It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2008, 11:31 PM   #1
(female)

blackrainbow53 HB User
Unhappy ACTIVIA...will it help my awful, awful GAS?

Will Activia (or any other type of yogurt such as this) do anything to stop my CONSTANT gas and bloating? I've pretty much narrowed it down to intestinal gas, so I'm hoping maybe the probiotics will do the trick? (I do not seem to have any food allergies.) I have tried so many things/medications/treatments, and I am so unbelievably desperate after three years of this huge problem.
Any input PLEASE?

Old 09-01-2008, 11:33 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Re: ACTIVIA...will it help my awful, awful GAS?

The problem is your intestines need to be re-colonized or coating with friendly bacteria like acidophilus strains as well as others that produces lactic acid to kill off bad bacteria as well as help digestion --

Activia is a yogurt that is used for constipation. And,regular yogurt may help but may not have enough of the friendly bacteria cultures to really do the job.

Several Probiotics will work --- Pearls by Enzymatic Therapy, Culturelle, Primal Defense, PB-8 and Bifidus-- taken on an empty stomach--- so the stomach acids don't destroy them. I take all of these daily.

Foods like meats contain antibiotics (unless organic) , as well as taking antibiotics, birth control pill, chlorinated water, as well as too much processed foods that contains excess preservatives, too much salty as well as sugary foods, alcohol, stress and the list goes on -- that makes your intestines not as healthy as they once were when younger.

Excess gas as well as bloating just means your gastrointestinal tract is not as healthy as it could be!!

You know the inside of your intestines are not part of your body but are trying to digest food and you may also need some digestive enzymes -- Omega Zyme works well-- there are others.

I wish you well---Harry

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-02-2008, 06:25 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

reddoorblack HB User

I'd be interested in some information as well. I recently started the Yoplait, YO Plus. In addition to that, I bought some chewable acidophilus tabs this weekend at GNC (1.5B CFU). I'm hoping that this will help with my digestion and gas problems. BTW, I don't really recommend the chewables. Next time, if possible I will get capsules/tabs. They taste really nasty.

Old 09-02-2008, 07:45 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

reddoor,

If you want to make your intestines healthy -- you have to feed your intestines healthy food. Yoplait yogurt is not organic so the milk that it was made from probably came from cows that were given antibiotics and growth harmones as well as given feed that contained preservatives & herbacides. So, if you start our with an unhealthy material -- it certainly is not going to get better by fermenting it into a yogurt and adding acidophilus and fruit flavoring.

I suggest you get an organic yogurt that is made with more wholesome milk & has added more other culture strains. I like and use Stonyfield Farm but there are others on the market.

A probiotic like acidophilus decreases in its potency by heat and it does not do well in stomach acids. So, when buying acidophilus caps or pills get one that is refrigerated and take it on an empty stomach. Pearls by Enzymatic Therapy is a good brand that will re-colonize your intestines. I also like Culturelle. I have read that the intestinal cells die and are sloughed off every 14 days.

Since about 70% of your immunity originates in the gastrointestinal tract, it is very important to keep them functioning well and healthy.

Harry

Old 09-05-2008, 09:34 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

reddoorblack HB User

Thank you Harry! I will follow your advice.

Old 09-14-2008, 09:20 PM   #6
(female)

blackrainbow53 HB User

Thank you for your input, Harry. I apologize I didn't reply earlier as I have been very busy with school and never even checked my post until now.

I have been eating Activia daily for almost two weeks now, and I have had no improvement. I don't believe I have a problem with digesting food as my gas tends to increase when I am extremely hungry. I'd like to give those probiotics a try, but I do not know where to find them. Are they okay to take on my own, or should I ask a doctor?

Old 09-14-2008, 09:55 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Regular Medical Doctors generally know very little about probiotics supplements that are sold OTC.

The ones I suggested work well-- I personally don't think you need to ask a Doctor to use them!!

Old 09-23-2008, 07:12 PM   #8
(female)

blackrainbow53 HB User

Thanks! I hope to give some a try soon.

Closed Thread