. I have been on ALL PPI's out there and NONE of them will work anymore. Multiple tests have confirmed the reflux is causing these symptoms. It is really affecting my quality of life. I am afraid the reflux will trigger a major asthma attack one of these days. My next step is to meet with a surgeon to talk about a Nissen Fundoplication. I've done a lot of research on the internet, but I would like to hear from people who have had this procedure.

What questions should I ask when I have the initial meeting with the surgeon?

Thanks for your input.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:07 AM   #2
(male)

greg1x HB User
Re: What should I know about Nissen Fundoplication?

The most important question is how many of the procedures he has done. I had it done in 1997 by a very experienced surgeon, but unfortunately it did not help me personally. Greg

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2008, 03:01 PM   #3
(female)

depravedangel HB User

My son had this op... and yes he lost alot of weight... he was nearly 14 stone and now he is about 9 stone ... he looks really thin .. plus you can not eat anything gassy... or large amounts of food it causes a bad feeling of trapped wind and pain, you cant burp and you cant be sick so that makes things unbearable if your ill and you feel like bieng sick and your body wont let you ... the pain because you cannot bring wind up in my sons words is excruciating ... he had it done 2 years ago and yes it stopped the acid reflux and regurgitation of food but we are currently waiting for a consultant appointment as my son wants it reversing.... he said he would rather suffer the acid and tablets for the rest of his life than an op that gives him pain evreyday.. he's 20 now .Oh bit of advice... after youve had the op if you choose to have it done... if they try to give you something to eat in the hospital only have about 2 spoonfuls of food or mush... dont have more.. my son came out of recovery fine ... was well they said right all he has to do to go home is eat and then you can go ... well you still have the same amount of hunger as anyone else so you will eat ... he had 1 weetabix in milk and 1 yogurt.... 10 mins later he was in agony.... there wasnt enough space in his stomache due to swelling and gas to allow the food to settle but it couldnt come back up as his op had tightened the eosphegus valve too tight... ive never seen my son in this much pain and the hospital cant do anything theres nothing they can give you but wait....
It is different for each person and i hope if you decide to have this op it works for you... good luck .. xxxx angel

Old 09-03-2008, 09:51 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Angel,

you've pretty much described my friend's experience. He was told he'd need another surgery to correct some of the complications of the first one. His advice to me: NEVER,< NEVER have this done.
I realize that some people have more luck with this surgery and it helps them with their symptoms. Anyone considering this surgery should find and talk to several people who had had it done for some feedback. My friend has more problems now than he before the first surgery.

flowergirl

Closed Thread